Terry Gilliam's BROTHERS GRIMM -- Another Bad Sign

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Terry Gilliam's BROTHERS GRIMM -- Another Bad Sign

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Don't know if anyone else has been following the bumpy history of Dimension/MGM's BROTHERS GRIMM, but Buena Vista has once again moved the release date of Terry Gilliam's latest -- to the dumping grounds of the end of the August, no less!

Once scheduled for early summer, then late July, Boxofficemojo now lists the movie has debuting on 8/26, which can't be a sign of confidence.

Even a Gilliam film starring a box-office draw like Matt Damon apparently can't inspire confidence from its studio -- NOT a good sign to say the least!

Harry Chen

It's 1984 all over again?

#2 Post by Harry Chen »

I remember that back in 1984 Terry Gilliam had to almost resort to begging to get "Brazil" released when his edit turned out a few minutes longer than demanded by Universal. I wonder if anyone has seen a test screening of Gilliam's new movie. Did it go down well? Is it too dark? Too difficult to understand? When you consider that the Exorcist prequel was completely reshot, it's not surprising that studio accountants are minding every penny of the profit, even before there's a chance for a movie to earn a penny of profit... morons!
I should note that I am a big fan of "Brazil". Definitely in my top ten list since December 1984, when it was required viewing to us UCLA design students.

Harry Chen
Hong Kong

Harry Chen

Yes, lick the toad!

#3 Post by Harry Chen »

Finally, a trailer for this delayed movie.
Check it out at:
http://movies.channel.aol.com/franchise ... rimm_movie

Can't say that it looks like a Gilliam movie, even the trailer is just another trailer, but there's some humour there.

Can't wait to see it.

Harry Chen
Hong Kong

MarkB

#4 Post by MarkB »

Poor Terry Gilliam. Does every film of his have to have trouble getting released?

In fairness to the studios, he doesn't seem to be easiest guy to work with. (Just watch "The Hamster Factor" documentary on the 12 MONKEYS DVD -- at times, he seems like a complete loon!) However, you'd think by now that they'd have learned to judge the final film and not the filmmaker himself.

On a related note: I just finished watching the 3 Disc Criterion edition of BRAZIL. Terrific set. I would, however, like to see them go back and remaster it in anamorphic wide screen. Otherwise, darn near perfect.

Mark

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

In fairness to the studios, he doesn't seem to be easiest guy to work with. (Just watch "The Hamster Factor" documentary on the 12 MONKEYS DVD -- at times, he seems like a complete loon!)
You guys should -- if you haven't already -- check out LOST IN LA MANCHA...one of the most entertaining documentaries I've seen, about Gilliam's abandoned La Mancha movie (with Johnny Depp). You feel bad for Gilliam while watching it but at the same time realize he's made his own bed and now has to lie in it. From that alone you can figure out why he's constantly run into the problems he has in the industry.

MarkB

#6 Post by MarkB »

AndyDursin wrote:
In fairness to the studios, he doesn't seem to be easiest guy to work with. (Just watch "The Hamster Factor" documentary on the 12 MONKEYS DVD -- at times, he seems like a complete loon!)
You guys should -- if you haven't already -- check out LOST IN LA MANCHA...one of the most entertaining documentaries I've seen, about Gilliam's abandoned La Mancha movie (with Johnny Depp). You feel bad for Gilliam while watching it but at the same time realize he's made his own bed and now has to lie in it. From that alone you can figure out why he's constantly run into the problems he has in the industry.
You're right Andy -- great movie, highly recommended. One of those "it would be unbelieveable if it wasn't true" stories. Bad luck seems to follow this guy everywhere, and it's not all of his own making.

ANDY, while on the subject of Gilliam -- do you know if Universal is planning to reissue it's movie-only DVD of BRAZIL? I went to order it online this weekend and it looks like it's now out-of-print. This usually indicates a new edition in the works (a trend Universal has been following lately -- witness 12 MONKEYS, APOLLO 13, JAWS, etc.). Any info would be appreciated.

Mark

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

ANDY, while on the subject of Gilliam -- do you know if Universal is planning to reissue it's movie-only DVD of BRAZIL? I went to order it online this weekend and it looks like it's now out-of-print. This usually indicates a new edition in the works (a trend Universal has been following lately -- witness 12 MONKEYS, APOLLO 13, JAWS, etc.). Any info would be appreciated.
I haven't heard anything Mark, but you're right -- Universal's "OOP" titles don't tend to stay that way for long (along those lines, the in-demand BLUES BROTHERS is resurfacing again in late August; we're trying to put a Landis interview together for the website to coincide with its release).

Add in that there's no 16:9 enhanced BRAZIL of any kind out there (not even in the Criterion box set, I believe) and I would guess we'd see it sooner than later.

MarkB

#8 Post by MarkB »

Thanks, Andy. No, the Criterion edition isn't 16x9 -- I rented it this past weekend and that's what sent me after the Universal version. Thanks for verifying that the old Universal disc wasn't 16x9, either. I guess I'll just have to be patient.

mkaroly

#9 Post by mkaroly »

LOST IN LA MANCHA was incredibly entertaining and I urged all my friends to watch it. Gilliam is a bit too full of himself. I saw the trailer for his new film today and I thought it looked like territory he'd be comfortable in, but it remains to be seen if it's good or not. I personally thought that FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS was junk- aside from Depp's performance, the rest of the movie was horrible and I had no idea what Gilliam was after in making that film. I thought that maybe he just wanted to film and "unfilmmable book" a la Cronenberg and NAKED LUNCH. My favorite of Gilliam's is probably TIME BANDITS and then BRAZIL; his renegade/martyr attitude is tiresome and he just comes across as a spoiled brat who doesn't get his way. In LA MANCHA I started to feel sorry for him, but towards the end of the film I thought, "Isn't he kinda bringing this on himself??" I'll still go see THE BROTEHRS GRIMM, though. It CAN'T be as bad as FALILV.... :)

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

I'm with you Michael. I just have the sinking feeling Dimension is dumping GRIMM -- it's been delayed forever and releasing it the last weekend of August...well, when WAS the last good movie that was ever released during the final days of August?? :shock:

I tell you what: THE CAVE looks like it might be fun, and I think it's coming out that weekend, so maybe we'll get a pair of genre movies worth checking out...fingers crossed.

Carlson2005

#11 Post by Carlson2005 »

Maybe I'm just being overoptimistic, but known Harvey's love of shelving, re-editing and dumping good movies, I'm actually taking this as a good sign. It's all part of his big farewell F.U. to Disney to dump as many films onto the marketplace without proper marketing at the same time to make sure Disney can't make any money off them. I'm sure most of the films (some on the shelf for nearly four years now!) are trash, but I still think they're just dumping this one for the Hell of it. I wouldn't even be surprised if they went the Below route and only showed it at midnight screenings out of spite! :twisted:

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

Maybe I'm just being overoptimistic, but known Harvey's love of shelving, re-editing and dumping good movies, I'm actually taking this as a good sign. It's all part of his big farewell F.U. to Disney to dump as many films onto the marketplace without proper marketing at the same time to make sure Disney can't make any money off them. I'm sure most of the films (some on the shelf for nearly four years now!) are trash, but I still think they're just dumping this one for the Hell of it. I wouldn't even be surprised if they went the Below route and only showed it at midnight screenings out of spite! Twisted Evil
lol. I could see that.

I notice Dimension is finally rolling out some shelf-dwellers: I just got a review copy of PROZAC NATION, which was shelved for a while, no?