Halloween Horror Marathon 2014

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Monterey Jack

Re: Halloween Horror Marathon 2014

#16 Post by Monterey Jack »

-The Keep (1983): 0.5/10

What in blinking blue blazes was THAT?! :? Absolutely incoherent horror(?) movie, not helped by the hideous, pan & scan version on Netflix streaming that looks like a 1984-era VHS tape. I'm sure the movie's visuals would look better in a proper, HD widescreen print (maddeningly, I just learned that Netflix used to have it in widescreen, but took it off to replace it with the crappy, ancient P&S version :x ), but even spiffed up, I doubt it would be any more watchable. Fun to see Gabriel Byrne, Scott Glenn and Ian McKellen in early screen roles, but otherwise what a piece of garbage, although I'll concede it likely made more sense in Michael Mann's original three+ hour cut that got chopped to ribbons by the studio.

AndyDursin

#17 Post by AndyDursin »

I remember coming across the film while I was taking a nap, during Christmas break in high school. I had seen the film on VHS already and thought it sucked. But I was floored when the end of the movie was completely different -- instead of the lame freeze-frame Mann ended the picture on, the film kept going and at least gave you something more satisfying than the theatrical cut.

I'm not sure the film would've made more sense in a longer cut -- I think Mann's problem was it was a vampire movie but he didn't want to call them vampires. He basically screwed with the whole concept of the novel...still pretty much anything was better than the theatrical version. Including this ending!

Monterey Jack

#18 Post by Monterey Jack »

Ugh, it was HORRIBLE...and it makes no sense to me why Netflix would have the movie in widescreen...only to pull it for that terrible-looking pan & scan print, which took away pretty much the only thing it had going for it, the visuals. :? Nothing more frustrating than seeing a movie from a director you generally admire as bad as The Keep. No wonder Mann basically disowned it.

AndyDursin

#19 Post by AndyDursin »

The girl, Alberta Watson, ended up on 24 many years later...

Monterey Jack

#20 Post by Monterey Jack »

OMG!!! :shock:

She was sporting some serious 80's hair in The Keep. :lol:

Paul MacLean

#21 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote:Fun to see Gabriel Byrne, Scott Glenn and Ian McKellen in early screen roles, but otherwise what a piece of garbage, although I'll concede it likely made more sense in Michael Mann's original three+ hour cut that got chopped to ribbons by the studio.
I laughed all through The Keep -- a gorgeous-looking but ludicrously silly and pretentious film. Tangerine Dream's score didn't help much either, being their usual sterile ambient sound design -- at least until the climax, when the tune from The Snowman suddenly appeared! :?

Monterey Jack

#22 Post by Monterey Jack »

The Hole(2009): 6.5/10

Modestly entertaining Joe Dante picture lacks either the comedic or horrorific heights of his best 80's work, playing like a somewhat bland mash-up of all his usual tropes (small-town suburban setting? Dick Miller cameo? Old monster movie playing on TV? Wilhelm Scream? All present and accounted for). Bruce Dern is wasted in a supporting role. Eh, it's okay (and certainly not as lousy as Looney Tunes: Back In Action), but it's proof positive that the majority of the B-movie craftsmen of the 70's and 80's are running on fumes these days, if they can even get movies greenlit in the first place. The hot neighbor girl who looks like Jennifer Lawrence is a plus, however. :D

AndyDursin

#23 Post by AndyDursin »

Dante was done after SMALL SOLDIERS and LOONEY TUNES just sealed the deal. Regrettably.

Monterey Jack

#24 Post by Monterey Jack »

Funny how Dante has NEVER had a box office hit, except for the first Gremlins, and that was released at the height of producer Steven Spielberg's Amblin clout in the mid-80's. Even the Gremlins sequel basically tanked, although waiting a ludicrous six years to release it didn't help (even though I think it's a better and funnier film). Dude's basically stuck directing various TV episodes these days (I think I read he directed a two-parter of Hawaii Five-O, of all things :shock: ). Shame, as he directed some very good films back in the day.

mkaroly

#25 Post by mkaroly »

Dante's best film for my money was MATINEE. Also really enjoyed THE 'BURBS (great, great music from Goldsmith in both films).

Monterey Jack

#26 Post by Monterey Jack »

Matinee was charming (and would make a great double bill with Tim Burton's Ed Wood).

AndyDursin

#27 Post by AndyDursin »

I agree Michael, wholeheartedly, about MATINEE. Whole different movie than GREMLINS, but I'd also call it his best film. Heartfelt, funny, endearing, whimsical and wonderful (and of course tanked in the middle of January when Universal released it, but the subject was a tough sell anyway). A real tribute to William Castle and the genre filmmakers of the late '50s and early '60s, as well as going to the movies back in those days and growing up during the era. Goldsmith's score is one of his best of the '90s.

And MJ you should import that Blu-Ray when you get your multi region machine! One of the best imports I own :)
Funny how Dante has NEVER had a box office hit, except for the first Gremlins, and that was released at the height of producer Steven Spielberg's Amblin clout in the mid-80's. Even the Gremlins sequel basically tanked, although waiting a ludicrous six years to release it didn't help (even though I think it's a better and funnier film). Dude's basically stuck directing various TV episodes these days (I think I read he directed a two-parter of Hawaii Five-O, of all things :shock: ). Shame, as he directed some very good films back in the day.
I think you could call THE HOWLING a success, but most of his career -- it's true -- was off the success of GREMLINS. And he did deserve a lot of credit for that one. Other Spielberg productions tanked around that time like YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES so having Steve's name above the title wasn't any guarantee of success. THE BURBS might have made its money back, it didn't bomb...but otherwise he made a lot of films that lost money, especially INNERSPACE and EXPLORERS.

They definitely waited too long to make GREMLINS 2. It's a funnier movie and a terrific one, but also slightly more self-indulgent -- a studio would never give Dante carte blanche like that to make whatever they wanted today, especially considering the years it took to make it. Both that and GHOSTBUSTERS 2 should've been out in 3-4 years tops.

Anyway I do like many of his films, especially the early ones. He had a lot of creativity and humor going in a genre that was usually played very seriously back in the day.

Monterey Jack

#28 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:They definitely waited too long to make GREMLINS 2. It's a funnier movie and a terrific one, but also slightly more self-indulgent -- a studio would never give Dante carte blanche like that to make whatever they wanted today, especially considering the years it took to make it. Both that and GHOSTBUSTERS 2 should've been out in 3-4 years tops.
Gremlins 2 is certainly one of Dante's more self-indulgent movies (as he quipped on the DVD commentary, "I wonder how MAD Magazine did this..."), but it's also funnier and more consistent than the original, with a better ratio of frights-to-laughs and superior puppetry/animatronic effects. Waiting six years just killed it at the box office, though...when you wait so long that there's a different President in the White House, then it's been too long for a sequel. :lol: At least it was a far more entertaining exercise in self-indulgence than the lousy Looney Tunes: Back In Action, which -- impossibly -- was actually worse than Space Jam. Not only did it continue the annoying post-Roger Rabbit trend of matching up classic cartoon character with C-level celebrities (Brendan Fraser! Jenna Elfman! :roll: ), but it simply had no laughs whatsoever. You know a movie's not working when the funniest joke is Jerry Goldsmith quoting his Gremlins theme on the soundtrack (and how sad that was Goldsmith's last movie :cry: ).

Monterey Jack

#29 Post by Monterey Jack »

The Boxtrolls (2014): 8/10

Another madly detailed effort from the genius technicians at Laika studios (Coraline, ParaNorman) lacks the elegance and subtle wit of the former and the Did-They-Just-Go-There?! darkness of the latter, but it's another charmingly creepy confection regardless, brimming with astoundingly meticulous character animation and sets (which looked great in 3D 8)) and fine voicework.

Invaders From Mars (1986): 4.5/10

Tepid rehash of the usual Body Snatchers formula (remaking a well-regarded 50's sci-fi film unseen by me) is rife with often humorously poor acting and a decided lack of tension, not to mention a real groaner of a conclusion. Stan Winston's alien designs are sort of fun, and Christopher Young's score is solid (although the military climax was obviously temped with Jerry Goldsmith's Rambo music), but overall a misfire.

Monterey Jack

#30 Post by Monterey Jack »

The House On Sorority Row (1983): 2/10

Typical early-80's slasher follows all of the usual tropes, with typical mediocre results. Bad acting, little suspense, and even the gore is routine. Richard Band's score is fun, but otherwise pretty dire.

The Legend Of Hell House (1973): 8/10

Taut, well-directed haunted house thriller with superb atmosphere, fine performances (particularly by Roddy MacDowell), many eerie sequences. It's not up there with The Haunting or The Innocents, but it comes damn close.