RED EYE -- Summer's Sleeper Hit?

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

RED EYE -- Summer's Sleeper Hit?

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Well here's a switch: a movie I'm actually looking forward to seeing :)

Reviews are almost unanimously glowing for this one...and I have to confess I've been a Rachel McAdams fan ever since her role in the not-that-bad Rob Schneider comedy THE HOT CHICK.

Some are calling it Wes Craven's best film, but most seemed to be highly entertained by this "unpretentious B-thriller."

At any rate I have to attend Catholic pre-marriage prep tonight and tomorrow (somethings you just have to do!), so I won't get out to see it until early next week...but if anyone else does, by all means check in and let us know what you think.

Monterey Jack

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

I took in a matinee this afternoon. It's easily Craven's best work since the first Scream. Fine performances by Cillian Murphy (just as unsettlingly vacant as he was in Batman Begins) and the absolutely beautiful Rachel McAdams (looks like I've found my latest celeb crush :P), tight, fat-free pacing (85 minutes including five or six minutes of end credits!), clever suspense situations and a lush, propulsive Marco Beltrami score (that you can actually hear through the sound design for a change). Considering how stinky most August releases are, this is a very pleasant surprise (and it would make an interesting double bill with last fall's similarly Hitchcockian Cellular). Highly recommended! :D

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Jack, just what I wanted to hear. I was on Rachel's bandwagon early on -- though to be honest, once she ditched the patented "blonde barbie" look, only then did I REALLY see her career taking off. And it is!! :)

Will definitely check in with RED EYE this coming week...

romanD

#4 Post by romanD »

yes, Rachel McAdams is really cute. A fresh face for a change. The trailer itself sold her really well and through celver marketing you thought it is a nice romantic comedy. Well done.

Im really looking forward to seeing this one. Hopefully it makes some money, so we see her again!

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

yes, Rachel McAdams is really cute. A fresh face for a change. The trailer itself sold her really well and through celver marketing you thought it is a nice romantic comedy. Well done.
Between the success of WEDDING CRASHERS, not to mention THE NOTEBOOK (and to a lesser extent MEAN GIRLS), I'm sure we'll be seeing her QUITE a bit!

The bigger issue is that they should have cast her, and NOT Jessica Alba (a pretty face, not a great actress), in FANTASTIC FOUR. McAdams has good looks but has already shown the ability to play a variety of DIFFERENT parts, both good girls and snotty bad ones...to me she's the most promising young actress to come down the road in a long, long while.

Carlson2005

#6 Post by Carlson2005 »

The bigger issue is that they should have cast her, and NOT Jessica Alba (a pretty face, not a great actress), in FANTASTIC FOUR.

You may yet get your wish. Word has it that Alba doesn't want to do FF2.

Now, if only we could get Hit'n'Run Halle out of the X-Men...

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Now, if only we could get Hit'n'Run Halle out of the X-Men...
lol. Though in her defense, the character actually DID have a major part in the comics. Through two movies, Storm has done absolutely nothing....on the other hand, wasn't the fact that she was SO BAD in the original X-MEN one reason they either cut her out or simply gave her zip to do?