MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL -- New DVD Will Be Cut? :(

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL -- New DVD Will Be Cut? :(

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

I've been reading a thread over at the Home Theater Forum. Apparently Disney's long-awaited remastered DVD of THE MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL is going to be its CUT 85-minute version, which omits "When Love is Gone."

This actually would be a first as every U.S. video version of the movie (the LD, the VHS, even the pan-and-scan DVD) has the song restored to it.

I interviewed Miles Goodman (who supervised the score and songs) years ago and he had said, as someone pointed out in that thread, that the song was cut ONLY because Disney wanted it gone. The director, Brian Henson, was so irritated by its removal that he insisted it was restored to the video version.

This is a MAJOR disappointment. Shockingly, most of the Home Theater Forum members have no problem with it provided the movie is in 16:9 widescreen (which is typical, as some of them defended Warner Home Video's 16:9 masters of U.S. TV mini-series like THE BOURNE IDENTITY and V: THE FINAL BATTLE).

I'll try and get ahold of my Disney peeps and see if we can't get this corrected before it's too late.

Eric W.

#2 Post by Eric W. »

Ridiculous.

There should never be a such thing as "edited and cut" on DVD or any subsequent technologies.

andy b

#3 Post by andy b »

No doubt cut so Disney can put out an 'Anniversary Restored Version' to fleece the DVD buyers yet again!

I for 1 am really tired of this stuff being put out & then restored or added this or that.

I'm not a great 1 for 'extras' in fact I often don't watch them at all, but I do like the film to be in the best possible version & restored to the orginal cut or even give the choice of theatrical & 'directors cut' in the same pack.

The Abyss is 1 of my favourites for this, both versions & when I get the time a whole stack of extras to plough through.

This is just a simple case of a studio cashing in to make more money when it suites them.

andy b

Eric W.

#4 Post by Eric W. »

andy b wrote:No doubt cut so Disney can put out an 'Anniversary Restored Version' to fleece the DVD buyers yet again!

I for 1 am really tired of this stuff being put out & then restored or added this or that.

I'm not a great 1 for 'extras' in fact I often don't watch them at all, but I do like the film to be in the best possible version & restored to the orginal cut or even give the choice of theatrical & 'directors cut' in the same pack.

The Abyss is 1 of my favourites for this, both versions & when I get the time a whole stack of extras to plough through.

This is just a simple case of a studio cashing in to make more money when it suites them.

andy b
You got it!