WESTWORLD Remake Back on Track -- with a Director!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

WESTWORLD Remake Back on Track -- with a Director!

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

This has been on the docket for a while -- years ago Arnold was attached to it at one point.

The promising news is that Tarsem Singh, who directed THE CELL, is signed to helm the remake according to Variety.

Though I felt portions of THE CELL were excessive, it certainly was one of the most striking visual films I've seen in years. I'd be interested in seeing him handle a film like WESTWORLD and develop it beyond its rather one dimensional original.

mkaroly

Re: WESTWORLD Remake Back on Track -- with a Director!

#2 Post by mkaroly »

AndyDursin wrote:Though I felt portions of THE CELL were excessive, it certainly was one of the most striking visual films I've seen in years. I'd be interested in seeing him handle a film like WESTWORLD and develop it beyond its rather one dimensional original.
I would agree with that. THE CELL was visually striking- the score by Howard Shore is an interesting listen (to say the least) on CD- it's just really bizzare. Take his NAKED LUNCH score with Ornette Coleman and multiply it by 10 and you get THE CELL.

The problem with THE CELL was J. LO (who can't act or sing in my opinion) and I thought it was just a rehash of SE7EN with more colorful visuals. Who's attached to it now as the lead?

Eric W.

#3 Post by Eric W. »

Wow. Another remake. Be still my heart. :roll:

To give credit where it's due, I'll admit to being somewhat intruiged about this project given who's behind the camera.

J-Lo notwithstanding, The Cell is a movie everyone should see one time just because it's different and you have to admire what they tried to do with it. If they'd had a real actress in that thing, I think it would have made a night and day difference.

See Sofia Copploa in Godfather III for a further lesson on how important even ONE poorly miscast person can be towards derailing a project. ;) (This has to be a Hall of Fame entrant near the top, though.)

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

J-Lo notwithstanding, The Cell is a movie everyone should see one time just because it's different and you have to admire what they tried to do with it. If they'd had a real actress in that thing, I think it would have made a night and day difference.

See Sofia Copploa in Godfather III for a further lesson on how important even ONE poorly miscast person can be towards derailing a project. Wink (This has to be a Hall of Fame entrant near the top, though.)
Actually, I didn't mind her in THE CELL...I thought she was fine. The only things that bothered me in THE CELL were the graphic, gratutious sequences where D'Onofrio put the hooks in his back, and later gouged out that guy's stomach in the "dream" world (was it Vince Vaughn?). I realize they were intended TO disturb, but frankly I could have lived without seeing some of that stuff.

This sounds crazy, but Sofia Coppola didn't wreck GODFATHER III either for me (realize I'm in the minority on that front). Granted she's no great actress but I thought her naive, innocent qualities projected fairly well in the movie. I realize why she left her acting career, but I've always felt how people single-handedly grilled her performance was completely unfair -- the movie had other issues that many seemed to conveniently gloss over, and instead of pointing them out, they simply blamed her for everything.

Eric W.

#5 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:

See Sofia Copploa in Godfather III for a further lesson on how important even ONE poorly miscast person can be towards derailing a project. Wink (This has to be a Hall of Fame entrant near the top, though.)
Actually, I didn't mind her in THE CELL...I thought she was fine. The only things that bothered me in THE CELL were the graphic, gratutious sequences where D'Onofrio put the hooks in his back, and later gouged out that guy's stomach in the "dream" world (was it Vince Vaughn?). I realize they were intended TO disturb, but frankly I could have lived without seeing some of that stuff.
Definitely agree on this. It's like they said: "Hey! Let's see how f'ed up we can make THIS scene! :twisted: "

This sounds crazy, but Sofia Coppola didn't wreck GODFATHER III either for me (realize I'm in the minority on that front). Granted she's no great actress but I thought her naive, innocent qualities projected fairly well in the movie. I realize why she left her acting career, but I've always felt how people single-handedly grilled her performance was completely unfair -- the movie had other issues that many seemed to conveniently gloss over, and instead of pointing them out, they simply blamed her for everything.

I...I don't know you anymore! :shock: :P

I agree with you that the film had other flaws, but man...she was a HUGE flaw in a sea of flaws in that film.