Special Edition DVDs You'd Like To See...

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Harry Chen

1933 Kong is coming to DVD

#16 Post by Harry Chen »

Hi there!
I read this online a few days ago:
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-vid ... 06_15.html
and it's about theDVD of the 1933 King Kong.
Can't wait to get my hands on this release.
Also hoping Peter Jackson does a good job with his new version...

Harry Chen
Hong Kong

AndyDursin

#17 Post by AndyDursin »

That KONG has been in the works forever...I hope they get the deleted extracts (presuming they still exist) out there.

I'd also love to see a Special Edition of JAWS 2, one of my all-time personal favorites (I'd call it a guilty pleasure but it actually isn't that bad of a film!). The currently available DVD does have some great supplements on there, but the soundtrack is horrid: highly compressed mono that does no justice to Williams' fantastic score (the LD, as I've written before, sounds like stereo by comparison).

Torrance

#18 Post by Torrance »

THE TRUMAN SHOW!!!

The DVD that exists now is a joke - would love to here Carrey and Weir's commentary and see the deleted scenes that are said to exist - a film that good deserves to be better treated on DVD - also The Frighteners would be my second pick at the Special Edition treatment (with an Isolated Elfman score hopefully). Not sure if either of these are likely, but hey, we can always dream!!!
And they rode on ... in the frisculating dusklight

AndyDursin

#19 Post by AndyDursin »

Torrance,
There IS a TRUMAN SHOW SE coming out in the next few weeks from Paramount! I believe a documentary is on there and one deleted scene as memory serves, but I may be wrong.

I don't think we'll ever see the Dennis Hopper footage though -- didn't he play the Ed Harris role before he was replaced/departed/etc.?

Carlson2005

#20 Post by Carlson2005 »

AndyDursin wrote:That KONG has been in the works forever...I hope they get the deleted extracts (presuming they still exist) out there.
Rumour is they've found part of the spider sequence! (The UK DVD has all the other cut footage from the previous restored version plus the 30-minute documentary.) Expect to see this one around Christmas: can't think why...

mahler3

#21 Post by mahler3 »

AndyDursin wrote:Torrance,
There IS a TRUMAN SHOW SE coming out in the next few weeks from Paramount! I believe a documentary is on there and one deleted scene as memory serves, but I may be wrong.

I don't think we'll ever see the Dennis Hopper footage though -- didn't he play the Ed Harris role before he was replaced/departed/etc.?
Yes I had heard that too. I am really looking forward to this release, long overdue! Below are the extras listed on playusa.com:

Special Features
Two-Part Documentary: 'The Making of The Truman Show'
Four Deleted/Extended Scenes
Photo Gallery
Two Theatrical Trailers
Two TV Spots

Technical Details
Actors Jim Carrey ; Ed Harris ; Laura Linney ; Natascha McElhone ; Holland Taylor ; Brian Delate ; Blair Slater ; Peter Krause ; Heidi Schanz
Director Peter Weir
Certificate PG
Year 1999
Screen Widescreen 1.85:1 Anamorphic
Languages English - Dolby Digital (5.1)
Additional Languages French (Surround)
Subtitles English, French
Duration 103 minutes (approx)

http://www.playusa.com/playusa.asp?page ... tle=673334

..and what a great movie poster too! :)

romanD

#22 Post by romanD »

that SE of KING KONG is coming in November!

the trailer btw for the new Kong was pretty boring...

Neo Rasa

#23 Post by Neo Rasa »

After watching it again, the world needs a super special edition of Exorcist III/Legion. I wish Exorcist: The Beginning was more successful because then it would get such a thing in a heartbeat probably. Instead there's just that sad "trilogy" that's the basic DVDs of the first three movies together.

Also what happened with the Shrader version? Wasn't that supposed to be coming out around now?

AndyDursin

#24 Post by AndyDursin »

After watching it again, the world needs a super special edition of Exorcist III/Legion. I wish Exorcist: The Beginning was more successful because then it would get such a thing in a heartbeat probably. Instead there's just that sad "trilogy" that's the basic DVDs of the first three movies together. Also what happened with the Shrader version? Wasn't that supposed to be coming out around now?
Schrader's DOMINION received a token theatrical release in a few markets in May (opposite Episode III it had a terrible per-screen average on the few screens it played). Reviews seemed to be very mixed (a few people even said Harlin's movie, which I enjoyed despite its problems, was superior), but it got a strong review from Roger Ebert. I think we'll see it on DVD by the end of the year for sure...no date has been set, but it would make sense.

There were new rumors earlier this year about Morgan Creek doing a Special Edition of EXORICST III, but right now those rumors are sadly just rumors.

MarkB

#25 Post by MarkB »

Neo Rasa wrote:After watching it again, the world needs a super special edition of Exorcist III/Legion. I wish Exorcist: The Beginning was more successful because then it would get such a thing in a heartbeat probably. Instead there's just that sad "trilogy" that's the basic DVDs of the first three movies together.

Also what happened with the Shrader version? Wasn't that supposed to be coming out around now?
A SE of EXORCIST III would make my day, as well. I'd like to see Blatty have a chance to restore it back to his original version (minus the studio-imposed exocism), although the released version's pretty good (and underrated).

I would think the Schrader movie should be hitting DVD soon since it already had a brief theatrical release.

Mark

Carlson2005

#26 Post by Carlson2005 »

Morgan Creek refer to the blink-and-you'll-miss-it release of Dominion as the "I told you so" release: it's almost as if they were going out of their way to kill it. After Harlin's rather clumsy and unatmospheric take on it, I'm definitely interested in seeing it, but bearing in mind what a godawful mess Cat People was, I'm really not expecting a lost masterpiece but hoping for, at best, an interesting failure. Oddly enough, when the Harlin version opened in the UK (it played a week at most places to empty houses) it was advertised with the teaser trailer that only included footage from the original film and the Schrader version (which is also on the UK DVD).

The biggest problem with a restored cut of Exorcist III, which has been mooted in the past, is Blatty, who is extremely difficult to deal with. Generally it's been his petulance, greed and tendency to badmouth Morgan Creek at every opportunity that are holding that one back. Every time it looks like it might happen, he does or says something stupid or decides to sue someone - the last time it nearly happened, the plug was suddenly pulled when he and Friedkin sued WB for $40m over what they suddenly claimed was the 'unauthorised' release of the extended cut Blatty had been lobbying for for 25 years!

MarkB

#27 Post by MarkB »

Isn't there a different edit of EXORCIST III floating around somewhere out there? A TV version, maybe? Does anyone know what's different about it and what its availability is?

Mark

AndyDursin

#28 Post by AndyDursin »

Isn't there a different edit of EXORCIST III floating around somewhere out there? A TV version, maybe? Does anyone know what's different about it and what its availability is?
Sadly Mark there isn't: just the theatrical cut. To date there haven't been any variants anywhere, including TV (trust me if it was out there I'd find a way to get it!).

Eric W.

#29 Post by Eric W. »

Among several other first gen, barebones Paramount DVD's that sorely need a re-do...how about John Woo's Face/Off?

MarkB

#30 Post by MarkB »

AndyDursin wrote:
Sadly Mark there isn't: just the theatrical cut. To date there haven't been any variants anywhere, including TV (trust me if it was out there I'd find a way to get it!).
Damn, I could have sworn a friend told me he saw an alternate cut on TV years ago. Must be a case of wishful thinking. Or a full-of-**** friend!

Mark