Ridley Scott: "Do yourself a favor and buy a BluRay&quo

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Paul MacLean

Ridley Scott: "Do yourself a favor and buy a BluRay&quo

#1 Post by Paul MacLean »

He's a brief interview with Ridley Scott where he extolls the virtues of high definition home video...

Eric Paddon

#2 Post by Eric Paddon »

No way, Ridley. No Blu-Rays for me anytime soon.

JSWalsh

#3 Post by JSWalsh »

If Ridley starts making good movies again, maybe I will. :P

I don't see the need to buy a Blu-Ray myself. I get more movies on DVD from bargain places and through the Boston library system. Plus, I don't have a fancy TV--it's big, and only 5 years old, but it was the only one in the store with an actual big-ass picture tube. So for me there's just no point at all.
John

Castile

#4 Post by Castile »

I'm tempted, what with films like "The Robe" & "Oz" coming to Blu. However, it's too big an investment at the moment, so I may just pick up some selected titles along the way and put them aside until I purchase a player, just like I did in the early days of DVD. I don't mind waiting a bit. 8)

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

If you have an HDTV set there's no other way to go. BLADE RUNNER, 2001, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS and any one of his movies look tremendous in high definition.

I'm glad to see BD holding up pretty well in this economy. I wouldn't expect to see that many "crossover" titles in the BD format but we're seeing a few archival movies show up, like THE ROBE, QUO VADIS, etc. The format could use more variety and software selection, no question, and I think the prices need to come down on software (hardware is pretty reasonable these days, even the bargain player at Walmart, which is under $199 and which I found for $99 on an online special, is actually quite excellent).

Otherwise, I'm all for physical media, so it's a bit encouraging, if slow to be embraced by the masses overall.

Paul MacLean

#6 Post by Paul MacLean »

I just spent $300 repairing my camera...so no BluRay for me anytime soon! :(

Eric W.

#7 Post by Eric W. »

Paul MacLean wrote:I just spent $300 repairing my camera...so no BluRay for me anytime soon! :(

D'oh!

Anways, obviously I agree with both Andy and Ridley. ;)

John Johnson

#8 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:If you have an HDTV set there's no other way to go. BLADE RUNNER, 2001, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS and any one of his movies look tremendous in high definition.

I'm glad to see BD holding up pretty well in this economy. I wouldn't expect to see that many "crossover" titles in the BD format but we're seeing a few archival movies show up, like THE ROBE, QUO VADIS, etc. The format could use more variety and software selection, no question, and I think the prices need to come down on software (hardware is pretty reasonable these days, even the bargain player at Walmart, which is under $199 and which I found for $99 on an online special, is actually quite excellent).

Otherwise, I'm all for physical media, so it's a bit encouraging, if slow to be embraced by the masses overall.
I have an HD set. I'm just waiting for June when I should some extra dosh to afford a Panasonic BD player. It'll be one that's been chipped of course, so I can still watch my R2 discs.
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

Should try and find the LG BH200 John, as it plays everything, even out of region BD discs (which is a different issue than playing R2 discs), HD-DVDs and BDs alike. At this point you can probably find it discounted.

Paul MacLean

#10 Post by Paul MacLean »

Paul MacLean wrote:I just spent $300 repairing my camera...so no BluRay for me anytime soon! :(
Eric W. wrote: D'oh!

The thing I really want to look into is a BluRay burner. Its really getting frustrating owning a camera that shoots HD footage...but only being able to burn standard definition DVDs. :x

Eric W.

#11 Post by Eric W. »

Paul MacLean wrote:
Eric W. wrote: D'oh!

The thing I really want to look into is a BluRay burner. Its really getting frustrating owning a camera that shoots HD footage...but only being able to burn standard definition DVDs. :x

In addition to that:

We're way overdue to start getting Blu-Ray Recorders here in the West.

There's some legalism standing in the way of having those come out here in the West. They've had them out in Japan for several years now.

Very annoying and inexcuseable.

John Johnson

#12 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:Should try and find the LG BH200 John, as it plays everything, even out of region BD discs (which is a different issue than playing R2 discs), HD-DVDs and BDs alike. At this point you can probably find it discounted.
A large part of my DVD collection is R2. Unless it plays them I can't see myself getting that player.
London. Greatest City in the world.

mkaroly

#13 Post by mkaroly »

I don't need one. The movies I have are good enough and I don't need to go buying them AGAIN and AGAIN (when BR puts out the Super Special Editions on down the line...STAR TREK anyone)? Once regular DVDs are not manufactured anymore, it will be one less thing I spend my money on.

AndyDursin

#14 Post by AndyDursin »

John Johnson wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:Should try and find the LG BH200 John, as it plays everything, even out of region BD discs (which is a different issue than playing R2 discs), HD-DVDs and BDs alike. At this point you can probably find it discounted.
A large part of my DVD collection is R2. Unless it plays them I can't see myself getting that player.
It DOES play all regions.

romanD

#15 Post by romanD »

so there are BR Player which can play all regions? I thought that was not possible...

one of the reasons it kept me away from buying one, as I buy DVDs from all over the world all the time...