Paramount OCTOBER DVD Release Slate

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

#16 Post by AndyDursin »

romanD wrote:at least it is the only STAR TREK movie which has its own style... you can immediately tell it is NEMESIS with all the darkness and green... I liked that a lot....
And the green is one of the reasons I didn't like it! :)
what's up with the supposed next film... is that still on? Wonder who will score that. Maybe Tyler, as he has a good relationship with Sherry Lansing and di already a couple episodes of ENTERPRISE. I know John Ottman would die to do it, but he said, he has never done anything for Paramount, so he won't have a chance.
STAR TREK requires a theme. That immediately disqualifies John Ottman. :wink:

romanD

#17 Post by romanD »

Fantastic Four had a couple of great themes... and the Waxing theme of HOUSE OF WAX is still banging in my head... but I know what you mean.. x2 rarely had any theme, just at the beginning and the end...

but Im sure we all got pretty tired of Jerry's same old themes for the series, didn't we?

AndyDursin

#18 Post by AndyDursin »

romanD wrote:Fantastic Four had a couple of great themes... and the Waxing theme of HOUSE OF WAX is still banging in my head... but I know what you mean.. x2 rarely had any theme, just at the beginning and the end...

but Im sure we all got pretty tired of Jerry's same old themes for the series, didn't we?
Actually, I don't. That to me IS "Start Trek."

The sad part is that, if you were to compose new themes, I really have no faith whatsoever in ANY young composer to get the job done :cry:

Carlson2005

#19 Post by Carlson2005 »

Sherry Lansing's out at Paramount, so if anything any relationship with her would guarantee not getting the job, although I think Tyler would make an excellent choice for a totally unnecessary movie.

Incidentally, Paramount's R2 release of Sahara includes absolutely no extras whatsoever - unless you count scene selection!

romanD

#20 Post by romanD »

Eidelman's Theme worked quite fine for me... Rosenman however was horrible, Horner was great...

NEMESIS score was a bit nicer as Jerry used some from Part 1 again, but on the other scores he just went through autopilot (well, on Nemesis' actionparts he did, too).

Tyler might be fine for ST11, if it ever happens. Maybe they give Jay Chattaway or Dennis McCarthy a chance (whose score for PArt 7 isn't bad either, though there is a rumor that he didn't write large parts of it himself).

AndyDursin

#21 Post by AndyDursin »

romanD wrote:Eidelman's Theme worked quite fine for me... Rosenman however was horrible, Horner was great...

NEMESIS score was a bit nicer as Jerry used some from Part 1 again, but on the other scores he just went through autopilot (well, on Nemesis' actionparts he did, too).

Tyler might be fine for ST11, if it ever happens. Maybe they give Jay Chattaway or Dennis McCarthy a chance (whose score for PArt 7 isn't bad either, though there is a rumor that he didn't write large parts of it himself).
Goldsmith on auto pilot on TMP?? On TREK V?? Sorry Roman those are two FABULOUS scores!

The Next Gen scores of his -- I agree portions of them are on autopilot. Joel's music in FIRST CONTACT is totally routine and NEMESIS is sadly the weakest of his Trek works. Very disappointing, but then again, the movie didn't give him a whole lot to work with.

Some other Trek thoughts:

Rosenman's IV score was absolutely perfect for THAT FILM. Horner's beautiful but dense music wouldn't have worked in that installment, and Goldsmith has never played comedy particularly well, IMO.

As time has worn on, I've really soured on Eidelman's VI score. It's just too dark, too heavy, and frankly forgettable. Kind of like the movie, it was efficient but not inspired.

I think McCarthy's GENERATIONS score was one of the highlights of that movie, and was quite underrated. The movie itself -- what a disaster. Nice moments but the entire Kirk angle was a joke!

To kill off the captain of the Enterprise the way they did was inexplicable and in some ways began the whole downward spiral of the franchise altogether.

I agree with Trevor -- their concept for the film just doesn't sound too appealing to me (and which concept is it -- the inter-series cast reunion or the "early days"?). Better to take a hiatus and then later come back with something fresh.

Carlson2005

#22 Post by Carlson2005 »

AndyDursin wrote:Trevor -- is there a stereo track on WAR OF THE WORLDS?

That laserdisc remix was fantastic...I hope they do something along those lines for the new DVD.
Sorry, Andy - missed this post first time round. The new DVD will have two soundtracks: the original mono and a 2.0 surround mix.