RIP Michael Jackson, Farah Fawcett

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

RIP Michael Jackson, Farah Fawcett

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Two in one day, unbelievable...Fawcett was before my time for the most part, but Jackson...some good memories of watching THRILLER around Halloween at a friend's house growing up. Quite obviously it goes without saying he led a bizarre life, that's for sure, but he was The Man for a long while in pop music and his recording legacy is up there with Elvis and other "icons." Sometime, someone is going to write one long and bizarre account of his life that'll be more than just mere gossip...

Jackson...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obit_michael_jackson

Fawcett...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obit_fawc ... xpZXNhbmdl

Eric W.

#2 Post by Eric W. »

Pretty sad day.

Farrah I view as a tragedy on all levels.

Jackson...a truly amazing talent. His music defined at least one decade and most of my childhool in the 80s. I take nothing away from him for being "the next Elvis" or whatever people want to call him on that front because it's all true.

But that is where any good things I have to say about him come to an end. To be fair, there's a lot of tragedy there, too.

I made a thread in the other area of the forum the other day for Ed McMahon. He passes away earlier this week.

Pretty sad week overall, that's for sure. :(

JSWalsh

#3 Post by JSWalsh »

I don't see Jackson as being up there with the giants, but more of a fad. Elvis, Sinatra and The Beatles either performed and/or wrote songs that live in part because they can be interpreted by other performers--ironically, this preserves their PERFORMANCES because they are the spring from which so many interpretations pour.

Jacksons songs worked due to his performances. They simply aren't the trove of "Great American (or British) Songbook" material that those others interpreted or wrote. They're Michael Jackson songs, and the fact that Jackson died while in disgrace really does have an impact. Young people simply don't have the attachment to Jackson the way they do to those others. I mean, I have seen high school and college kids who think Sinatra, Presley, Lennon, etc. are cool and figures to emulate. I've yet to see one who thought the same of Jackson.

His was a tortured existence, and it bred a twisted person. I think people will want to forget him, and his music will suffer from it.

I know this isn't a popular position, but...the music may well deserve such a fate. When you take his interpretative powers away, you're really not left with much from the songs themselves.
John

JSWalsh

#4 Post by JSWalsh »

Although this isn't political, it comes from a political source, so I won't post it, but it really sums up what I think.

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/? ... gzMzAyZTg=

Michael Jackson doesn't interest me in that I'll never read a book about him, but he is a perfect example of a certain kind of megacelebrity--one who is most famous for having achieved fame and for providing cable news channels and supermarket magazines with stories. That's a sad kind of achievement.
John

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Michael Jackson doesn't interest me in that I'll never read a book about him, but he is a perfect example of a certain kind of megacelebrity--one who is most famous for having achieved fame and for providing cable news channels and supermarket magazines with stories. That's a sad kind of achievement.
I wouldn't agree with all of that. The guy's recording career -- like it or not -- is still an amazing accomplishment that is unparalleled in the recording industry. That does count for something. The weird, other stuff...yeah, it's sad. But the former part will stand the test of time as much as his rep in general.

mkaroly

#6 Post by mkaroly »

The first album I ever purchased with my own money was THRILLER. I wore it out. His music after that album took a serious turn for the worse (IMO), and his life unfortunately became an absolute train wreck. I honestly don't know how I'll remember him; his life has a very tragic side to it along with all the successes. I really hope his family doesn't end up battling over his estate and money, or custody of his kids, etc. I don't understand his worldwide appeal later in his career, but it was shocking that he died at such a relatively young age. My favorite songs of his were The Girl Is Mine (with Paul McCartney) and The Man in the Mirror.

Fawcett...to be honest, I never cared for her acting and I thought her TV special was a bit self-absorbed. I don't mean any of that in a disrespectful way...it's just an opinion. I think Jackson's death is a bit more shocking than Fawcett's, as she died from something that strikes so many people and takes so many lives. For both people this must be very difficult for their families, so my condolances go out to each family. Add McMahon's death to the pot and this has been a very unexpectedly morbid week.

JSWalsh

#7 Post by JSWalsh »

AndyDursin wrote:
I wouldn't agree with all of that. The guy's recording career -- like it or not -- is still an amazing accomplishment that is unparalleled in the recording industry. That does count for something. The weird, other stuff...yeah, it's sad. But the former part will stand the test of time as much as his rep in general.
How can we say that now, though? Take away Thriller--which was as much if not more an achievement of Quincy Jones' amazing production and the performances by the musicians--and you've removed 80% of his impact, to me. Sure, his career is unparalleled, but so is Tiny Tim's.

The dance music of today is more influenced by Madonna and even Janet Jackson than Michael, and after Thriller, what have we got? Quick--name me a dozen songs off the top of your head post-Thriller.

I dislike Madonna's music, but I can quote any number of songs from numerous albums.

Jackson was a huge star for awhile, but spent the majority of his life being a freakish celebrity. I don't see it as tragic as much as some because he chased that celebrity. I think he had all the tools to get himself in better shape, but he was failed by friends and family.

None of that matters, because as I said above, you really have to be around the young to see the difference. Teenagers who can talk Elvis or Sinatra just wave Jackson off as being weird though brilliant, and it really does matter what the young think when talking legacy.
John