NIGHT OF THE CREEPS At Last Coming to DVD [and Blu]

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

NIGHT OF THE CREEPS At Last Coming to DVD [and Blu]

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

...and even better, with its original ending restored (which had been shown in syndicated TV airings, and is ten times better than the theatrical cut's final "cheap shock.")

This is one of my favorite mid '80s sci-fi horrors, with a healthy dose of humor and a lot of fun performances (Tom Atkins in particular).

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40650
Last edited by AndyDursin on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

The Blu-Ray version has been confirmed :)

For the First Time on Blu-ray™ and DVD

The Campy 1980’s Horror Classic

NIGHT OF THE CREEPS

Director’s Cut

Get Your Creep On…

Debuting on Blu-ray & DVD October 20th

Featuring the Shocking Original Ending!

Culver City, CA (7/27/09) – The screams of horror movie fans have finally been heard as Sony Pictures Home Entertainment unleashes the eagerly awaited 80’s horror comedy NIGHT OF THE CREEPS on Blu-ray and DVD for the first time ever this October 20, 2009, both featuring the long lost Director’s Cut! Fans can now relive this chillingly entertaining cult classic about a small college town ravaged by killer slugs from outer space as Writer/Director Fred Dekker intended, with the original ending and loaded with killer bonus features including over sixty minutes of all-new Behind-the-Scenes featurettes. Included are “Birth of the Creeps,” in which Dekker discusses the inspiration behind his filmmaking debut; “Cast of the Creeps,” in which actors Jason Lively, Tom Atkins, Steve Marshall and Jill Whitlow reminisce about the making the cult classic; “Creating the Creeps,” in which Make-Up FX Creators David B. Miller and Robert Kurtzman reveal how they brought the slithering slug-like "creeps" to life; “Escape of the Creeps,” exploring the film’s difficult journey to the big screen; “Tom Atkins: Man of Action,” focusing on the career of beloved genre star Tom Atkins and, finally, “Legend of the Creeps” in which cast and crew discuss the film’s enduring cult legacy. Additional bonus features include both of the film’s endings; audio commentaries with Dekker and cast; deleted scenes; original theatrical trailer; a trivia track and footage from the June 2009 cast reunion screening at The Original Alamo Drafthouse Cinema. The Blu-ray Disc™ of NIGHT OF THE CREEPS will feature additional bonus material, including a digital copy of the film for playback on PC, PSP®, Mac or iPod®, access to BD-Live exclusive content and downloads, plus loyalty rewards via the Sony Pictures Blu-ray Club. NIGHTS OF THE CREEPS will be available on Blu-ray for the suggested price of $XX.XX, while the Director’s Cut DVD will be available for $19.94.

To appease CREEPS fans, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and Amazon.com are sponsoring a unique contest in which fans can vote on the film’s final DVD box art. Log on to Amazon.com for more details beginning June 29, 2009.

Synopsis

In this campy chiller, a college couple in 1959, see an object plummet to Earth like a meteor. The boy accidentally swallows a space-slug that shoots out. In 1986, two freshmen roam the campus and stumble across the corpse of the boy who swallowed the space-slug. Once thawed out, the corpse comes to life.

NIGHT OF THE CREEPS marked the feature directorial debut of cult horror director Fred Dekker (RoboCop 3, The Monster Squad), who also wrote the screenplay. It stars Tom Atkins (My Bloody Valentine), Jason Lively (European Vacation), Steve Marshall (Sleeping in a Dream), David Paymer (Drag Me to Hell) and Jill Whitlow (Weird Science). It was released by TriStar Pictures and has a run time of approximately 90 minutes. It is Rated R.

Blu-ray™ and DVD Bonus Material

* Audio Commentary with Members of the Cast
* Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Fred Dekker
* Deleted Scenes
* Alternate Ending – Theatrical Version
* Original Theatrical Trailer
* Trivia Track
* 6 Behind-the-Scenes Featurettes:
o Birth of the Creeps - Writer/Director Fred Dekker discusses his influences and early filmmaking experiences and how NIGHT OF THE CREEPS evolved into his debut feature film.
o Cast of the Creeps - Actors Jason Lively, Tom Atkins, Steve Marshall, and Actress Jill Whitlow talk about their experiences on the film, and how they have dealt with the film's enduring cult success over the past 25 years.
o Creating the Creeps - Make-Up FX Creators David B. Miller, Robert Kurtzman and others discuss the extensive make-up creations in the film, and how they brought the slithering sluglike "creeps" to life.
o Escape of the Creeps - A detailed look into the film's post-production and why the film was barely released to theatres with Writer/Director Fred Dekker, Composer Barry DeVorzon, and Producer Charles Gordon.
o Legend of the Creeps - Final words from the cast & crew on the film's enduring cult popularity plus interviews with the film’s biggest fans.
o Tom Atkins: Man of Action – A detailed look at the career of Tom Atkins with testimonials from filmmakers he’s worked with over the past thirty years.
* Footage from the June 2009 cast reunion screening at The Original Alamo Drafthouse Cinema

The Pessimist

#3 Post by The Pessimist »

Bizarrely, I don't think I've seen that.
'Sorry about that one.' -Ed Wood

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

It's a lot of fun with some campy (intentional) laughs, a few memorable lines and a terrific Tom Atkins performance. Not meant to be taken too seriously, it's a bit of a homage to '50s sci-fi films while still being firmly an '80s genre movie. The theatrical ending was always the movie's biggest flaw too -- just a lousy, sour end that will now be rectified by using Dekker's original conclusion, which concluded the TV version for many years.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

It's a lot of fun with some campy (intentional) laughs, a few memorable lines and a terrific Tom Atkins performance. Not meant to be taken too seriously, it's a bit of a homage to '50s sci-fi films while still being firmly an '80s genre movie. The theatrical ending was always the movie's biggest flaw too -- just a lousy, sour end that will now be rectified by using Dekker's original conclusion. Should be a lot of fun :)

The Pessimist

#6 Post by The Pessimist »

There was a TV version too?
'Sorry about that one.' -Ed Wood

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

The Pessimist wrote:There was a TV version too?
TV version meaning the TV broadcasts of the movie, i.e. when it airs on Sci-Fi Channel (or Syfy or whatever it's called now), etc.

John Johnson

#8 Post by John Johnson »

And a soundtrack on it's way too.

Our next two releases come Oct 27. Since we are setting up a day and date signing with Dark Delicacies for these two titles (and they need to let their customers know what the titles will be and who will be there) I will spill the beans on those releases:

CHILDS PLAY (LIMITED EDITION OF 1200 UNITS)
NIGHT OF THE CREEPS (LIMITED EDITION OF 2000 UNITS)

The plan is to have Tom Holland and Joe Renzetti sign Child's Play and Fred Dekker and Barry DeVorzon sign Creeps for our website.

MV

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p ... &archive=0
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

I hated the score for CHILD'S PLAY.

CREEPS was all electronic and was merely okay as memory serves. Lots of good nostalgic tunes on the soundtrack though.

Monterey Jack

#10 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:I hated the score for CHILD'S PLAY.
It's effective enough in the film, but what I really want on CD is Graeme Revell's awesome score to Child's Play 2 (orchestrated and conducted by Shirley Walker).

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:I hated the score for CHILD'S PLAY.
It's effective enough in the film, but what I really want on CD is Graeme Revell's awesome score to Child's Play 2 (orchestrated and conducted by Shirley Walker).
I didn't even think it was effective in the movie. Between that and Renzetti's hideous POLTERGEIST III score I'd say his 1988 soundtracks were as bad as they come.

Agreed on Revell though. Sadly it's Universal so there's far less a chance of that happening anytime soon...

romanD

#12 Post by romanD »

true CHILDS PLAY and POLTERGEIST 3 are really hideous scores... and Renzetti even won an oscar once... ugh...

NOTC Score I dont think warrants a CD either, but if there are songs on it etc it might be a nice merchandise.

CHILDS PLAY 2 would be too nice! Revell even integrated his theme in a very clever and subtle way into his BRIDE OF CHUCKY score...

Monterey Jack

Re: NIGHT OF THE CREEPS At Last Coming to DVD [and Blu]

#13 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin

#14 Post by AndyDursin »

Was hard not to have a movie crush on Jill Whitlow back in the day 8)

I wonder what they're going to put into this to make a 2 disc set.

Monterey Jack

#15 Post by Monterey Jack »

People are more excited at the prospect of owning a Tom Atkins action figure than that actual movie at Blu-Ray-com. :lol:

And Jill Whitlow...yummy. :D