EXORCIST IV: Paul Schrader's Cut *5/20 Release*

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

EXORCIST IV: Paul Schrader's Cut *5/20 Release*

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Apparently Warner will be distributing Schrader's EXORCIST 4 to theaters (everywhere?) on May 20th.

No word on how wide this will be, but I suppose the modest theatrical performance and DVD sales of Harlin's version must have been strong enough to warrant this kind of support.

Should be interesting!

romanD

#2 Post by romanD »

I will be in LA around that time, so I guess I can catch a showing there... who scored the movie now????

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Good question. I'm still trying to figure it out.

romanD

#4 Post by romanD »

i heard once that they just reused rabins score and sopmewhere else some weird band called dead dog or something did some score...

probably the movie had no score like the original or just some sound design or they just bought stuff like MISS CONGENIALITY 2...

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Angelo Badalamenti is listed now on the IMDB (along with Tevor Rabin)...it's weird that the movie has been screened but nobody has commented on it.

romanD

#6 Post by romanD »

good and interesting choice... I guess they can leave some atmospheric stuff by rabin just in... or the african chanting stuff...

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

I agree about Angelo. He's done some interesting, weird work -- along with some nice conventional scoring as well (Christmas Vacation, Cousins).

Let's see if it turns out to be true.

romanD

#8 Post by romanD »

arlington road is one of my favorite scores... really scary stuff!

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

OK I think I've gotten to the bottom of this. Talk about confusing, though it ultimately sounds like what we were thinking....

Here's an excerpt from Stellan Skarsgard's website (http://www.stellanonline.com/exorcistschrader.html), with Paul Schrader commenting on the score:

--------------
"I was allowed to complete my Exorcist, but only at minimal expense. To put the score together I had to be creative and call up some favors. The music editor and I were able to remix an hour of the Renny Harlin/Trevor Rabin score and adapt it to my film. The Rabin score, however, did not contain a 'theme' cue. For this I turned to Angelo Badalamenti (with whom I've done four films) who provided fifteen minutes of music gratis. The Rabin remix wore thin, particularly during the final twenty minutes of the film. For this I turned to some friends in the heavy metal group Dog Fashion Disco. They scored the last reel and we were able to go back through the film and integrate some of the musical elements. In addition they wrote and performed a song, 'Satan's March,' for the tail credits."
---------------------

Doesn't sound especially promising....but we'll see....

romanD

#10 Post by romanD »

i guess it will be in the end more sound design than anything else...