The Other War of the Worlds.

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

The Other War of the Worlds.

#1 Post by John Johnson »

I was in my local Walmart yesterday, thumbing throuhg the DVDs, and I noticed the other War of the Worlds movie, you know, the one made by Pendragon Pictures. When did this come out? I was wondering what happen to this version. They had it for about $8.00.

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Interesting John. I'll have to pick it up (though I always feel slightly skittish about going into the closest Walmart, which we affectionately call Ghetto-Mart here!).

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

The Pendragon version is AWFUL. Like, really hideous. Acting as bad as anything you'll see, special effects that look like a 1995 PC video game...in short it's hysterically bad.

And possibly worth your $8 just to see it...and heck it's 180 minutes long too!

mkaroly

#4 Post by mkaroly »

AndyDursin wrote:The Pendragon version is AWFUL. Like, really hideous. Acting as bad as anything you'll see, special effects that look like a 1995 PC video game...in short it's hysterically bad.

Thanks for the info- I'll skip that one.

Carlson2005

#5 Post by Carlson2005 »

[quote="AndyDursin"]The Pendragon version is AWFUL. Like, really hideous. Acting as bad as anything you'll see, special effects that look like a 1995 PC video game...in short it's hysterically bad.

And possibly worth your $8 just to see it...and heck it's 180 minutes long too![/quote]

Ah, but when are we going to see your review? With auteur Timothy Hines' behaviour going off the Richter Scale of weirdness, I think a full review is called for. Just check out the fake reviews on Amazon.com from first time reviewers giving it five stars and all saying the same thing (it's an art film, superb script, great characterization, worth of comparison to David Lynch or David Lean, etc) and you'll see how much the world needs to be warned!

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Ah, but when are we going to see your review? With auteur Timothy Hines' behaviour going off the Richter Scale of weirdness, I think a full review is called for. Just check out the fake reviews on Amazon.com from first time reviewers giving it five stars and all saying the same thing (it's an art film, superb script, great characterization, worth of comparison to David Lynch or David Lean, etc) and you'll see how much the world needs to be warned!
Isn't it amazing how they tried to drum up an "internet publicity campaign" a la Blair Witch with this piece of crap? Will make some people second guess when an indie film starts getting all this buzz simply because it's attracting attention in message boards (like this one! lol).

MarkB

#7 Post by MarkB »

Carlson2005 wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:The Pendragon version is AWFUL. Like, really hideous. Acting as bad as anything you'll see, special effects that look like a 1995 PC video game...in short it's hysterically bad.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the Amazon.com reviews. Those 5-star reviews are too damn funny! Who do they think they're fooling:

"Carefully placing every element to fit the period and original story of the novel Timothy Hines and Pendragon Pictures created an epic sweeping film that will be remembered and watched for years to come."

"This movie is like a painting hanging in a museum, only it ignites with action and drama. It is deserved of admiration and sufficiently will fill the appetite of all movie goers."

That's just the tip of the iceberg. I mean, if you're going to try to skew the ratings, at least try to be believeable about it. To have every positive review read like a press release, practically calling it the greatest movie ever made, strains credibility. But it does make for some entertaining reading!

By all means, Andy, review this turkey. Someone has to protect the masses!

Mark

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

By all means, Andy, review this turkey. Someone has to protect the masses!
lol. Mark, I would, but I have a run of titles I actually HAVE to look at first...but trust me, sooner or later it will happen. (Actually, come to think of it, I'll try and put something together to coincide with the Spielberg film opening this week...maybe).

Gotta love the Amazon reviews. If you have time, check out the user comments on this made-for-video garbage horror flick ZOMBIEZ...I'd post them here but they're too racist for comfort!

Carlson2005

#9 Post by Carlson2005 »

Dear Lord in heaven, somebody sent me a copy for my birthday (as Andy knows, Lifeforce and Dreamcatcher are my two favourite comedies) and, believe it or not, it seems to have broken my DVD player (not a compatibility problem: the machine literally conked out - is Hines including a virus in all copies?). Either that, or the things is showing better taste than I am.

Unluckily, I have a backup machine and it'll play in that. I've not got far because I keep on having to rewind because I simply cannot believe what I'm seeing or, more often, wort oi'm herring. Sorry, lapsed into Anthony Piana speak for a moment. His 'Engolish' accent is one of the most bizarre things I've ever heard... "wor-tar," "clow-slee," "Ohgglevee," "Ma's has a wrudddi ohrrnge carst," "the blackenn silenn observatwee"... And if the accent wasn't bad enough, his curious lullaby delivery and constant gurning is... is... no, I can't find the words. Aside from mistaking English for gay and modelling his performance and look on a Freddie Mercury video, the man just cannot act. Whereas "Ohgglevee" never stops acting. And do we have to cut to a close-up of an item every time the redundant narration mentions it? Talk about over-literal.

Hell, Hines even gets the date that Wells wrote it wrong - it was first published in 1897 as a serial and yet he credits it as 'Wells' 1898 novel.' This thing is actually much, much, much worse than any of the terrible reviews on the IMDB or Amazon said: seriously. I was expecting some exaggeration, some short-selling or grudge-taking, but oh sweet Lord, this... this... sorry, there are no words in the English language. It doesn't even rise to the level of being inept. Hines would have to die and be born again to raise himself to the level of incompetent. :shock:

You know, I seriously wonder if these people have the combined brain power to go to the toilet unassisted...

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

You know, I seriously wonder if these people have the combined brain power to go to the toilet unassisted...
I would second that one.

I think we knew it was in trouble when Sterling Home Video -- basically a public domain label (!) -- picked up the rights.

But hey, I'd LOVE to read Edward Gross' "The Making of WAR OF THE WORLDS" book! (the guy owes me money, but that's another story...)

Carlson2005

#11 Post by Carlson2005 »

Ye gods... I finally finished it. It took me two days, but I finally finished it. It's absolutely uncredible...

In a film filled with bad effects (Voodoo doll Barbie, the fabulous space cow, a flying machine that's a dead ringer for Mothra, the incredible floating Big Ben), the 'Thunderchild' scene scene stands out. Couldnt they get a toy battleship? Didn't anyone tell Timbo that when things move in the water it gets displaced and water splashes around? Or that there are no Mississippi paddle steamers on the Essex coast? And boy, I haven't seen color separation overlay of that quality since Doctor Who and the Green Death - and they did it much better than Timbo! And what's with Paul Revere riding by shouting "The Martians are coming! The Martians are coming!"? :roll:

And as for the emotional ending - between the Kindly Woman telling him he needs to get his 'elf' back and his gurning in his reunion with Mrs Narrator, you'd need a heart of stone not to laugh. And the credits are almost as long as the film. The crew members are billed separately for each different part they played (and they played a lot!); then every extra is individually credited; and then - dear God, now I've seen everything - they even credit the horses by name!

I think I need that lie down now...

Eric W.

#12 Post by Eric W. »

Wow.

Can Spielberg make a good, FUN movie anymore?

AndyDursin

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

And as for the emotional ending - between the Kindly Woman telling him he needs to get his 'elf' back and his gurning in his reunion with Mrs Narrator, you'd need a heart of stone not to laugh. And the credits are almost as long as the film. The crew members are billed separately for each different part they played (and they played a lot!); then every extra is individually credited; and then - dear God, now I've seen everything - they even credit the horses by name!
Amazing isn't it? :) I still say it was worth my $8, but it's entertainment of a different kind -- not on the LIFEFORCE/DREAMCATCHER level sadly.

(Eric, I apologize but we're talking about the Pendragon version, not Spielberg's :)

Carlson2005

#14 Post by Carlson2005 »

And the really crazy thing is that a copy sold on e-bay for £100! (That's $181.62 at today's exchange rate!)

AndyDursin

#15 Post by AndyDursin »

And the really crazy thing is that a copy sold on e-bay for £100! (That's $181.62 at today's exchange rate!)
Why? You can pick it up dirt cheap here...is it rare over that way?