The Other War of the Worlds.

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Carlson2005

#16 Post by Carlson2005 »

AndyDursin wrote:Why? You can pick it up dirt cheap here...is it rare over that way?
Stupidity. Legally the film can only be released in the USA, Asia and a few other territories where the copyright has expired - everywhere in Europe and the British Commonwealth it is still in copyright until 2016, with Paramount holding the screen rights, so no legal European release for any of the rival versions (with the exception of Jeff Wayne's still-quite-a-way-off-on-the-horizon animated version due to an old licensng deal). Of course, you'd think someone who was going to buy something by credit card at ebay might just have enough common sense to check out Amazon.com ($10.49 plus $3 shipping to Europe) before bidding $181!

Hmm, that gives me an idea...

AndyDursin

#17 Post by AndyDursin »

Hmm, that gives me an idea...
Not like I've done anything like that before myself..... :wink:

AndyDursin

#18 Post by AndyDursin »

Carlson2005

#19 Post by Carlson2005 »

Yet, like the Pendragon film, the books seem to have missed their deadline. Of course, an honest account of the maing of this one and Timbo's very public, ahem, unorthodox behaviour would be a helluva read. In his Q&As (presubmitted questions with name, street adress and telephone numbers provided only) spread across various fan sites he has accused Paramount of putting pressure on theatres not to show his film, of funding the other $1m Asylum modern-day WOTW with C. Thomas Howell and that various unnamed individuals are either in the pay of the Scientologists, Paramount, Dreamworks (I think he means me on that one!) or are lawyers for Jeff Wayne!

I loved this bit in the blurb for the second book:

'Tracked is the hit the film took in terms of budget, dropping from $42 million to $8 million and eventually up again to $20+ million. '
Last week in the NY Times Hines - who had previously insisted his budget was 'comfortably eight figures' - admitted the budget was 'less than $10m.' My estimate is probably $650,000 tops - which, of course, is less than $10m...

Carlson2005

#20 Post by Carlson2005 »

Joe Leydon reviewed both the Asylum version - which he found a tedious, unimpressive sci-fi channel timewaster - and Timbo's magnus opum in Variety. For some reason, he was not terribly impressed wit Timbo's efforts:

'Imagine a penny-pinched production of "Masterpiece Theater" directed by Ed Wood, with special effects created on a secondhand laptop. Now you're ready for "H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds," a direct-to-video travesty newly released to Wal-Mart, Amazon.com and other outlets to piggyback on publicity for Steven SpielbergSteven Spielberg's much pricier and higher-profile sci-fi melodrama. Bottom line: great timing, lousy movie.

Multihyphenate Timothy Hines clumsily employs stock footage, obvious greenscreening and bargain-basement CGI in a vain attempt to create a faux epic on a frayed-shoestring budget, with a bare minimum of extras and bit players. Overall ineptitude could work to pic's benefit, however: Curiosity seekers and camp devotees might want to savor straight-faced folly as accidental comedy.

Performances by cast of unknowns wouldn't pass muster at most small-town community theaters. And the f/xf/x spectacle -- including Wellsian scenes of marauding Martians scuttling about in gigantic tripodlike contraptions -- is far short of spectacular. Indeed, some Martians-vs.-mankind clashes appear to be recycled from early-'80s arcade videogames.

Other scenes have actors stiffly interacting with computer-generated backgrounds, foregrounds and/or panicky crowds. The mix is rarely seamless and never persuasive.

Indie cheapie has been hyped as the first "true adaptation" of Wells' 1898 novel, meaning it's actually set in Victorian-era England -- though most of pic was shot in and around Seattle -- and strains to contain as much of the original novel as possible.

Unfortunately, this makes for a long, ploddingly paced dozer in which entire swaths of Wells' prose are transformed into painfully stilted dialogue. (At 179 minutes, Hines' version is literally twice as long as producer George Pal's less faithful but more exciting 1953 adaptation.)

Occasionally, actors filmed in black-and-white are inexplicably superimposed over garishly tinted landscapes and cityscapes, with truly bizarre, almost psychedelic results.

Wearing the phoniest-looking mustache to appear onscreen since Groucho Marx, Anthony Piana plays the Writer, who witnesses the terrifying Martian invasion. Piana's flat portrayal of a charisma-free narrator/protagonist is, arguably, in keeping with original novel. (Wells biographer Michael Coren has rightly noted "War of the Worlds" is "not a work of characters and relationships, but totally one of plot and concept.")

Footnote: Considering fidelity to source material is pic's major selling point, it seems odd that Hines, much like Pal before him, gives more credit to God for the rescue of humanity than Wells did. Dialogue explaining why Martians expired before enslaving mankind sounds suspiciously like a direct quote from Barre Lyndon's script for the '53 production. '

Meanwhile, yet another slew of first-time reviewers have given the film rave reviews over at Amazon - aside from the 'no wonder audiences love this film and Paramount are rightly running scared' routines ('It's underpriced from the underdogs. I am sure in years to come this will be the version of War of the Worlds that is watched and talked about'; 'Now I know why this movie is getting so much... attention and love from the public'), one comments on the Variety review in completely unparanoid tones:

'Well, after two tedious hours watching the Spielberg film, all I can say is, I now understand why there were so many angry one star reviews aimed at Pendragon. There must be alot of fear in the Spielberg camp that a little indie film could be so good with so little. And Spielberg has to justify a hundred million dollars spent. I won't review Spielbergs movie here, but I'll just say it was a boring two hours with big special effects adding up to zero.

The Pendragon version on the other hand is the book. It is a faithful adaptation. There are many lies and rumors floating around about it. None of what the negative reviews said were true. The film is not Ed Wood. It is not in black and white with backwards footage as the Variety reviewer said. He must have written his review from a synopsis and other people's reviews.'

O-kay then....

romanD

#21 Post by romanD »

I GOT TO SEE IT!!!!! lol... get my usual camp crowd together and have a romp... but I guess at 180 minutes that's hard to sell... :-)

romanD

#22 Post by romanD »

btw, no comments on its score???? :-)))

and has anyone seen the other wotw rip off now?

AndyDursin

#23 Post by AndyDursin »

and has anyone seen the other wotw rip off now?
Looks like the distribution might be even worse on that one. But, I added it to my online rental queue, so I'll check it out whenever it arrives :)

Carlson2005

#24 Post by Carlson2005 »

romanD wrote:btw, no comments on its score???? :-)))
The reaction to the score has been modestly favourable, largely because it's competent - a major achievement on a farrago like this (although there are approximately 8 new reviews applauding - literally - the filmmakers on Amazon every day from first time posters). It's okay, especially in another terrible year for film music and certainly better than the film deserves, although there is only a limited amount of thematic material and several cues seem to have been crudely tacked onto scenes that presumambly were intended to play without music (there are some very 'rubber' music edits).

Taken away from the film the fact it's a synth pretending to be an orchestra will be more noticeable, but it's fair to say that the composer is the only person involved who should be allowed to work again. The others should be institutionalised before they film again. Under no circumstances should they be allowed to breed.

Incidentally, if you want to know what Anthony 'the next Al Pacino' Piana and his amazing moustache look like, I'm pretty sure this was the inspiration:

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0 ... ZZZZZZ.jpg
Andy can testify that I am definitely not exaggerating here...

AndyDursin

#25 Post by AndyDursin »

Andy can testify that I am definitely not exaggerating here...
lol. No Trevor you're clearly not......those copies still going for $180 or has the mania died down?

Carlson2005

#26 Post by Carlson2005 »

Sadly, not - bids are between £16-00.99p. There go my holiday plans...

Carlson2005

#27 Post by Carlson2005 »

I can't help myself - this is a bizarre magnet luring me to my own destruction - but I had to check out the latest reviews on Amazon...

Hmm, this doesn't sound like someone who has read the book or seen the film to me - what's the betting Timbo's multiple identies all vote this 'not useful' on Amazon?

'Not true to the spirit of the book at all, July 2, 2005[/b]
Reviewer: Greg Jordan (Perth, Oz) - See all my reviews
There are some odd reviews here, to be sure. I'd be inclined to rate this a star higher for effort, but some of the reviews here are so oddly enthusiastic that I just have to dock a star for balance.

It's strange that in all the talk of accuracy there's no talk of the context or subtext of Wells book. This film includes a LOT of what is inessential about Wells book while completely missing what it is really about. Elements that don't chime with the upbeat cookie cutter exploitation aims of the derivative filmmakers, like the second disturbing Artilleryman scene (where he thanks the Martians for killing the weak and leaving the strong) or the vision of the dead capital city are unceremoniously junked as if they don't matter.

Worse is the total change from Wells point of view. Someone has said that the quotes about religion come from the book. Yes, but not the context. Like everything else, the filmmakers have completely misunderstood. The character is a Christian, so talks of God, but everything he experienced, as he later admits in the epilogue that is completely cut from the film, undermines and disproves that faith. (Wells was an atheist and this book is an attack on religion and imperialism both.) Prayers go unanswered, priests go mad and the world is destroyed by science. Not only that, but the pessimism of the ending is swapped for triumph. In Wells novel it is clearly said that this is not a victory for humanity but a reprieve, that the Martians will return and possibly ultimately conquer mankind. You won't find that in the cookie cutter production line happy ending here. This is a film about bland people in waistcoats with bad accents taking on Martians, nothing more.

And this is cheap production line stuff. One reviewer said comparing this to other versions was like comparing a restaurant to McDonalds. That's unfair. This is no superbly cooked feast, it's a burnt cheeseburger that's fallen on the floor, been dragged out by the cat, chucked up and then put back in the bap in the hope you won't notice the difference. If you do get suckered, my advice is to send it back and demand an apology from the manager. It seems to be infected with the same kind of unhealthy bacillus that did for the Martians.'

We don' need no steenkin' contex! No, THESE are the honest reviws!

First-timer D. Troberman compares it favorably to Cold Mountain:
'See H.G. Wells' The War Of The Worlds to see a film that is well crafted and returns to the tradition of good cinema, where a film has a great story, great characters, great actors, and something to say about life.'
First-timer Gerson Goldman goes further:
'Movies like this never die because they speak the spirit individuality in storytelling. Yes. This movie was not a cutout as I read by some and others tried to say was somehow a hoax comment. But it is true.

Even the people not getting it or not liking it could not say it was a carbon copy of a typical Hollywood movie.

These filmmakers did not try to copy Spielberg, as I understand another low budget did, just to cash in.

They made it their own way. You can see that the filmmakers really really cared about this project and from all I've read had a deep passion to make it.

They must have for all the heat they've taken for going ahead and not stopping even though Steven Spielberg later decided to make it as well.

You can see the passion on the screen. The music score is giant, epic and passionate like the rest of the production.

These filmmakers are the real thing. Orson Welles, who made the 1930's radio broadcast of The War Of The Worlds was persecuted and attacked by the mainstream for years for doing the projects he wanted even though he stepped on some pretty big toes. And now Orson Welles movies are taught in schools.

The filmmakers don't need any encouragement from me. They seem to have the stuff of courage. I think there is few who could deny that. But I send it to them anyway.

Some will not like this movie. There are those that think Macdonalds cheeseburgers are the best in the world. And there are those who prefer that which is hand made and no two are alike. that is what this The War Of The Worlds is. I will place this movie in my collection next to my classics. It is a one of a kind.'
Bravo for telling it like it is, Mr Goldman!

First timer Kay Broihier says:
'I have an interest in everything Victorian. I appreciate the fine detail that was put into portraying the accuracy of turn-of-the-century living. Their manners, the way people walked and talked, the clothes and hair styles are all very well presented in this movie. I would have loved to be in this story.

The main character was very charming and charismatic, as well as the other supporting characters. There was always a sense of charm about the characters, even when terribly suffering.'
Okay, Kay, we'll send a Martian handling machine around to yours ASAP to suck out all your blood. Enjoy feeding time, and don't forget to bring your suspenders and tiara!

First timer Werner Karimi adds to the already deafening aplause:
'Heartwrenching love and war story. Best telling of Wells ever. Ever. Ever. Thank you for staying true to the story. THANK YOU! '
No, thank YOU, Mr Karimi. Ker-ching!

Meanwhile, first-timer Bonnie Tres has a warning to those who mock:
'H.G. Wells' The War Of The Worlds is about what might happen if we as a society are complacent and arrogant. The martians invading are the way Wells said, "hey, everyone, what if you weren't the greatest force on earth?" The morals that come out of the story are "do onto others as you would like others to do onto you" and that hubris or arrogance is and always will be man's down fall...

I can't think of a single person I know who would not enjoy this movie. If you're a sci-fi fan or a Wells fan you love it all the better.'
You're right, Bonnie: no-one gives hubris like Timbo!

But shame on InLikeFlynn of Chiswick for his totally dishonest...
'How bad? You've got egg on you bad!

You've got to laugh at all these rabid nutters saying all the bad reviews are written by Steven Spielberg. Trust me, the guy has nothing to worry about from this practical joke, unless its busting a rib laughing. It's obvious five minutes in this isn't a proper movie, it's all just a big con on the audience. They're trying for something Orson Welles, conning the audience into thinking it's a real movie, but they don't have Welles' smarts. They've got just enough in focus stuff to put together a trailer for this that could look good, but after that it's really, really cheap stuff all the way, like watching a really bad live TV play from the early 70s only with worse effects. By the time you find this out, of course, they've got yer money and you've got egg on you!

Spielberg's film is a long way from his best, but the people who made this turkey on their best day couldn't even hope to be 1/10000th as good a him on his worst. If you want to see a really good version of the film, stick to the old 1953 version, which is better than any of them - and still the closest to the feel of the book! '

He couldn't be wrong. Nor, for that matter, could Tomas Burton of Texas:

'Not faithful to the book at all + a very very bad film

I keep on noticing identical reviews here saying this film is faithful to the book. It is not. Either they've never read it or they are lying. There are huge changes to the book, esp. in the second half of the film. This may not mean much if you haven't read it, but things like the Red Weed, Dead London and the Artilleryman's demented dreams of a brave new world, the chess game, digging the hole and all of the last two chapters of the book are completely thrown out. There are other big changes all the way through the film, like setting it in 1910s America, and lots of minor ones (the cousin becomes a woman the hero is leering at over dinner, the Ulla war cry has been changed, the man the Martians feed on has turned into a woman in suspenders! tacky!!!). The biggest change is that Wells' atheist take on events and the powerlessness of religion is completely perverted by the writer director.

So, establishing this isn't really the faithful version they claim should that matter? Not if the film were any good. But it's the worst film I've ever seen. It's not like a matter of taste - oh, I don't like Fellini/Lucas/Leone/Milius/old movies. It's bad as in really, really badly made. Bad acting, bad video cam work that shakes all the time, really bad effects. Not funny bad either, BOOORRRING bad!

Somebody said this was an insult to Wells, but it's also an insult to the audience. Not a faithful version, and not a good film. And no, I don't work for Paramount either, but even if I and everybody else here who hates it did, it would still be the worst film ever made from H.G. Wells. Next to this Val Kilmer's Island of Dr Moreau is Apocalypse Now!!! Big boos all round to the cheats who made this!'

Sure, like YOU actually saw the film! Besides, you're a guy and everyone knows that chicks dig this film the most!

Let's leave the last word with another first-timer, Seattle's own Jenny Oakley - why, she might even have bumped into the Divine Emperor Timbo in her local Vons!
'Hello
It is funny reading all the reviews. Since everybody wants to do the Spielberg/Hines comparison thing, I will too. I have seen both versions, and I must say that I liked the Hines version better. Sure, Spielberg's movie is shiny and loud and flashy...kind of like a great big obnoxious SUV. Sure, Spielberg's movie has TOM CRUISE in it (gasp!). Blah blah blah. Spielberg's movie was just like any other big loud hollywood flic. And I heard tell on Oprah that Cruise and Spielberg each gave eachother expensive gifts of a motorcycle and car for the end of production celebration. Hmmmm...must be nice. All the ladies on Oprah thought so, by the orgasmic looks on their faces. Oh wait. That must have been Tom Cruise making their botox sweat.

Now take Timothy Hines War of the Worlds film. Let's say you take the motorcycle and car that Cruise and Spielberg gave eachother. Sell them. Now hold the cash in your hand. It would probably be more than the entire budget that Hines had to work with. With that in mind, One has to be impressed with the result of Hines film. There is a lot of heart in it that you just don't see in the Spielberg movie. Whereas Spielberg's movie was a great gas guzzling SUV, Hines's film is more like a beloved station wagon where you pile all the kids into for a sunday drive. You could tell there was a lot of love put into it. If you don't like low budget, don't see it. If you feel like seeing some unremarkable eye candy that will meld into every other overproduced hollywood action movie ever made, then go see Spielberg's version.'
All hail Timbo! Long live the new flesh!

AndyDursin

#28 Post by AndyDursin »

I can't help myself - this is a bizarre magnet luring me to my own destruction - but I had to check out the latest reviews on Amazon...
Looks like Pendragon is more successful at writing reviews for their own movies than actually making them!

I have my C. Thomas Howell version due in on Tuesday (via my rental queue), I will report back with all findings asap. :)

Carlson2005

#29 Post by Carlson2005 »

Amazon finally deleted a review. Unfortunately it was one of the more rational and informative ones. It would be a shame if Hines missed it. Luckily another site archived it:

'A serious word of warning to Tim Hines and his Shills here
“David Manning II” "- disgusted H.G. Wells fan" - see all my reviews,

This is not a threat, simply a statement of legal precedent. Take it or leave it as you wish. I recommend you check up the facts for yourself before making further posts here.

Ignoring the fact that you have been bombarding this site with fake reviews to push the genuine ones to the back of the queue, you should be aware of the potential legal consequences of your actions.

In 2003, a Sony Pictures publicist falsified reviews for ‘A Knight’s Tale.’ This cost the studio $1.5m.

A report of the case, 29th January 2004: ‘An appeals court has knocked down Sony Films' efforts to block a class-action suit over the company's advertisements for A Knight’s Tale which contained comments praising the film from a bogus reviewer. (The reviewer, "David Manning," who described the film's leading man, Heath Ledger, as "this year's hottest new star," was exposed as the invention of a Sony marketing executive, assigned to put a positive spin on poorly reviewed films.) Sony had sought to block the suit on grounds of protected speech, but Judge Robert Mallano wrote in his majority decision that if Sony's position were upheld, "all sorts of mischief" might ensue. "For example," he said, "a film could be advertised as having garnered 'Three Golden Globe Nominations' when it had received none."’

Here’s a report of the verdict on 3rd September 2004: ‘Sony Pictures has agreed to pay $1.5 million to settle a class action suit charging that the company conned them into seeing movies by planting fake reviews in their advertisements, Reuters reported today (Friday), citing an unnamed source. The suit was originally filed in June 2001 after Newsweek magazine exposed the fact that a review cited in one of the ads for Sony's movie ‘A Knight’s Tale’ (released in May of 2001) was actually written by a Sony publicist who concocted the name David Manning.’

If it happened to Sony, it can happen to you. Stop posting fake reviews and leave this site to genuine customers and their opinions, good or bad. Some real people do like the film, but your fake reviews make even them suspect. You are doing yourself no good by your actions. No-one from Paramount is posting here – the only ‘corporate shills’ are clearly from the production company, and they risk serious legal consequences.

Amazon customers, please read through these reviews VERY carefully. Many of the reviews, good and bad, are fake so you should exercise serious caution.'

Oh, if only some gipped punters would get together on this one!

AndyDursin

#30 Post by AndyDursin »

I skimmed parts of the Asylum version -- it's bad too, but at least it's watchable in a terrible, made-for-Sci-Fi Channel kind of way.

Hilarious "behind the scenes" documentary with C. Thomas and a pasty-looking Jake Busey (looking like his bad more than the military commandant he's playing) explaining their appearances in the movie.