MANHUNTER Theatrical Cut DVD (Japan DTS) for $12.99

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

MANHUNTER Theatrical Cut DVD (Japan DTS) for $12.99

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Just a heads-up for anyone out there who might be an aficionado of Michael Mann's MANHUNTER (superlative IMO to "Silence of the Lambs" and especially "Red Dragon").

The original, genuine theatrical cut -- which actually has still NEVER been released in the U.S. (Anchor Bay's so called theatrical cut actually isn't), and which most fans consider the best of all variant versions -- is out in many overseas territories.

From what I've read the "definitive" (or as close as we'll get) theatrical cut is MGM's DVD, which is out in Japan with DTS sound. There are other versions in other regions but many transfers are inferior to MGM's (this is the same thing with ARMY OF DARKNESS, which MGM controls in a few territories. Their Region 3 [Hong Kong] DVD has markedly better picture and sound than any of Anchor Bay's releases in the US).

You'd need a region free player (I believe it's Region 2 encoded), but the price has dropped since it's been marked down as a Limited Edition pressing. If you want it, this is the best price you'll find:

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/p ... on-videos/

Yesasia's customer service is excellent from my own experience. They take Paypal and also free s/h over $40 I believe. (Combine it with the ALEXANDER 3-disc Limited Edition, lol....okay so I did, I'm a sucker for flop movies!).

Carlson2005

Re: MANHUNTER Theatrical Cut DVD (Japan DTS) for $12.99

#2 Post by Carlson2005 »

Any idea if this is the cut that has the "I weep for the child but want to kill the man" dialogue scene between Petersen and Farina? Having already got three different cuts of the film, I'd hate to track this down only to find it's yet another version without it.

Neo Rasa

#3 Post by Neo Rasa »

Man I LOVE this movie. Might have to spring for this version eventually. So far I got one of the earlier VHS releases (blue cover), the special edition one from when Hannibal came out and everyone was cashing in, the limited edition two disk from Anchor Bay, and the Anchor Bay/Divimax one with the Mann commentary.

I really wish they restored the one released as director's cut on the limited edition. That version is probably the best available in the US officially except for the relatively awful picture quality.

Poor Manhunter, never even got a proper soundtrack release either beyond that one LP right?

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Any idea if this is the cut that has the "I weep for the child but want to kill the man" dialogue scene between Petersen and Farina? Having already got three different cuts of the film, I'd hate to track this down only to find it's yet another version without it.
Apparently it IS the theatrical cut, with the exception of the titling during the main credits...though don't hold me to it!

Yesasia is out of stock on it, by the way, but you can still get it from Amazon JP/CD Japan for a decent price.

Neo Rasa

#5 Post by Neo Rasa »

The first person view intro is so awesome.

There's so many versions of this movie you could practically make a Manhunter Quadrilogy.