Cinderella Man and Ron Howard

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
mkaroly

Cinderella Man and Ron Howard

#1 Post by mkaroly »

Has anyone seen CINDERELLA MAN? If so, what did you think? And what do you think of Ron Howard as a director? I thought the film's fight sequences were pretty good (a colorized RAGING BULL), but it disturbed me that we saw Braddock through "rose colored glasses". I hope this isn't a spoiler or anything, but I find it difficult to sit through a movie where the protagonist is not faulted for anything but glorified, especially in a movie about a person that actually existed. Everyone around him was at fault; he came off as being "perfect". I suppose that this is in line with other Ron Howard films like A BEAUTIFUL MIND and APOLLO 13 (where he looks back at history nostalgically), and we do tend to remember the good things about a person and glorify them. It just makes for a weird movie experience when nearly everyone but the main character is against the main character. Thomas Newman's score is very good-

Would you consider Ron Howard to be an influential American director? One could say that Spielberg, Scorsese, Woody Allen, and Kubrick (if you don't consider him a British filmmaker) as contemporary "influential" filmmakers, and John Ford, John Huston, Billy Wilder, etc. as legends, but would you lump Howard in with them? I'm being vague as to criteria because I'm not even sure what I'm getting after here- just going with a train of thought.

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

hi Michael (and welcome to the board!!),
Haven't seen it. It's unsurprising that, despite mostly good reviews, the movie has basically tanked at the box-office...seemed like an Autumn kind of release, and Universal took a gamble opening it during the summer season (a gamble that has basically backfired big-time).

Of course Russell Crowe's antics in the Big Apple couldn't have helped publicity...I'm guessing Tom Cruise's Katie Holmes-Scientology-I Hate Brooke Shields tirades isn't going to help WAR OF THE WORLDS either.