THE RED TENT on DVD

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

THE RED TENT on DVD

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Interesting film which I caught last night for the first time. Paramount's new DVD has a very nice 5.1 remixed soundtrack benefiting Morricone's lovely score, though the transfer is a bit grainy. I assume, though, since this was an international (Russian) co-production, that it's as good as we can hope for...and the movie hasn't been seen a whole lot over the years.

Is there any international DVD that has the 195 minute Russian version? I'm guessing the 121-minute international cut has all of Connery and Finch's footage, and is probably padded out with the Russian cast.

Carlson2005

#2 Post by Carlson2005 »

Like Waterloo, there's some doubt as to whether there actually was a longer Russian version despite listings in some reference books - there's often a confusion between rough cuts and release versions. It'll be interesting to see what ratio the disc is in: although a 70mm film, the Paramount version appears to have been cropped for its theatrical release for some reason.

It's certainly an interesting film, although parts of the set-up are awkward, to put it mildly. Nice Morricone score.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

The Paramount DVD is 1.85. Certainly doesn't look like an anamorphic film.

Trevor you're right -- what WAS the deal with that set-up? Flashbacks, narration, ghosts, Claudia Cardinale...talk about odd.

Once the movie gets in rhythm it's interesting enough. Morricone's score is a real keeper as well! No extras but since the DVD can be had for about $10 it's a quality presentation and decent pick-up.

I think you're onto something as well in regards to the supposed "long" versions of both RED TENT and WATERLOO. With THE RED TENT, it's particularly difficult to fathom the movie running over 3 hours -- what is there to show except the guys freezing to death?

The bigger fact is that neither 3-hour version has ever surfaced, anywhere, and there don't seem to be any viewers claiming to have seen them on the net...you'd think after all these years there would be SOME evidence, out of the reference books, that longer released cuts were in existence.