Public Enemies

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Public Enemies

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Anyone see it?

After reading the mixed reviews -- lots of criticism of Mann's digital photography (again!), and Bale doing his INTENSE, dour, humorless persona more time -- I'm thinking I'll bypass it.

One of my friends said he wanted to like it more, but didn't. Looks like that's the bottom line from what I've seen. :(

Eric W.

#2 Post by Eric W. »

Since it's Mann it'll be watchable but I'm in no hurry to see this. I'll catch it on home video at some point.

mkaroly

#3 Post by mkaroly »

DVD rental for me.

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

Good movie overall (although no Heat), but Jesus, can someone tell Michael Mann to stop using those HORRIBLE HD video cameras?! Especially on a period movie! :shock: A movie set during the Great Depression shouldn't look like Uncle Ralph's home video hijinks. :evil: If David Fincher could shoot Zodiac and Benjamin Button on HD and yet make them both look like they were shot on film, then a normally-inspired visual technician like Mann should be able to.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:Good movie overall (although no Heat), but Jesus, can someone tell Michael Mann to stop using those HORRIBLE HD video cameras?! Especially on a period movie! :shock: A movie set during the Great Depression shouldn't look like Uncle Ralph's home video hijinks. :evil: If David Fincher could shoot Zodiac and Benjamin Button on HD and yet make them both look like they were shot on film, then a normally-inspired visual technician like Mann should be able to.
One review said the HD video ruined any attention to period detail there might have been. And it's a running theme with his last few films.

Mann is one of these filmmakers whose name certainly commands attention but he's been running cold of late. In particular, you look at his last group of films as a director -- ALI, COLLATERAL, MIAMI VICE, and (seemingly) now this one -- and none of them are all that outstanding....THE INSIDER was 10 years ago at this point (hard to believe). Prior to that I was a big fan, as were a lot of folks, of LAST OF THE MOHICANS, MANHUNTER and HEAT, but folks forget he was also the guy behind THE KEEP (awful).

I'll be seeing the film likely this week, but my expectations have been dailed down. I really hope he's not another guy whose best work is behind him, but to be fair, the films he's made in the last 10 years can't nearly measure up to his work prior to that, in any regard.

Eric W.

#6 Post by Eric W. »

Mann peaked with Heat and it's been downhill ever since.

The Pessimist

#7 Post by The Pessimist »

Looks like it's close to making $100 million stateside. Any idea on how much it cost to make? I'm kinda cheering for it to do all right at the BO cause Hollywood without Johnny Depp is not worth paying attention to even more than I'm already not paying attention to it. Just my two cents.
'Sorry about that one.' -Ed Wood

Monterey Jack

#8 Post by Monterey Jack »

One flop/disappointment is not going to kill Johnny Depp's career. Hell, the man didn't have a single $100+ million grossing blockbuster until Sleepy Hollow a decade ago. :shock: