Flintstones, Season 3-Edited Episode

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Eric Paddon

Flintstones, Season 3-Edited Episode

#1 Post by Eric Paddon »

For those who pick up this set (where the birth of Pebbles reveals itself to be a true Jump The Shark moment) there is one episode that is a syndicated, cut version rather than the full-length broadcast original used for all other episodes, and that's on Disc 4 "The Big Move." Not only is one entire scene missing, but there's also no teaser preview before the main title and the H/B tag at the end uses audio of an old, outdated version played over the current visual tag used.

Not too serious a problem, considering how some TV shows are being released with an entire season's worth of cut episodes (ALF, Make Room For Daddy and Too Close For Comfort to name the most obvious ones), but still a bit of a nuisance.

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Gracias for the heads-up. I heard about ALF...are those all Lions Gate titles?

Eric Paddon

#3 Post by Eric Paddon »

Too Close For Comfort is a Rhino release (they have made amends and Season 2 will be uncut, but the cut Season 1 stuff remains), while Make Room For Daddy is done by Questar.

Questar incidentally also does the Joey Bishop Show and while the episodes are complete you only get opening credits for when you load the disc in, and no opening credits for when you pick any of the other episodes.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Interesting...I'm still trying to get over the changes in the GREATEST AMERICAN HERO sets. I flipped through them initially but as I'm compiling my magazine column, I can't believe how many of the songs were replaced, including the covers by Joey Scarbury!

And to think there's no disclaimer either -- back in the old days you'd get a disclaimer if even 5 seconds of a background tune were changed. Here, there are alterations "en masse," and not one word on the packaging. Pathetic!

Eric Paddon

#5 Post by Eric Paddon »

Music replacement I've heard was a really big deal in Season 2 of Quantum Leap, with almost all of the period songs replaced. I won't buy any of them from now on.

Knight Rider, Season 2, which I got yesterday, I'm told has a small disclaimer of "some music may be replaced" and the Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Season 1 set has it too, though I couldn't tell what might have been replaced there.

Thank goodness "Columbo", "Kojak" and "Battlestar Galactica" (original) didn't involve any potential music replacement issues.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Just watched a good dose of the HARDY BOYS box. Thankfully Shaun Cassidy's immortal classic DA DO RON RON is still there in its entirety!