CONSTANTINE

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

CONSTANTINE

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Just curious if anyone else checked out this Keanu Reeves epic. I was shocked to find that it's actually pretty good -- a semblance of a plot, good performances (though Keanu's a little stiff), some interesting dialogue and black humor, plus decent effects.

Unfortunately Warner's sent me the 1-disc edition (we're not big enough for the 2-disc, sadly), so I can't catch all the supplements...though even this "vanilla" version contained the 18 mins. of deleted scenes with an alternate ending.

I noticed how well -- REALLY well -- CONSTANTINE fared overseas. It brought in over $150 million worldwide, to augment its respectable $75 million take domestically. I assume based on those numbers that we'll see a sequel, especially if the DVD does well.

At any rate, in a year of one bomb after another, this one is actually worth a rental. Thumbs up, as they say :)

romanD

#2 Post by romanD »

yeah, I even liked it more the second time I saw it. Back in the theatres I guess I was expecting more action/horror than it finally had. Knowing that it is a little slower and figuring out the sometimes a bit confusing plot elements I liked it pretty much. Still was shocked again about the treatment of the score. First they hack up the great score by Tyler, then they hire Badelt, let him destroy Tyler's work, then dont' use almost any of his crap, go back and forth between what tyler and badelt did... hack up both scores, reject the most of both, use the same crappy badelt cues over and over and mix it all so quiet into the movie as if they were ashamed of the horrible score now and dont want anyone to notice. There are many scenes were you cant really be sure whether there is score or not. Ugh! However it is not possibel to put Tyler's score onto the movie, as apparently they also recut the movie after the scoring and almost none of his original cues fit the scenes...

anyway... the extras on the second disc are standard fx explainations and such... nothing to run home about, but ok stuff...

surprisingly the deleted scenes dont contain the alternate beginning with the zombies at the beach... the pics looked pretty cool... :-(((

I think you can make a great sequel to this... whether it does do justice the comic books? Seriously, I don't care... it's a good movie, that's all I care.
I just hope they bring in Christopher Young for the sequel... just imagine what he would have done with this movie? Jazz for the film noir aspects, full blown horror for the demons, sound design for hell, thunderous action for the actionscenes... this movie would have benefitted so much more from an imaginative composer and a producer who let's him do that! The score in this movie is an insult for everybody, not only the audience but for Tyler and even Badelt too!