rate the last movie you saw

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Eric Paddon

Re: rate the last movie you saw

#1171 Post by Eric Paddon »

Passion Of The Christ (2004) 10 of 10

A Good Friday evening tradition continues for me by watching this film after services. First time on Blu-Ray where the transfer is fine and the navigation is easier for me to figure out where the re-edited cut is which I will watch at another time.

AndyDursin

#1172 Post by AndyDursin »

I watched Passion this afternoon. An incredible film...the BD transfer is spectacular as well.

AndyDursin

#1173 Post by AndyDursin »

Few quick takes:

THE HUNGER GAMES 8/10
I haven't read the books -- and felt the film needed to impart a lot more information about the society in which the story was taking place -- but this is still an accessible (for newcomers) and compelling film, well made by Gary Ross and really put over the top by Jennifer Lawrence. Sort of like The Running Man, Lord of the Flies, Survivor, American Idol, The Truman Show, and Logan's Run thrown into a blender...which isn't bad if you're up for it. Good score by James Newton Howard.

CONTRABAND 7.5/10
Surprisingly good Mark Wahlberg thriller, a remake of an Icelandic film (directed by the star of that version), is compelling from start to end. Good character performances from Wahlberg, Gionvanni Ribisi (in the same heavy role he's been playing now for years), Ben Foster, Lukas Haas and JK Simmons; a compelling script, interesting locales (Panama and New Orleans) and surprisingly low body count (given the material) make for a very solid rental, despite the familiar material at hand.

WE BOUGHT A ZOO 6/10
Syrupy Cameron Crowe film is earnestly acted by Matt Damon and a capable cast, but what was sold as a Christmas family film is a mostly downbeat -- and terribly overlong -- cliche fest about a dad trying to bond with his kids after the death of his young wife. Every aspect of this supposedly true story is predictable and the film an overall disappointment, though there are a couple of very poignant moments along the way.

Monterey Jack

#1174 Post by Monterey Jack »

Mary & Max (2009): 10/10

Beautiful claymation feature from Australia is wryly funny, stylishly designed, and ultimately deeply moving (especially if, like one of the title characters, you suffer from Asperger's Syndrome), with a wonderfully eclectic soundtrack...you may never listen to "Que Sera Sera" the same way again. :shock:

Mike Skerritt

#1175 Post by Mike Skerritt »

AndyDursin wrote:Few quick takes:

THE HUNGER GAMES 8/10
I haven't read the books -- and felt the film needed to impart a lot more information about the society in which the story was taking place -- but this is still an accessible (for newcomers) and compelling film, well made by Gary Ross and really put over the top by Jennifer Lawrence. Sort of like The Running Man, Lord of the Flies, Survivor, American Idol, The Truman Show, and Logan's Run thrown into a blender...which isn't bad if you're up for it. Good score by James Newton Howard.
Just saw this last weekend too. I've read the first two books, and it's a very faithful adaptation. The thing to note about the books is that they're all told from Katniss' perspective, so what I think the movie did particularly well is expand the story beyond her periphery. The scenes between President Snow and Seneca Crane (Wes Bentley), for example, weren't in the book. Nor were any of those TRUMAN SHOW-type scenes where the gamemakers were manipulating the arena.

Lawrence's performance is especially remarkable because Ross wisely avoids the crutch of narration, so she has the more difficult job of suggesting Katniss' inner life without ever once verbalizing it. She never steps wrong in that regard, though I could see how someone who's never read the book might just read her performance as inscrutable. Harrelson and Tucci are both unorthodox but ultimately inspired choices for their characters. Hutcherson is fine, but my wife and I both thought the film might have benefitted if Hutcherson and Hemsworth switched roles.

While Ross nails the character moments in a way even the book never did (the first act in particular is brilliant), I thought the movie really lagged once the games began. The pacing is off, and it sort of limps to the finish line just when it should be cresting.

I'd like to see Ross get a shot at CATCHING FIRE, but IMHO a much better movie could've been made from the book.

AndyDursin

#1176 Post by AndyDursin »

So is there no more background on the society and such in the book then? Interesting. I was hoping for more background on the different districts, the people populating them, etc. -- seemed to be a missing component to the story as far as the film went.

Ross' direction was better suited to the first half than the second, I agree there also Mike. Once the action took center stage, his penchant for making...well...leisurely movies...seemed evident and he came off as being out of his league in the action sequences. That final fight between the two young guys was almost incomprehensibly edited and choreographed.

Will be interesting to see what they do for the sequel. Ross wants to direct, but apparently doesn't want to "rush" the film for an August start. Lionsgate wants to shoot the movie then before Lawrence's commitment to the X-Men sequel, which Fox has agreed to film in January. It'll be interesting to see what they do there.

AndyDursin

#1177 Post by AndyDursin »

LOGAN'S RUN
7/10

I've always been a bit unsure as to how to approach Logan's Run, because it's dated, creaky, and poorly directed in many respects -- yet it's also undeniably entertaining in others, for its '70s fashions and occasionally effective passage. Basically for me the film comes down to this: Jenny Agutter, Jerry Goldsmith, Jenny Agutter and Jerry Goldsmith. In that order, roughly ;) Had the film not ended the way it did -- with that gorgeous, sweeping final Jerry cue that puts it over the top -- I'd probably knock it down to a 5.

Warner's Blu-Ray sounds fabulous -- the different synth effects seem to flow into every speaker, the music is robustly mixed as well in this first Dolby Stereo film (least I believe it is) -- and the transfer is good, with the print showing some age (at least it wasn't affected by the DNR squad). The trailer, the fun 8-minute promo featurette, and an older group commentary are also on tap. Well worth it under $10.

Eric Paddon

#1178 Post by Eric Paddon »

I get nostalgic just from seeing how a 70s shopping mall interior looked! :)

The ruins of Washington, D.C. seen in the film were actually the ruins of the soon to be demolished MGM backlot. As a result, the film has a place in the history of the studio in giving us one of the final looks of what had once been an iconic place in film making history.

Mike Skerritt

#1179 Post by Mike Skerritt »

AndyDursin wrote:So is there no more background on the society and such in the book then? Interesting. I was hoping for more background on the different districts, the people populating them, etc. -- seemed to be a missing component to the story as far as the film went.
Well, yes and no. You definitely get more information on the other districts--each one, for example, focuses on a different industry, an important facet of the story which is only glazed over in the movie--but since it's all from Katniss' POV, and she's a young girl, the perspective is limited. She supplies whatever details are required by the story.

sprocket

#1180 Post by sprocket »

Sherlock (BBC TV) 7/10

A disappointment. Especially the second episode, which came across as being plotted out then written to fit the plot points. The acting and production values are first rate. Martin Freeman as Watson was great from the get-go while I think Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock had to struggle to get a consistent tone. Part of the problem is that the season is so short: only 4 1/2 hours long. They were just getting going and then it ended.

Still, a bit over hyped.

Fringe Season 2 7/10

I finished the second season and it is getting better. Still too much emphasis on gory deaths, but what do I know? Some things plotwise don't seem to work, with the characters being put in conflict situations for no reason. The acting is especially strong. Good enough to keep watching for the things that go right, but there is a lot of stuf that, for me, grates. Disappointing considering wonderkind J.J. Abrams is in charge of it all, but I didn't get through Lost, so ...

John Johnson

#1181 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:LOGAN'S RUN
7/10

I've always been a bit unsure as to how to approach Logan's Run, because it's dated, creaky, and poorly directed in many respects -- yet it's also undeniably entertaining in others, for its '70s fashions and occasionally effective passage. Basically for me the film comes down to this: Jenny Agutter, Jerry Goldsmith, Jenny Agutter and Jerry Goldsmith. In that order, roughly ;) Had the film not ended the way it did -- with that gorgeous, sweeping final Jerry cue that puts it over the top -- I'd probably knock it down to a 5.

Warner's Blu-Ray sounds fabulous -- the different synth effects seem to flow into every speaker, the music is robustly mixed as well in this first Dolby Stereo film (least I believe it is) -- and the transfer is good, with the print showing some age (at least it wasn't affected by the DNR squad). The trailer, the fun 8-minute promo featurette, and an older group commentary are also on tap. Well worth it under $10.

Would be even better if the original beginning had been included on the Blu Ray. Oh well, one day, perhaps.
London. Greatest City in the world.

John Johnson

#1182 Post by John Johnson »

sprocket wrote:Sherlock (BBC TV) 7/10

A disappointment. Especially the second episode, which came across as being plotted out then written to fit the plot points. The acting and production values are first rate. Martin Freeman as Watson was great from the get-go while I think Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock had to struggle to get a consistent tone. Part of the problem is that the season is so short: only 4 1/2 hours long. They were just getting going and then it ended.

Still, a bit over hyped.
Enjoying Sherlock very much. Series 2 is due to be screened May (I think) on PBS. Three feature length episodes is pretty much the standard with some UK shows. Wallander is another BBC series that you only get three of. I dread to think what the proposed CBS version will turn out like. The BBC have comissioned a third.

AndyDursin

#1183 Post by AndyDursin »

John Johnson wrote:Would be even better if the original beginning had been included on the Blu Ray. Oh well, one day, perhaps.
I'm pretty sure that stuff is gone forever. They looked for it for the laserdisc back in the '90s and couldn't find it then.

This page has some reconstructions and such --
http://nemsworld.com/logan/video/video.htm

John Johnson

#1184 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:
John Johnson wrote:Would be even better if the original beginning had been included on the Blu Ray. Oh well, one day, perhaps.
I'm pretty sure that stuff is gone forever. They looked for it for the laserdisc back in the '90s and couldn't find it then.

This page has some reconstructions and such --
http://nemsworld.com/logan/video/video.htm
Andy,
Thanks for that. I'll look at it later. Work computer won't open the pages. There's also this link, which details some of the cut scenes.

http://stellar-database.com/non-ISDB/Lo ... cut_scenes

AndyDursin

#1185 Post by AndyDursin »

CABIN IN THE WOODS

6.5/10 (detract a whole point if not seeing the film with an audience)

Joss Whedon tries to send up the horror genre with this film much in the same regard that Kevin Williamson with "Scream," though "Cabin in the Woods" veers more towards outright comedy and geek in-jokes as opposed to genuine terror. At times, that's not a bad thing (Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford play off each other extremely well), and I think if you see the film with a receptive audience, genre fans are going to be amused (that said, I can't imagine the picture working as well without that element).

On the other hand, the end result feels like a lark Whedon and his director/co-writer Drew Goddard threw together over a weekend and managed to get produced through the insanity of MGM -- who as it turns out, ran out of money and had to sell the film to the schlockmeisters at Lionsgate. The last 20 minutes are crazy alright, but ultimately, the film doesn't amount to very much -- kind of a one-joke premise taken to an extreme, marginally directed (visually the film is dark and unimpressive), and with an ending that sadly recalls the "we've got no other way to end it" conclusion of "Drag Me to Hell." It's also never scary, for reasons that relate to its "don't tell anyone" premise, creating this sort of weird tonal netherworld between a total joke and a story you're supposed to take seriously enough to care about what happens. In the end, I almost wished Whedon pushed it further than he did, because there's really no dramatic investment in the characters anyway -- why not just trash the genre altogether instead of playing some of it straight?

Ultimately, Whedon is clearly capable of better than this film, which while throwing in some clever lines and amusing moments, wants to have it both ways: poking fun at obvious horror cliches while still wallowing in the excess blood and violence that's become the norm. Even with this type of film you get the feeling an opportunity was missed here to make something truly special, instead of the minor cult film it's likely to become among devotees who will find it "cool" and hysterical that they're "in on" the joke. Trouble is -- the film on balance isn't nearly as funny or biting as it thinks it is, though I did laugh a great deal at Whitford's "fate."