THE RELIC re-release in Germany

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
romanD

THE RELIC re-release in Germany

#1 Post by romanD »

Hi there,

dont know whether that is of interest. The first release of THE RELIC was non-anamorphic and even in the wrong format (so you couldnt read the credits in the main titles!) and a barebone release. So finally it gets a re-release over here, corrected format, anamorphic and some extras (but not much) and also a DTS sound... it's cheap, coming out on July 20th.

Dont know how the US release is, but thought you might find that of interest.

Like the movie a lot, is one of the better Alien-clones and for a change an original monster design. The book was much better, but still it is a quite good movie version of it...
(the movie had awful editing though...)

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

The US RELIC DVD isn't that problematic Roman -- it doesn't look good but Hyams' cinematography was always dark and blurry to begin with. I also believe it is 16:9 enhanced too, but I haven't watched it in a while...I don't remember there ever being an issue with the credits though, at least in the US version.

Anyway, I agree it's due for a re-issue -- and I thought the movie was great fun! Good creature effects, solid performances, and an okay score by John Debney. Too bad they didn't make a sequel (the books had a whole series of follow-ups!).

romanD

#3 Post by romanD »

actually there was just one sequel book called RELIQUARY. Many other book s by the authohs had same characters however, but totally different stories...

the reliquary had good moments, but suffered from too much explanations for those who haven't read RELIC. Making a sequel to the movie following the book-sequel's storyline would be problematic however as almost all characters who survived book 1 died in the movie. Therefor it would be tough to transfer the story to the screen, except you dont say it is a sequel or you make a sequel with completely new characters. Also the monster in the movie looks so differently (mainly in seize) to the one in the book that that would cause a problem, too... still, you could create all kind of weird creatures for a sequel with the gene thing going crazy everytime you come in contact with it and creating new monsters... that would be cool.

The score plays better on CD I think, they hacked it up quite a lot in the movie.

Dont know why they buried the movie in a January release, though it did reasonably well for that time of the year, didnt it?
I know a lot of people who really like it!