rate the last movie you saw

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: rate the last movie you saw

#1096 Post by AndyDursin »

Great film MJ...love the sequel too, though it's quite different. :)

Paul MacLean

#1097 Post by Paul MacLean »

I still have never seen Babe.

Maybe I'm reticent because a film full of Australian actors dubbed with American accents brings back bad memories of the original release of Mad Max.

Or maybe I'm still annoyed George Miller rejected Goldsmith's demos for the score.

Though most likely I just haven't gotten 'round to it.

Monterey Jack

#1098 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:Great film MJ...love the sequel too, though it's quite different. :)
I agree. I totally understand why it bombed hard back in 1998 (it might be the most disturbing G-rated movie of all time), but it was a rare sequel that dared to try something totally different from the original, and the visual design of the film is spectacular. Too bad there's no U.S. release on Blu-Ray.
Paul MacLean wrote:I still have never seen Babe.

Maybe I'm reticent because a film full of Australian actors dubbed with American accents brings back bad memories of the original release of Mad Max.
Huh? No one in the movie has a dubbed American accent.
Or maybe I'm still annoyed George Miller rejected Goldsmith's demos for the score.
As much as I love Goldsmith, Nigel Westlake's score is wonderful, the heavy use of classical pieces giving the movie a "timeless" feel. Considering Goldsmith's output in the mid-90s, I imagine his score probably would have sounded akin to his Joe Dante scores of the period, probably overselling the "wacky" talking-animal aspects that the film itself wisely eschews.

As for the film itself, you really should check it out, Paul...it's one of the most enchantingly literate family movies of the last 20 years (even earning a Best Picture nomination). The then-miraculous visual effects look a wee bit dated nowadays (when CGI lip-synch for animals in now commonplace, even in TV commercials), but the film's charm remains unchanged. James Cromwell's wonderful performance is a huge reason why it all works...with as little dialogue as possible, he totally sells the movie's premise as much as Bob Hoskins did in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, by playing everything as straight as possible and with an ecomomy of dialogue and movement that allows the film's cast of animals free reign to be the center of attention.

sprocket

#1099 Post by sprocket »

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 6/10

I wouldn't call this a bad film but I just found the action sequences dumb. It's obvious some imagination was used in the design of the film, but as it goes on, things get more and more formulaic and less and less interesting. The overuse of CGI didn't help to sell the film, either.

Sean Connery was very likeable in this film, as was the rest of the cast. In all somewhat entertaining but very forgettable.

sprocket

#1100 Post by sprocket »

Leon - The Professional 8/10

I saw the extended version and I was surprised to be so involved in the characters. I was expecting an 'action flick'. Even the bad guy was an interesting character.

The dynamics between the Leon (the man child) and the little girl (the child woman) would be very unusual in any film, never mind an action flick. I can see why many of the scenes dealing with the rather odd sexual dynamics between the two were trimmed out. That said, I thought they were handled realistically and with sensitivity. For the most part, they worked.

Nathalie Portman was fascinating to watch.

One thing that did bother me was that the film didn't seem to have a strong New York flavour, although it is set there.

AndyDursin

#1101 Post by AndyDursin »

I agree with both of your reviews Sprocket. LEON, obviously being a Luc Besson film, has a French international flavor as opposed to a gritty NY feel. And I like LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARILY GENTLEMEN visually -- and for Connery. Shame it's going to be his final film it looks like...not a bad film, but could've been better.

Paul MacLean

#1102 Post by Paul MacLean »

I missed The Professional (as it was titled when first released in America) in theatres, but finally saw it on TV when I was in England a few years later.

However I had no idea it was the same film, since in the UK it was simply titled "Leon". I kept thinking "This movie is terrific! Why haven't I ever heard of it?" :?

sprocket

#1103 Post by sprocket »

It was interesting to see the 10 year retrospective extra in the special features on The Professional. I usually don't bother with extras (I don't like to 'look behind the curtain), but this short look back on the making of the film put the relationship between the little girl and Leon into some perspective and is worth a look.

Funnily, I was watching the crowd-pleasing Robocop (7/10) last night with a friend of mine. He was mentioning how when he saw it in the theatre, everyone in the audience was cheering when the bad guys got their 'just' desserts. It's a real boo-hiss villain piece with the bad guys being badder than bad and the good guys being, well, good about it all.

It's amazing how pointed the commentary was on American society.

I mention it because I had to laugh when Clarence (the evilest bad guy), played by Kurtwood Smith, taps on a table like Gary Oldman taps on a fireplace mantle in The Professional. Both characters are odd (and oddly likeable) and it was funny to see that connection.

Eric W.

#1104 Post by Eric W. »

sprocket wrote:It was interesting to see the 10 year retrospective extra in the special features on The Professional. I usually don't bother with extras (I don't like to 'look behind the curtain), but this short look back on the making of the film put the relationship between the little girl and Leon into some perspective and is worth a look.

Funnily, I was watching the crowd-pleasing Robocop (7/10) last night with a friend of mine. He was mentioning how when he saw it in the theatre, everyone in the audience was cheering when the bad guys got their 'just' desserts. It's a real boo-hiss villain piece with the bad guys being badder than bad and the good guys being, well, good about it all.

It's amazing how pointed the commentary was on American society.

I mention it because I had to laugh when Clarence (the evilest bad guy), played by Kurtwood Smith, taps on a table like Gary Oldman taps on a fireplace mantle in The Professional. Both characters are odd (and oddly likeable) and it was funny to see that connection.
Two of the all time best screen villains at least in the modern era IMO. Good points about both movies. Both are excellent in completely different ways.

AndyDursin

#1105 Post by AndyDursin »

BLADES OF GLORY 8.5

One of my favorite comedies of the last 10 years -- inspired lunacy, big laughs, Ferrell is legitimately funny, his chemistry with Jon Heder is terrific...and Jenna Fischer from The Office too.

AndyDursin

#1106 Post by AndyDursin »

BABE is a magical, truly wonderful film. And Paul, there are no dubbed American accents! Roscoe Lee Browne narrates both that film and the sequel...James Cromwell is in both of them (less so the sequel). There's only one soundtrack and the "cast" of voices is mostly American no matter where in the world you see it.
As much as I love Goldsmith, Nigel Westlake's score is wonderful, the heavy use of classical pieces giving the movie a "timeless" feel. Considering Goldsmith's output in the mid-90s, I imagine his score probably would have sounded akin to his Joe Dante scores of the period, probably overselling the "wacky" talking-animal aspects that the film itself wisely eschews.
Completely agree. Goldsmith likely would've written a soapy, saccharine score like ANGIE or BAD GIRLS for it, and Nigel Westlake's classically-derived score is subtle and sublime. It's one of those rare times I'm happy they didn't go with Jerry, because at that stage of the game back in the mid '90s, he -- generally -- wasn't at his best.
I agree. I totally understand why it bombed hard back in 1998 (it might be the most disturbing G-rated movie of all time), but it was a rare sequel that dared to try something totally different from the original, and the visual design of the film is spectacular. Too bad there's no U.S. release on Blu-Ray.
I understand it too, but it's a brilliant movie on its own terms. Miller probably just pushed it a little too far for its own good (and he directed the sequel as opposed to only producing it), but it's a wonderful film.

BTW, though the transfer isn't great, the overseas Blu-Ray is region free -- you can order it for only $15 shipped from grooves-inc (good vendor, I've used them many times before :) Shipping from Germany takes a couple of weeks but they're reliable and you can't beat the price either.

http://www.grooves-inc.com/magda-szuban ... f184017413

Monterey Jack

#1107 Post by Monterey Jack »

I have never found Will Ferrell funny. The incessant shrieking, the running-around-in-his-underwear-with-a-jiggly-pot-belly, the beady eyes and simian forehead, the Beefaroni hair...ugh. :? I will never understand why Ferrell and Adam Sandler were crowned the comedy royalty of the 00's.

AndyDursin

#1108 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:I have never found Will Ferrell funny. The incessant shrieking, the running-around-in-his-underwear-with-a-jiggly-pot-belly, the beady eyes and simian forehead, the Beefaroni hair...ugh. :? I will never understand why Ferrell and Adam Sandler were crowned the comedy royalty of the 00's.
I think your sense of humor is different than mine and others....can't really argue it one way or the other. If people find it funny then there you go, though there is a World of difference between something Ike Anchorman and most of Sandler's fare IMO.

AndyDursin

#1109 Post by AndyDursin »

FOOTLOOSE (2011) 8/10

Wow, surprisingly good on all levels -- easily the best of any of these belated sequels/remakes of late, with likeable characters and a sense of time and place established firmly by Craig Brewer (Black Snake Moan). I'll also take Julianna Hough over Lori Singer too. A real nice surprise.

AndyDursin

#1110 Post by AndyDursin »

J. EDGAR 4/10

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz