and off are we with another remake

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
romanD

and off are we with another remake

#1 Post by romanD »

well, incredible enough that they are going to remake THE EVIL DEAD, but that's kinda understandable, because of its big marektable name... but now TERROR TRAIN??? Uhm, isn't the resurrection of Teenie-Slasher already back in the grave? Now a remake of a third-grade Teenie-Slasher? Hm, maybe they make an UNDER SIEGE 2-Slasher thing out of it... but this doesn't sound very convincing...

the remakers seem to run out of ideas... how about AMERICAN WEREWOLF? That hasn't been remade so far and is something nobody needs... is there anything else left from the 70ies and 80ies? Amityville, the Fog, TCM, upcoming: THE BLOB, THE FLY, TERROR TRAIN, EVIL DEAD? There was even the thinking of remaking HALLOWEEN???!!!!!

Send in your recommendations...

Well, I do look forward to THE FOG and THE BLOB could be really, really fun... but otherwise, please come up with new ideas Hollywood!!

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Doesn't that hideous AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN PARIS count as a remake basically? I think that movie was bad enough to put the kibosh on any other installments.

I can't see these remakes working, especially if not if the core elements that made them appealing in the first place -- like the original filmmakers -- aren't there. The original EVIL DEAD isn't one of my favorites (I prefer the humor of EVIL DEAD II and ARMY OF DARKNESS), but you can see it becoming just one more mindless hack 'n slash film without Raimi and Co. involved.

I wouldn't expect them to be involved, either, outside of some producing capacity, which is why I wouldn't anticipate this group of re-dos to work....at all.

romanD

#3 Post by romanD »

am not a big fan of EVIL DEAD I either, but the only thing it is really remembered for is the outrageous gore quotient, isn't it? And you can be sure, we won't see any violence like that in a remake... so what is there left in it?

I just wait for the day until they announce a remake of ALIEN... lol..

Neo Rasa

#4 Post by Neo Rasa »

At this rate I can't wait for Maniac Cop 4 starring Lorenzo Lamas and Claudia Christian. :P

MGM announced that an Amityville remake would be released on September 2004 (as in, the movie would come out on September 2004). Seems to have thankfully disappeared for now though.

What's really insulting about these is that almost no one sees them on name recognition. It really is Hollywood literally recycling the ideas right down to the name.

I can't wait for next week when it's announced that there'll be a remake of Citizen Kane starring Ben Stiller as Kane and Will Smith as the voice of Rosebud.

Evil Dead's low budget special effects allowed for absolutely rediculous varieties of violence. The movie would be completely canned if it were shot with realistic effects for what happens in it. Given the premise of the movie though, I don't understand why a remake would even be done. It's not any different from a billion other movies of its kind (though IMO is shot much, much better than the vast majority of them).

Eric W.

#5 Post by Eric W. »

A little something I saw in FSM under the scoring duties. I don't know if it's a remake or what, but I huddled in a corner and cried in fear when I read this.

Robert Folk (I love this guy) scoring...a new Police Academy film. :roll:

Neo Rasa

#6 Post by Neo Rasa »

Well at least I'll be buying the soundtrack ASAP.

So many remakes and tv series adaptations. I saw SWAT recently, what a piece of garbage. They at least used snippets of the classic theme here and there.

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Robert Folk's CANT BUY ME LOVE is one of the greatest scores of the 1980s (ok, for me anyway, on a guilty pleasure level).

I'm a big Folk fan. Ever hear IN THE ARMY NOW? One of the best scores ever written for a horribly bad film (and a super Intrada album).

romanD

#8 Post by romanD »

yeah.. Robert Folk is pretty underrated... his TREMORS score is one of the most exciting action scores ever! Amazing that another composer was allowed to have his name on the movie! Well, the main action theme was copied so often, really curious how that happened...

TOY SOLDIERS is also a great score... but have listened to it so often, that I can't hear it anymore... still.. great work!

Neo Rasa

#9 Post by Neo Rasa »

Robert Folk is fantastic in general. I agree about Tremors also. I'd say it and Aliens are two of the most imitated soundtracks ever.

I wonder how many years it will be before we see a Tremors remake? Hollywood is running out of sixties and seventies source material, and it's just a matter of time before every movie Michael Caine was in is remade.