Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Paul MacLean

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

#1 Post by Paul MacLean »

Well, I just saw the film. I wouldn't say it is necessarily "darker" than previous films, so much as it leaves-out some of the more upbeat and magical / mysterious aspects of the book. Its definitely tipped towards the book's darker elements and is needlessly grim and has a "density" to it (if that makes sense). Columbus' films -- for me -- evoked a real sense of childlike wonder. The first film was really like The Wizard of Oz for our time. But that sense of wonder is mostly missing from this film.

Its a poorly shot film, too -- color is so desaturated that it almost looks black and white in scenes. I realize that this style is "cool" and "with it", but I'm getting kind of tired of it, and I really don't care to see a Harry Potter film that is shot in the style of Saw. Even Harry's final scene with Dumbledore -- which should have been lit with the warm, reassuring glow of fire light -- get the same sterile, desaturated "blue" look.

I mean its not a bad film at all, and it is a wonderful story. David Yates and Michael Goldberg move the story along well, and retain most of the relevent scenes. It is probably a more even film (if less visually arresting) than Azkaban. And Yates probably handles the character relationships a little better than Newell or Cuaron does -- there is genuine warmth in the scenes between Harry and Sirius, Ron, Hermione, etc.

Still, why intruduce Sirius' house elf, when the scene which reveals the elf's sinister agenda is not included in the film? The exciting scene in which Umbridge and several other ministry wizards attack Hagrid, and McGonnigal tries to intervene, is also left out, which is too bad. And that really cool effect in Goblet of Fire, when Sirius appears in the fire to speak to Harry, is simplified for this film and does not look nearly as interesting.

And the score adds NOTHING to the film. It is mildly effective in one or two scenes, but completely fails to add anything to the climax. The final scenes cry-out for the sort of mythic, epic thunder that John Williams does better than anyone. Hooper filling-in for Williams is like Gilbert & Sullivan filling-in for Wagner! :roll: