The Getaway DVD

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
scorehead

The Getaway DVD

#1 Post by scorehead »

Anyone know if the newly released DVD of THE GETAWAY has the rejected Jerry Fielding score reinserted?

Thanks,

Scorehead

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Good question scorehead. Alas it's a Warner title not being handled by the PR agency who is kind to us, so I can't tell for certain.

scorehead

#3 Post by scorehead »

I looked it over yesterday and there was no mention of the score being reinserted, although I was certain that I heard that somewhere. I did pick up the new 2 disc DVD version of BULLET and have marveled that Warner Bros. did it right with this special edition. The films digital transfer is crisp and the sound mix and directors commentary are top notch. There's even the trailer and an archival documentary on the making of the film. The two "New" supplementary documentaries are from TNT produced shows, but round out this edition quite nicely making this package well worth the efforts for purchase.

Best,

Scorehead!

scorehead

#4 Post by scorehead »

As a follow up,

Here's what I found, from: http://on.starblvd.net/cgi-bin/bbsmsg?peckinpah&tr=379

"One of the highlights for film music fans will be the DVD of THE GETAWAY, which is expected to feature the film's rejected Jerry Fielding score isolated on a separate audio track, spotted exactly as Fielding intended. The supplementary material will include one sequence from the film with Fielding's music mixed back in, and a documentary on Fielding's collaboration with Peckinpah and the rejection of the Getaway score, featuring interviews with Fielding's wife and daughter. "

With all this said, non of these suppliments show up on the DVD release, even though they were mentioned to be included and that Nick Redman was responsible for putting this release together.

So sad. This would have been a great way to pay back to Fielding one of his great scores and make for a fun rerelease worth watching.

Any one have any info on why this concept was dumped?

Best,

Scorehead!

MikeJ

#5 Post by MikeJ »

I watched the DVD this weekend. The commentary track was great, as all the Peckinpah commentary tracks have been. But no mention of the Jerry Fielding score. There is a point in the track where it seems like Nick Redman is talking about having seen the film with the Fielding score put back in and then there is silence for a few minutes. And when the commentary picks up again, they are talking about the Quincy Jones score. I wasn't really expecting an isolated score track with the Fielding music but it would have been nice to have a seperate audio track of the Fielding music mixed with the film so we could choose.
Mike Joffe

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Since I started covering the laserdisc/DVD scene back in the early '90s, I wish I came up with a list of special feature supplements that were planned for "___" LD/DVD but didn't materialize.

Almost certainly from what you've said this was a legal obstacle that cropped up...one you might have thought they ironed out before the DVD was released, but let's face it: maybe Quincy Jones, at the last minute, came in and told them he didn't want Fielding's music on there. Who knows, it could be something as trivial as that, or something more like red tape.

MikeJ

#7 Post by MikeJ »

Or someone may have just gotten concerned about having an isolated score track. We haven't had very many of those from WB. Apart from that, the movie looks great and the commentary track is still enjoyable.
Mike Joffe

scorehead

#8 Post by scorehead »

This gets even stranger - as I've seen this SE DVD newly advertised elsewhere as having at least the documentry on Jerry Fielding. Still, it wasn't indictaed on the back of the DVD box as one of it's supliments.

This frick'n sucks!!!

- Scorehead!