STAR WARS: EPISODE III Official Review Thread

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

#16 Post by AndyDursin »

WOW! That was her?! Laughing
Indeed it was! (Yeah those WERE the days, eh?? ;)

You know what's funny, obviously JC is attractive, but I think she was even better looking when she was younger. She looks hardened (for lack of a better term) and is a bit too thin in some of her more recent parts...DARK WATER included. (BTW if the movie is as good as its Japanese original it'll be terrific!).

Harry Chen

Yeah, that was her!

#17 Post by Harry Chen »

The only watchable parts in "Career Opportuniites" are the ones with Jennifer Connelly in them! I only vaguely remember "Labyrinth", I mean, the whole deal was David Bowie make a new movie, but yep, Jennifer was there too!
Wanna go back, really way back?
Then watch Sergio Leone's "Once Upon a Time in America". In the scenes that take place when the main characters are still kids during the Depression era, you can see Jennifer Connelly practicing her dancing. The adult version of her character is played by Elizabeth McGovern, who doesn't look like Jennifer at all. I think Jennifer was 12 when she made that movie.
Without a doubt, Jennifer Connelly would make made a stronger Padme, but perhaps she would have been too tall for the part! Leia was short.
Wonder if "Dark Water" will be any good?

Harry Chen
Hong Kong

Eric W.

Re: Yeah, that was her!

#18 Post by Eric W. »

Harry Chen wrote:The only watchable parts in "Career Opportuniites" are the ones with Jennifer Connelly in them! I only vaguely remember "Labyrinth", I mean, the whole deal was David Bowie make a new movie, but yep, Jennifer was there too!
Then watch Sergio Leone's "Once Upon a Time in America". In the scenes that take place when the main characters are still kids during the Depression era, you can see Jennifer Connelly practicing her dancing. The adult version of her character is played by Elizabeth McGovern, who doesn't look like Jennifer at all. I think Jennifer was 12 when she made that movie.
Without a doubt, Jennifer Connelly would make made a stronger Padme, but perhaps she would have been too tall for the part! Leia was short.

Harry Chen
Hong Kong
Wow, that was Jennifer Connely in Once Upon a Time in America?! :shock: Holy smokes!

I agree with Andy: She's got that uber-thin, super tough look that seems, sadly, to be all too popular these days.

Dark Water looks terrible.

AndyDursin

#19 Post by AndyDursin »

The only watchable parts in "Career Opportuniites" are the ones with Jennifer Connelly in them! I only vaguely remember "Labyrinth", I mean, the whole deal was David Bowie make a new movie, but yep, Jennifer was there too!
Indeed Harry, CAREER OPPORTUNITIES remains a guilty pleasure -- not because it's particularly good, but because she looks so damn good in it! Jennifer was also good in THE ROCKETEER, which I enjoyed a great deal.

DARK WATER is based on a Japanese movie by the guy who directed "The Ring." It will probably get cruicified as being another Ring/Grudge knock-off (yep it has another disgruntled ghost with long dark hair), but the comparisons end there. The Japanese original is a lot more subtle, and a lot more haunting, than any of its predecessors. The sound design and direction are so creepy and memorable -- and in a very low-key manner -- that it could make for a decent remake if handled properly. It's my favorite of the current list of Japanese horrors. We'll see!

Harry Chen

Extra stuff in the digital version?

#20 Post by Harry Chen »

Anyone seen Episode III in BOTH digital AND celluloid versions? Three years ago, the digital version of Episode II had a slightly longer version of the ending where we get to see that Anakin had a new bionic (for lack of a better word...) arm.
Before release, there were rumours that Lucas was still working on the digital version till the very end. Did he insert an extra few seconds of anything in the digital version? After all, Rick McCallum did mention that Lucas cut out or shortened 5-6 scenes, scenes that will be available in the DVD.
I haven't seen the digital version. Planning to do that one of these days.

Harry Chen
Hong Kong

romanD

#21 Post by romanD »

I wouldnt go as far as saying I hated the movie, but for me it was absolutely boring, pretty unspectacular, silly dialogue, bad and ambitionless directing, bad acting from all of them, unintentionally funny (couldnt help but laugh out loud when Darth Vader hears of the death of Amidala... what a riot!).. ok, some nice visuals, but still some weak effects, too.

Amidala's dying of a broken heart was absolutely ridiculous. That may have been a romantic idea, but with a relationship this unromantic, this comes down as plain hilarious. Also this opens the question: What kind of Mother is she?!!!!! Bi***!

I truly think this is the weakest STAR WARS of all... and I hope Lucas doesn't continue with another trilogy...

major yawn...

this year is by far the worst movie year for a decade, at least!

Well.. look forward to FF.. Ive seen an almost finished cut when I was visiting the recording sessions and it was really great... very family orientated and sometimes a bit silly, but overall a fun x-men variation and Ottman has outdone himself with the score! really! great stuff!

Harry Chen

Easter eggs (the non-freezable king)

#22 Post by Harry Chen »

There are Easter eggs in Episode III, according to the SW official site. Unfortunately, you can't freeze-frame them just yet. For those ready to see it a second time or third or whatever, check out this:

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/bts ... index.html

Lucasfilm has made a list of things to look out for in the movie. I especially like the kitchen sink.

Harry Chen
Hong Kong

romanD

#23 Post by romanD »

I actually noticed the WILHELM... a scream used in countless movies.. there is actually a short clip which consists only of the scenes where this scream was used... trying to track that down...

this time it was used very obvious.. funny that a sound designer has such a trademark, too! :-)

AndyDursin

#24 Post by AndyDursin »

Great link Harry. Did anyone else notice the "Tarzan" yell that appeared when the Wookies were raiding the droid troops? I think most Americans old enough to remember would instantly recall that scream as the "TARZAN yell". I noticed it in the clips they sent out to TV stations before the movie was released -- pretty funny stuff. Certainly if you've seen any Tarzan film you'd know it in a second.

I'm happy Lucas and his team packed so much into EPISODE III. It certainly lends itself to repeat viewing. I've gone back twice and will probably take in one more viewing later on this summer when one of my friends comes in for a visit.

Sorry Roman I couldn't possibly disagree with you more. I've yet to see anyone other than you think that EPISODE II was a better movie -- even if you were cool on "Sith," it's at least far better than that. But it's all right, there will be no tar and feathers here :D

Monterey Jack

#25 Post by Monterey Jack »

romanD wrote:I actually noticed the WILHELM... a scream used in countless movies.. there is actually a short clip which consists only of the scenes where this scream was used... trying to track that down...

this time it was used very obvious.. funny that a sound designer has such a trademark, too! :-)
The "Wilhelm" (for the record, it sounds like "Ahh-AHHH-ahh!") is one of my favorite sound design "in-jokes". You can also hear it currently in Kingdom Of Heaven (when the first Muslim attack tower is hit by a boulder) and, from what I've gathered, Madagascar. I always chuckle whenever I hear it in a movie. :)