The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector’s Ed.

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector’s Ed.

#1 Post by John Johnson »

Warner Home Video have announced the US DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector’s Edition on 29th September 2009. This new commemorative edition contains nearly 4 hours of all-new and never-before-available bonus features and is housed in numbered collectible packaging, and will be available for a limited time only for $69.92 SRP (DVD) and $84.99 SRP (Blu-ray). There will also be a new 2-Disc Special Edition DVD ($24.98 SRP) available.

From the press release:

In order to bring all the visual splendor of The Wizard of Oz to the Hi-Def world of Blu-ray Disc, the film has been entirely remastered, with each of the original Technicolor camera negatives scanned using 8K resolution. From this scan, a final ‘capture’ master was created in 4K, yielding twice the resolution seen in the master utilized for the film's previous DVD release.

Working in ‘full film Resolution’, extreme care was taken to ensure that all of the image fidelity contained in the original negatives was properly captured for this new presentation. The sounds of Oz will come alive on Blu-ray disc utilizing the full audio spectrum capabilities available through Dolby TrueHD audio. The net result is one of unprecedented quality that is sure to make The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary Edition a benchmark in the history of the Blu-ray format.

The following components are ALL-NEW and exclusive to this release:

The Dreamer of Oz – which makes its long-awaited home video debut. Also remastered the occasion, this full-length motion picture was an NBC-TV special event in 1990 and thrilled critics and audiences as it told the back story of author L. Frank Baum, "the Royal Historian of Oz.” John Ritter shines in the title role -- the man who defied all odds to create the famous characters and stories. Annette O'Toole beautifully co-stars as his supportive wife, with Rue McClanahan as his challenging witch of a mother-in-law.

Victor Fleming, Master Craftsman -- a new feature-length documentary produced specifically for this release about the Hollywood director who, in the same year, miraculously brought both Oz and Gone With the Wind to the screen.

Hollywood Celebrates It’s Biggest Little Stars-- a new featurette stars seven of the original "Munchkins of Oz" and tells the saga of the long journey, culminating in them receiving their own 2007 Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

The Magic Cloak of Oz -- the first release of the complete 1914 silent film, including lost footage never before included in a home video presentation of this feature (produced by Baum himself).

The Patchwork Girl of Oz -- another 1914 Baum-produced, feature-length silent film, new to Warner Home Video.

The Wizard of Oz Sing-Along Track -- here making its home entertainment debut.

Reproductions of Archival Material -- Extraordinary renderings of the original 1939 Oz campaign, exploitation, and press books. These materials constitute a Hollywood "holy grail" for Oz, Garland, and motion picture fans alike and, for decades, have been among the most sought-after and impossible-to-find collectibles.

Behind The Curtain -- a 52-page miniature coffee-table book, assembled by pre-eminent Oz historian John Fricke. Encompassing much previously unpublished material, the deluxe volume includes behind-the-scenes Oz photographs, studio memos, and script pages for abandoned scenes and musical numbers.

Exclusive Wizard of Oz Watch -- A collectible and numbered 70th Anniversary watch, incorporating art from the film and enhanced with genuine crystals. Available nowhere else, this beautiful timepiece was created specially for this DVD edition.

And for the Blu-Ray Ultimate Collector’s Edition, the original extended version of “If I Only Had a Brain” performed by Ray Bolger has been remastered in hi-definition especially for this release.

2-Disc DVD ($24.98 SRP)

Disc 1
Remastered feature with Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio (NEW)
Sing-along Track (NEW)
Commentary by John Fricke with Barbara Freed-Saltzman (daughter of Arthur Freed), Margaret Hamilton, Ray Bolger, Jack Haley, John Lahr (son of Bert Lahr), Jane Lahr (daughter of Bert Lahr), Hamilton Meserve (son of Margaret Hamilton), Dona Massin (MGM choreographer), William Tuttle (make-up artist), Buddy Ebsen, Mervyn LeRoy, and Jerry Maren
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Storybook
Prettier Than Ever: The Restoration of Oz
We Haven’t Really Met Properly
Music and Effects Track
Original Mono Track

Disc 2
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: The Making of a Movie Classic [1990 TV special]
Memories of Oz [2001 TCM documentary]
The Art of Imagination: A Tribute to Oz
Because of the Wonderful Things it Does: The Legacy of Oz
Harold Arlen’s Home Movies
Outtakes and Deleted Scenes
It’s a Twister! It’s a Twister! The Tornado Tests
Off to See the Wizard
3 Vault Shorts
Audio Jukebox Selection
Leo Is on the Air Radio Promo
Good News of 1939 Radio Show
12/25/1950 Lux Radio Theater Broadcast
Still Galleries
Six Theatrical Trailers

DVD & Blu-ray Ultimate Collector’s Editions
Includes everything listed in the Two Disc SE as well as the following:

Disc 3
Victor Fleming: Master Craftsman (NEW)
L. Frank Baum: The Man Behind the Curtain
Celebrating Hollywood’s Biggest Little Stars (NEW)
The Dreamer of Oz [1990 TV special] (NEW)
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1910)
The Wizard of Oz [1933]

Disc 4
• His Majesty, The Scarecrow of Oz
The Magic Cloak of Oz [1914] (NEW)
The Patchwork Girl of Oz [1914] (NEW)
The Wizard of Oz [1925 feature]

(Blu-ray will have Discs 1 & 2 and Discs 3 & 4 combined)

Also included are unique premiums:
Collectible and numbered 70th Anniversary Wizard of Oz watch with genuine crystals
Replica of the original film budget
Behind the Curtain, A 52-page, coffee-table book
Reproduction of the original 1939 campaign book

Exclusive to the DVD and Blu-ray Ultimate Collector’s Editions:
Digital Copy on Disc

Exclusive to the Blu-ray Ultimate Collector’s Edtion:
MGM: When The Lion Roars Documentary

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/70 ... added.html
London. Greatest City in the world.

JSWalsh

#2 Post by JSWalsh »

I've never seen this on video, and probably never will. As with Christmas specials and The Ten Commandements, I couldn't imagine watching it without TV commercials.
John

DavidBanner

#3 Post by DavidBanner »

I received the last special edition as a Christmas Present a few years back, and I was stunned at the picture quality then.

The amount of detail I could see instantly revealed the back wall of the stage, and where the set stopped and the painted wall began.

The moment where Dorothy opened the door and the image blended into color, was jaw-dropping. The colors themselves in the Munchkinland sequence were far more intense than I had seen before.

And that's on the standard def copy. I really wonder what the jump will be on the Blu-ray.

JS, I should note that I too grew up watching the movie on television with commercials. But I had an awakening when I got to see the movie in a theater about 20 years ago, and all kinds of things became clear, even in an older, dirty print - things like the joke about the horse of a different colour in the Emerald City, etc. Regardless of whether you want to see the Blu-ray, I think you would really enjoy seeing a quality transfer of this.

John Johnson

#4 Post by John Johnson »

DavidBanner wrote:I received the last special edition as a Christmas Present a few years back, and I was stunned at the picture quality then.

The amount of detail I could see instantly revealed the back wall of the stage, and where the set stopped and the painted wall began.

The moment where Dorothy opened the door and the image blended into color, was jaw-dropping. The colors themselves in the Munchkinland sequence were far more intense than I had seen before.

And that's on the standard def copy. I really wonder what the jump will be on the Blu-ray.

JS, I should note that I too grew up watching the movie on television with commercials. But I had an awakening when I got to see the movie in a theater about 20 years ago, and all kinds of things became clear, even in an older, dirty print - things like the joke about the horse of a different colour in the Emerald City, etc. Regardless of whether you want to see the Blu-ray, I think you would really enjoy seeing a quality transfer of this.
We never had commercials as it was always screened by the BBC at Christmas time.
London. Greatest City in the world.

Eric Paddon

#5 Post by Eric Paddon »

I've had many versions of this title over the years. I remember the big box ultimate edition Laser Disc set that for many years was superior to the early DVD releases IMO. The last four disc DVD set was okay, though I still wish the ENTIRE John Fricke audio commentary from the LD set had been restored instead of in part only.

I even still have the old Criterion LD with the Ron Haver commentary track.

If this new release ports over all old extras from the last LD, and especially all the audio session raw recordings, I'd be willing to give it another go.

DavidBanner

#6 Post by DavidBanner »

The key to that last DVD set was the picture quality.

An even more improved PQ, plus some new extras, appears to be the selling point for the Blu-ray. They mention 5.1 sound, but I don't really think that makes a difference for this film.

Take a look at Andy's summary at the top of this thread and you can see the ingredients to the new package.

Personally, I'm very happy with the last edition, but if the PQ is that much better, they'll have me over a barrel.

JSWalsh

#7 Post by JSWalsh »

I'm glad all of this material is available for the real fans. I definitely LIKE this movie and have a great emotional attachment due to its color and excellence, but I was being sincere about the TV commercials and such--it's almost a post-modern art installation in that sense.

While I think the performances and direction and EVERYTHING are perfect in OZ, I have no--zero--interest in seeing it again. I am not sure why, but I'd be bored, probably because I have the damned thing memorized, and don't NEED to see it again. Also, its cult among adult gay males is kinda perplexing, and has really altered my perception of it. (My favorite character was always the Scarecrow, I found the lion and the tin man annoying, and Dorothy was, well, a girl! :P)
John

Eric Paddon

#8 Post by Eric Paddon »

On the matter of watching something with its original commercials even when it's on DVD, I'm that way with "A Charlie Brown Christmas" because I MUST see the opening "A CBS Special Presentation" intro animation (with music culled from Hawaii Five-O no less!) before it or else the presentation seems naked otherwise (along with a staff announcer telling us the show is "brought to you by" over a still of the animated title while "Christmastime" plays under his announcement).

JSWalsh

#9 Post by JSWalsh »

" I MUST see the opening "A CBS Special Presentation" intro animation (with music culled from Hawaii Five-O no less!)"

Is THAT what that drum-heavy piece with brass is from? Wow, I never knew that.
John

Castile

#10 Post by Castile »

Eric Paddon wrote: ...along with a staff announcer telling us the show is "brought to you by" over a still of the animated title while "Christmastime" plays under his announcement).
If I recall, Charlie Brown specials were brought to us by... Dolly Madison Cakes. (Which, to my displeasure, never seemed to be available in 'My Grocer's Snack Aisle...')

Re: OZ - Still one of my favorite movies. About 10 years ago, Warner did a limited theatrical re-release (in the States, anyway) in conjunction with a new video release. I saw this (along with an audience-ful of Boomers) and the moment when sepia tone went to Three-Strip Technicolor led to a collective "Oooooh!" from all of us. I had probably seen the film 20 times by then, but that moment still carries a dazzling impact.

JSWalsh

#11 Post by JSWalsh »

I've always thought of OZ as one of those movies that shows what the studio system could do when it used all of its resources--and usually in the service of a producer, not a director.

OZ, GONE WITH THE WIND, BEN HUR, PLANET OF THE APES--these are all movies that (to use Kael's comment on Apes) lay on the cash, and they come up with something you just couldn't get outside The System.
John

Eric Paddon

#12 Post by Eric Paddon »

Castile wrote:
Eric Paddon wrote: ...along with a staff announcer telling us the show is "brought to you by" over a still of the animated title while "Christmastime" plays under his announcement).
If I recall, Charlie Brown specials were brought to us by... Dolly Madison Cakes. (Which, to my displeasure, never seemed to be available in 'My Grocer's Snack Aisle...').
Quite true, although on my vintage 1985 recording they were by then sponsored by Peter Paul/Cadbury.

Eric Paddon

#13 Post by Eric Paddon »

JSWalsh wrote:" I MUST see the opening "A CBS Special Presentation" intro animation (with music culled from Hawaii Five-O no less!)"

Is THAT what that drum-heavy piece with brass is from? Wow, I never knew that.
Yeah, more specifically it comes from a cue on a Five-O LP that was released in the 70s. I remember it was on FSM circa 2000 where that story of where the music came from was revealed.