Special Edition DVDs You'd Like To See...

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

#31 Post by AndyDursin »

Among several other first gen, barebones Paramount DVD's that sorely need a re-do...how about John Woo's Face/Off?
It's coming later this year! :)

AndyDursin

#32 Post by AndyDursin »

Damn, I could have sworn a friend told me he saw an alternate cut on TV years ago. Must be a case of wishful thinking. Or a full-of-**** friend!
lol. Could be...but there is no TV cut of EXORCIST III that has alternate/excised footage in it...just trims for profanity, gore, etc.

I'm trying to find someone who has the TV cut of THE KEEP, which aired on TV back when I was in high school (the early '90s) with an entirely different ending...went on for 5 minutes and had a more satisfying conclusion! (Paramount announced a DVD but then delayed it, and we haven't heard anything about it since).

Eric W.

#33 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:
Among several other first gen, barebones Paramount DVD's that sorely need a re-do...how about John Woo's Face/Off?
It's coming later this year! :)
:shock: :shock:

Ok! Well, what's the deal with Fight Club? I remember a two disc SE that came out a while back...and then disappeared. Is there another one coming or what?

Which version of this film should I own, or should I wait?

AndyDursin

#34 Post by AndyDursin »

Ok! Well, what's the deal with Fight Club? I remember a two disc SE that came out a while back...and then disappeared. Is there another one coming or what?

Which version of this film should I own, or should I wait?
That 2-disc Special Edition was packed with extras -- one of the best Special Editions that had up till that point ever been released. I wouldn't wait -- I'd track it down if you can find it (haven't seen what "the market" is for it, but I can't imagine it's that rare).

Neo Rasa

#35 Post by Neo Rasa »

Carlson you have a point about the garbage holding back an Exorcist III special edition, but at the same time I can almost sympathize with Blatty. It seems he had massive amounts of producer/executive bs to put up with during the production of The Ninth Configuration and Exorcist III. It's a shame as just based on those, I think he's a fantastic director and has a genuine atmosphere-building ability that's almost lost on directors today. I think it's notable how Exorcist III has very little actual gore on screen for this sort of movie, yet it remains disturbing at times. I'd love to see another movie from him in fact. Frankly if I were him, I'd be trying to push all the angles to milk money out of whatever Hollywood does with anything I was involved in too.

That two disk Fight Club special edition was carried by all the major outlets, you'd see stacks of them at Best Buy, etc., I can't imagine it would be too hard to find.

The Warriors and The Thing also had very different tv-edits. The Warriors has a completely different opening sequence, The Thing has a completely different opening sequence as well as a completely different (and weaker) ending.

Carlson2005

Exorcist III

#36 Post by Carlson2005 »

Neo Rasa wrote:at the same time I can almost sympathize with Blatty. It seems he had massive amounts of producer/executive bs to put up with during the production of The Ninth Configuration and Exorcist III.
Trust me, your sympathy is misplaced. Blatty is the architect of his own misfortunes more often than not, constantly starting fires so he can put them out and be hailed as a hero only to find out he's better at starting them than stopping them. It's worth noting that he has always been his own producer, too, even though his ablity to negotiate is rather poor at best: to put it into persective, as impossible to deal with as Friedkin was, Warners chose to freeze Blatty out and deal with Hurricane Billy rather than deal with Blatty on the first film - and they loathed Friedkin!

MarkB wrote:Damn, I could have sworn a friend told me he saw an alternate cut on TV years ago. Must be a case of wishful thinking. Or a full-of-**** friend!
Blatty's script was published in the UK alongside The exorcist and you should be able to order it via Amazon.co.uk. There are fewer differences than you might think - delete the exorcism and all the Nicol Williamson scenes and the only major difference is the mad 'nurse' dying at the same time 'Gemini' does. But it is an interesting movie, and it's always fun to spot Samuel L. Jackson in one of his "I don't talk about that one" roles (he's an angel in the dream scene).
Last edited by Carlson2005 on Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neo Rasa

Re: Exorcist III

#37 Post by Neo Rasa »

Carlson2005 wrote:it's always fun to spot Samuel L. Jackson in one of his "I don't talk about that one" roles (he's an angel in the dream scene).
Fabio's greatest role. :D

mkaroly

#38 Post by mkaroly »

Neo Rasa wrote: That two disk Fight Club special edition was carried by all the major outlets, you'd see stacks of them at Best Buy, etc., I can't imagine it would be too hard to find.
I am not sure about this, but the 2 disc special edition was supposedly taken off the market in favor of the single disc offering. The special edition is truly remarkable and it is my second favorite Fincher film (behind Se7en). They might have some copies out there, or they might have brought it back- they did the same thing with SE7EN not too long ago (but htat was Criterion, not Fox).

AndyDursin

#39 Post by AndyDursin »

I am not sure about this, but the 2 disc special edition was supposedly taken off the market in favor of the single disc offering. The special edition is truly remarkable and it is my second favorite Fincher film (behind Se7en). They might have some copies out there, or they might have brought it back- they did the same thing with SE7EN not too long ago (but htat was Criterion, not Fox).
They haven't brought it back yet, but used copies are out there and under $15...shouldn't have a problem finding one.

Eric W.

#40 Post by Eric W. »

mkaroly wrote:
Neo Rasa wrote: That two disk Fight Club special edition was carried by all the major outlets, you'd see stacks of them at Best Buy, etc., I can't imagine it would be too hard to find.
On the surface, Best Buy and Circuit City's websites say they have them. I'll guess I'll take a shot. The lack of availability, and OOP status, makes me still wonder if a newer Fight Club is forthcoming.

Andy, can you make a phone call or sniff this out, please? :)

AndyDursin

#41 Post by AndyDursin »

On the surface, Best Buy and Circuit City's websites say they have them. I'll guess I'll take a shot. The lack of availability, and OOP status, makes me still wonder if a newer Fight Club is forthcoming.

Andy, can you make a phone call or sniff this out, please? Smile

The Special Edition 2-DVD set they released is reference quality as far as supplements go -- it's packed with materials and even IF they do re-issue it, I can't see how they could possibly improve on it. Chances are they'll just reprise the exact same extras (yeah they're that good!).

Not one of my favorite movies, but it IS one of my favorite Special Edition DVDs :) If you can find it for $15 or less, go for it.

Fox has a tendancy of making 2-DVD sets go OOP, then they re-issue them in single disc variants (try PATTON, INDEPENDENCE DAY, etc.), then they re-issue them again in 2-disc form...with that studio I'm not sure it means there's a new version coming so much as it means they're trying to repackage their existing discs and get as much out of the marketplace for them as they can.

Eric W.

#42 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:

The Special Edition 2-DVD set they released is reference quality as far as supplements go -- it's packed with materials and even IF they do re-issue it, I can't see how they could possibly improve on it. Chances are they'll just reprise the exact same extras (yeah they're that good!).

Not one of my favorite movies, but it IS one of my favorite Special Edition DVDs :) If you can find it for $15 or less, go for it.

Fox has a tendancy of making 2-DVD sets go OOP, then they re-issue them in single disc variants (try PATTON, INDEPENDENCE DAY, etc.), then they re-issue them again in 2-disc form...with that studio I'm not sure it means there's a new version coming so much as it means they're trying to repackage their existing discs and get as much out of the marketplace for them as they can.
I know that Fight Club SE went OOP ridiciulously fast. I'll see what I can do...

MarkB

#43 Post by MarkB »

Q-BanditZ wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:

I know that Fight Club SE went OOP ridiciulously fast. I'll see what I can do...
Eric, in case you haven't found a copy yet:

According to TheDigitalBits.com today, the 2-disc FIGHT CLUB CE will be reissued on 11/29 ( SRP $26.98 ).

Mark

Eric W.

#44 Post by Eric W. »

MarkB wrote:
Q-BanditZ wrote:
AndyDursin wrote: Haha. Well, I've seen no murmurs or any discussion about a "new" FIGHT CLUB.

Eric, in case you haven't found a copy yet:

According to TheDigitalBits.com today, the 2-disc FIGHT CLUB CE will be reissued on 11/29 ( SRP $26.98 ).

Mark
Alright! I figured there had to be a catch somewhere. I'll easily wait now, thanks for that info! :)