Lucas Confirms STAR WARS DVD Box Set (Again) Plus More

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Lucas Confirms STAR WARS DVD Box Set (Again) Plus More

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

What a surprise!! ;)

George Lucas confirmed a few things at the Indianapolis comic convention he attended over the weekend, namely:

-There's a 6 DVD set of the whole series coming out with a possible bonus DVD showing CUT SCENES from the original Trilogy. No surprise here, as their absence was one of the notable omissions from the box set that came out last fall

-RETURN OF THE JEDI will be screened digitally with deleted footage reinserted

-Lame TV live-action series is confirmed??

Details Here:
http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/stor ... _91615.asp

Eric Paddon

#2 Post by Eric Paddon »

Why am I not surprised that Lucas is at it again with his umpteenth repackaging of the films on video, done in a way so that those who spent a lot the last time will feel they have no choice but to do it again.

Until he puts the original cuts out on DVD though, he won't be getting any money from me. The old CAV LD boxed set (with the films transferred to DVD) more than satisfies me now.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Until he puts the original cuts out on DVD though, he won't be getting any money from me. The old CAV LD boxed set (with the films transferred to DVD) more than satisfies me now.
I'm with you Eric, I did the same thing late last year.

That cut footage was one of my hang-ups with the DVD box he released last year. Clearly it exists (heck he put some of it on a CD-ROM years ago from the original Star Wars), and its omission was a glaring one.

How many more times can he milk everyone?? We'll obviously see, won't we??

Eric W.

#4 Post by Eric W. »

Lucas truly is the worst whore for his products I've ever seen. The sad thing is: I'll probably be a sucker and buy it.

Edmund Kattak

#5 Post by Edmund Kattak »

AndyDursin wrote:
I'm with you Eric, I did the same thing late last year.

That cut footage was one of my hang-ups with the DVD box he released last year. Clearly it exists (heck he put some of it on a CD-ROM years ago from the original Star Wars), and its omission was a glaring one.

How many more times can he milk everyone?? We'll obviously see, won't we??
I have that CD ROM - STAR WARS BEHIND THE MAGIC. It has a great deal of cut scenes from A NEW HOME (The originally shot Jabba Sequence, Biggs and Luke on Tatooine). This is the only source of this material that I know of.

Incidentally, I wish I had access to those Laserdisc transfers to DVD. I have a copy of the original trilogy that was given to me by a family member who brought back a set from CHINA several years ago, but the chapter stops are horrible, audio and video is out of sync in spots, and the Dolby Digital 5.1 sounds curiously like the surround information is missing.
However, at least the movies are the original widescreen theatrical releases.
Indeed,
Ed

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Incidentally, I wish I had access to those Laserdisc transfers to DVD. I have a copy of the original trilogy that was given to me by a family member who brought back a set from CHINA several years ago, but the chapter stops are horrible, audio and video is out of sync in spots, and the Dolby Digital 5.1 sounds curiously like the surround information is missing. However, at least the movies are the original widescreen theatrical releases.
I never picked those up and am glad I didn't after reading that. I transferred my LDs late last year along with some old MSNBC "Time & Again" shows about Lucas & Star Wars (you know, the ones with all the old Today Show clips!).

There's also a hilarious DVD out there worth tracking down called STARS OF STAR WARS, which consists of press junket interviews with some guy at the Phantom Menace junket (it's funny how he keeps telling Lucas, Portman, et al "how delightful it is to see you again!" when they have no idea who he is), plus older interviews with the same interviewer at the Empire Strikes Back junket.

Very inexpensive and a lot of laughs for the die-hard STAR WARS fan:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 25-7043931

John Johnson

Re: Lucas Confirms STAR WARS DVD Box Set (Again) Plus More

#7 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:What a surprise!! ;)

George Lucas confirmed a few things at the Indianapolis comic convention he attended over the weekend, namely:

-There's a 6 DVD set of the whole series coming out with a possible bonus DVD showing CUT SCENES from the original Trilogy. No surprise here, as their absence was one of the notable omissions from the box set that came out last fall

Details Here:
Andy,
Just a casual thought here, but does anybody think that Lucas will 'add' to the new boxset? Maybe he'll take out the image of Alec Guiness from the end of Jedi and insert new footage of Ewan McGregor as the ghostly Obi-Wan. Hmm, just a thought...

Eric W.

Re: Lucas Confirms STAR WARS DVD Box Set (Again) Plus More

#8 Post by Eric W. »

John Johnson wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:What a surprise!! ;)

Details Here:
Andy,
Just a casual thought here, but does anybody think that Lucas will 'add' to the new boxset? Maybe he'll take out the image of Alec Guiness from the end of Jedi and insert new footage of Ewan McGregor as the ghostly Obi-Wan. Hmm, just a thought...
That would most certainly make baby Q cry. And it doesn't make sense if he does.

I figured Lucas was going to pimp his barely mediocre prequels as much as possible, so it irked me a little bit to see young Anakin at the end of Jedi.

Why? Because it doesn't make sense. The only way it would have made sense, if Lucas had bothered to pay attention to his own continuity instead of whoring out his prequels, would be if Luke had killed Vader while he was still fully evil.

Then seeing young Anakin would make sense, because up until the unmasking and the talk between Vader and Luke, the person that was Anakin Skywalker was as good as dead. Those are Obi-Wan's exact words.

Because Luke was finally able to get through to him, before he died, Darth Vader died on the good side of the force as Anakin Skywalker. Therefore, having young Anakin at the end makes ZERO sense whatsoever, my hate for Hayden Christiansen notwithstanding.

By that count, having YOUNG Obi-Wan makes even less sense because he was ALWAYS on the good side of the force and died at a much older age.

The only so-called excuse that works is: "In the afterlife, everyone is young and healthy, not old." Ok. I can live with that, even though it again will completely take a crap on the mythos and continuity.

So they've put themselves in a box: You either have to keep everyone old at the end (the original footage that I would prefer since it makes perfect sense in terms of the continuity and mythos) or you use my lame excuse and you have to make EVERYONE young, including Yoda.

:roll:

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

By that count, having YOUNG Obi-Wan makes even less sense because he was ALWAYS on the good side of the force and died at a much older age.
That's exactly my reasoning as well.

It's not going to happen. If Lucas wanted to do it, he would have already -- it would have happened when he added Christensen, so I wouldn't anticipate in any regard that Guinness will be taken out of the sequence.

Eric W.

#10 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:
That's exactly my reasoning as well.

It's not going to happen. If Lucas wanted to do it, he would have already -- it would have happened when he added Christensen, so I wouldn't anticipate in any regard that Guinness will be taken out of the sequence.
Heh, I can just think of Lucas uttering this all too familliar line:
"I am altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further." :wink:

Harry Chen

Boxes sets galore!

#11 Post by Harry Chen »

theforce.net and ComingSoon.net report that on November 1st, Fox and Lucasfilm will be releasing/rereleasing SIX different Star Wars DVD sets.

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (Widescreen)
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (Full Screen)

Star Wars Episodes I-III (Widescreen)
Star Wars Episodes I-III (Full Screen)

Star Wars Episodes I-VI (Widescreen)
Star Wars Episodes I-VI (Full Screen)

What the heck? Worldwide release too...
Ready to pre-order?

In the making-of book of Episode III, the author writes that Lucas, when reviewing the DVD of Empire Strikes Back made a note to himself about a scene in Bespin (Cloud City) which he would fix in a later DVD release. Can't believe stuff has been further fixed since last Fall. After all, the garbage mattes are still in all the scenes with TIE fighters in Episode IV, and they are clearly visible...

Harry Chen
Hong Kong

Eric W.

Re: Boxes sets galore!

#12 Post by Eric W. »

Harry Chen wrote:...garbage mattes are still in all the scenes with TIE fighters in Episode IV, and they are clearly visible...
Which is exactly why I won't be in a hurry to get any new ones coming out this year. I'll wait for reviews, previews, and word of mouth.

I really don't care about the prequels, so there just isn't much incentive here for me, at this point.

AndyDursin

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

Any ideas if the actual, original Trilogy (IV-VI) cuts will be one of the options?

At this point I wouldn't rule anything out...though I agree it's wishful thinking :)

mkaroly

#14 Post by mkaroly »

None of the above posts surprise me- all I'm really interested in at this point is the possibility of having complete scores on CD for Episodes II and III. I had a feeling last year that he'd release another box set once Episode III came out on DVD- I should have waited. I still have the box set of original CAV Laserdiscs of the original trilogy (unmarred by digital re-editing). Those things are a TREASURE! I also saved the original releases of the remastered versions that hit theaters back in the day. I just find George Lucas to be so frustratingly difficult to respect.

Eric W.

#15 Post by Eric W. »

mkaroly wrote:None of the above posts surprise me- all I'm really interested in at this point is the possibility of having complete scores on CD for Episodes II and III. I had a feeling last year that he'd release another box set once Episode III came out on DVD- I should have waited. I still have the box set of original CAV Laserdiscs of the original trilogy (unmarred by digital re-editing). Those things are a TREASURE! I also saved the original releases of the remastered versions that hit theaters back in the day. I just find George Lucas to be so frustratingly difficult to respect.
The next step for Star Wars music, finally, should be either SACD and/or DVD-A treatment. Full high-rez multichannel audio.