x-3 will be directed by Rattner and scored by...

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
romanD

x-3 will be directed by Rattner and scored by...

#1 Post by romanD »

LALO SCHIFRIN!!!! well, I dont believe that until I hold the CD in my hand... I mean, cool choice, but hardly the right one for it and Im sure he will be replaced...

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Really?? That's....just.....bizarre! :shock:

I'm with you Roman. I actually think Brett Ratner is a pretty uninspired choice -- he's no visionary filmmaker, he's just a "known commodity." I've never really been a fan of his: the RUSH HOUR films don't interest me, and RED DRAGON was one of the most "tired" films I've ever seen with a major cast and budget.

Eric W.

#3 Post by Eric W. »

Wild.

I hope the movie is good. The music most certainly will be if this holds.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

I'm not as convinced as you are Eric. Schifrin is not exactly renowned for his work in this genre -- actually, has he EVER scored a movie like this?

I also have to say, since Roman posted this the other day, I'm REALLY down on this project. Just seems like the buzzards are circling overhead for X3. Multiple directors leaving and Ratner -- a really bad choice IMO -- taking over is anything but a good sign. I read on AICN that the script is awful, or what they've seen of it so far...seems like they're trying to placate the big actors still under contract and make it happen. (Just about the only thing I care about is seeing Anna Paquin in a cute costume; Halle Berry has done nothing for either film so she can walk as far as I'm concerned).

Musically this series has been an unmitigated disaster for Michael Kamen and John Ottman respectively. Two of the dullest, most unmemorable scores ever composed for the super-hero genre. Forgive me for having my doubts but I can't see how an aging composer like Schifrin, who's never even worked in this genre before, is going to work either.

Eric W.

#5 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:I'm not as convinced as you are Eric. Schifrin is not exactly renowned for his work in this genre -- actually, has he EVER scored a movie like this?
No, he has not. It's an odd choice to be sure. Clearly it's a loyalty gesture by Ratner.

Because of his pedigree and total career, that's why I'm keeping my fingers crossed very tightly here for Lalo to give us something good on X3.

I also have to say, since Roman posted this the other day, I'm REALLY down on this project. Just seems like the buzzards are circling overhead for X3. Multiple directors leaving and Ratner -- a really bad choice IMO -- taking over is anything but a good sign.
Agreed.
I read on AICN that the script is awful, or what they've seen of it so far...seems like they're trying to placate the big actors still under contract and make it happen. (Just about the only thing I care about is seeing Anna Paquin in a cute costume; Halle Berry has done nothing for either film so she can walk as far as I'm concerned).
Is this going to be X-men III: The Search for Jean Grey? :lol: It's obvious they went for that whole Wrath of Khan thing at the end of X2, even having Ottman blatantly rip off Horner's TWOK music for the Phoenix scene, so, why not rip off Search for Spock now and finish it? :roll:

Musically this series has been an unmitigated disaster for Michael Kamen and John Ottman respectively. Two of the dullest, most unmemorable scores ever composed for the super-hero genre.
I couldn't agree more! And what's amazing is: We all know BOTH composers have done MUCH better work, especially Kamen. I couldn't believe the turd he churned out for X1.
Forgive me for having my doubts but I can't see how an aging composer like Schifrin, who's never even worked in this genre before, is going to work either.
The only reason I throw one shred of hope is because of his pedigree. I certainly won't believe it, until I "hear it."

Carlson2005

I guess Joel Schumacher was busy...

#6 Post by Carlson2005 »

After the Superman debacle where Warners couldn't get rid of him fast enough, it's hard not to think Rattner's motive is to stick it to Bryan Singer, who replaced him. Aside from the unwelcome return of Hit'n'Run Halle (who changed her mind about returning pretty sharpish after Catwoman tanked - remember her interviews about how much better that was than the X-Men films?), Rattner has already promised more jokes, less action and less character. But no nipples on the Wolverine suit - yet.

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

After the Superman debacle where Warners couldn't get rid of him fast enough, it's hard not to think Rattner's motive is to stick it to Bryan Singer, who replaced him. Aside from the unwelcome return of Hit'n'Run Halle (who changed her mind about returning pretty sharpish after Catwoman tanked - remember her interviews about how much better that was than the X-Men films?), Rattner has already promised more jokes, less action and less character. But no nipples on the Wolverine suit - yet.
Good to see you're as high on him as I am! :)

So Halle is back on board, eh? Can't say I'm totally surprised -- and I suppose that's why Alan Cumming was so expendable?

Do you think the Schifrin hiring is legit? Quite frankly I don't see it happening, for a myraid of reasons.

Carlson2005

#8 Post by Carlson2005 »

AndyDursin wrote:Do you think the Schifrin hiring is legit? Quite frankly I don't see it happening, for a myraid of reasons.
I think his hiring is credible considering just how few good composers there are working today. While there's a vague chance he may do something good, my guess is we'll never hear the score and two weeks before it opens they'll hire whoever the John Debney du jour 2006 is to replace it. But the more I hear about this one, the more I keep thinking Superman III and Batman Forever - and that's only if we're really lucky. Rattner can made a pig's ear out of a silk purse. Hell, Rattner can make Michael Winner look good! If only Matthew Vaughn had waited a year to start a family...

Paul MacLean

#9 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:I'm not as convinced as you are Eric. Schifrin is not exactly renowned for his work in this genre -- actually, has he EVER scored a movie like this?
Well, Andy, I'm sure (as are others here) that whatever Schifrin comes-up with, it HAS to be better than the scores for the first two films!

And Schifrin has proven himself an enormously eclectic composer. Compare the gritty, jazz-styled scores for the Dirty Harry films to the brassy, herioc and mannered score for The 4 Musketeers. He's also written choral works for the concert hall and other classical commissions.

I'm really excited to hear what he comes up with. At least it will probably be interesting -- which is something we could use in this, the unquestionably WORST decade in movie score history.

Paul

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

Well, Andy, I'm sure (as are others here) that whatever Schifrin comes-up with, it HAS to be better than the scores for the first two films!

And Schifrin has proven himself an enormously eclectic composer. Compare the gritty, jazz-styled scores for the Dirty Harry films to the brassy, herioc and mannered score for The 4 Musketeers. He's also written choral works for the concert hall and other classical commissions.

I'm really excited to hear what he comes up with. At least it will probably be interesting -- which is something we could use in this, the unquestionably WORST decade in movie score history.
Yet all of his best scores were, what, 30 years ago or older?

I do agree with you Paul at least he deserves a chance....and it IS the worst decade in movie score history. :shock: :( But on the other hand, the only movies Schifrin scores these days are light comedy films. Ratner had Danny Elfman score RED DRAGON, even though Schifrin had an on-screen cameo, so I'm guessing they passed Schifrin over there...given the subject matter of this film, why would that not happen again here?

I still don't think, once the movie comes out, he'll be attached, for whatever reason...