TRON: LEGACY Update From Comic Con

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

TRON: LEGACY Update From Comic Con

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Well at least that's a better title!

TRON: LEGACY is the new title of the TRON sequel from Joseph Kosinski. Good – better that TR2N by far. Principal photography has just finished, and we are shown concept images. “The world of TRON has sat on a server for 20 years, evolving on its own, like the Galapagos Islands.” Based on these pics it appears to be evolving into Blade Runner, albeit in a TRON style. They used the Phantom camera, which can shoot 1000 frames per second. There will be flashbacks to the late ‘80s, including Flynn’s vintage light-cycle. Steve Lisberger, creator of the original: “It came true. We didn’t go to space, there hasn’t been an apocalypse, we weren’t invaded by aliens. But we just scanned Jeff Bridges with a laser and put him in the game grid!”

We see a 2-D scene, setting up the story, which plays a bit like horror. Garrett Hedlund, as the son of Flynn (Bridges), is told that a call was received from his Dad’s arcade, from a long-disconnected number. He goes to the now decaying place, turns everything on. Jukebox is playing the same tunes (big laugh from the fans at this). He finds the “Tron” game, puts a coin in, but it falls back out. Then moves the game aside to reveal a secret door. He goes inside. And it seals behind him.

"Three or four things in this movie have never been done before,” Bridges says. Of the role, “You’d think you forget these things, but you fall right back into them.”

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/f ... on-legacy/

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

More concept images -- have to admit I'm getting "my geek on" for this one :)

Paul MacLean

#3 Post by Paul MacLean »

So, is Wendy Carlos doing the score?

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

"Homer, what's it like in there?"

"Uh...ever see that movie 'Tron'?"

"No."

"No."

"No."

"No"

"No."

"No."

"No."

"Yes." [laughs] "Ah, I mean no."

The Pessimist

#5 Post by The Pessimist »

Minus the visuals, what's your impressions of the original? (It's nice to see Hollywood is attempting a re-do that might actually turn out better than the original.)
'Sorry about that one.' -Ed Wood

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

I wasn't crazy about TRON the movie as a kid (loved the video games though!) -- but it's one of those films that's grown on me over the years since. No classic, but an intriguing movie that was in many ways (visually speaking in particular) ahead of its time.

The story is more interesting conceptually than it comes off in the finished film, with some ideas that weren't explored as much as they should have been, but I find it entertaining on repeat viewing, all things considered. This is one sequel that will be interesting to watch IMO -- at least optimistically speaking :)

mkaroly

#7 Post by mkaroly »

I still haven't seen TRON to this day....I had heard bad things about it and I just never got up the muster to sit through it. I did, like Andy, love the video game!

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

mkaroly wrote:I still haven't seen TRON to this day....I had heard bad things about it and I just never got up the muster to sit through it. I did, like Andy, love the video game!
It's worth the view Michael. You might be pleasantly surprised, in spite of its shortcomings.