Opening Today in the UK...37 Years Ago

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Opening Today in the UK...37 Years Ago

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Paul MacLean

Re: Opening Today in the UK...37 Years Ago

#2 Post by Paul MacLean »

I remember being so frustrated Legend was opening in the UK but had not yet appeared in the US.

It was supposed to be a June 1985 release, then it got pushed back to September. Then suddenly it was playing in Britain!

I'll never forget the day I came across the issue of Cinefantastique in early 1986 whose cover story was Legend. I eagerly pulled it off the rack to see when the film was actually going to be released, and if there was any coverage of Goldsmith's score.

And indeed there was -- "Jerry Goldsmith's orchestral score has been dumped in favor of a more commercial soundtrack".

John Johnson

#3 Post by John Johnson »

Paul MacLean wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:45 am I remember being so frustrated Legend was opening in the UK but had not yet appeared in the US.

It was supposed to be a June 1985 release, then it got pushed back to September. Then suddenly it was playing in Britain!

I'll never forget the day I came across the issue of Cinefantastique in early 1986 whose cover story was Legend. I eagerly pulled it off the rack to see when the film was actually going to be released, and if there was any coverage of Goldsmith's score.

And indeed there was -- "Jerry Goldsmith's orchestral score has been dumped in favor of a more commercial soundtrack".

I remember visiting the Filmtrax label back in the day, to pick up a consignment of LPs and tapes to take back to the label I worked for. it was a steady seller into the London stores.
London. Greatest City in the world.

Paul MacLean

#4 Post by Paul MacLean »

John Johnson wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:11 am I remember visiting the Filmtrax label back in the day, to pick up a consignment of LPs and tapes to take back to the label I worked for. it was a steady seller into the London stores.
John, do you have any idea how a Jerry Goldsmith score for a major 20th Century Fox release wound-up in the hands of a neophyte label like Filmtrax? :?

John Johnson

#5 Post by John Johnson »

Paul MacLean wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:57 am
John Johnson wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:11 am I remember visiting the Filmtrax label back in the day, to pick up a consignment of LPs and tapes to take back to the label I worked for. it was a steady seller into the London stores.
John, do you have any idea how a Jerry Goldsmith score for a major 20th Century Fox release wound-up in the hands of a neophyte label like Filmtrax? :?
No Idea, it was all such a long time ago. I don't remember too much of my time at the label. I do remember a copy of the Krull soundtrack was sent to Ron Howard and Lucasfilm, hoping to secure the rights to Willow, but when Virgin turned up, they blew them out of the water.
London. Greatest City in the world.

Paul MacLean

#6 Post by Paul MacLean »

John Johnson wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:50 pmI do remember a copy of the Krull soundtrack was sent to Ron Howard and Lucasfilm, hoping to secure the rights to Willow, but when Virgin turned up, they blew them out of the water.
Virgin seemed to think they'd discovered some untapped goldmine after The Mission album sold millions of copies. I'm sure they were disappointed (to say the least) when Rampage and A Time of Destiny didn't sell as many units! :lol:

Record labels never seemed to figure out it was the movie -- not the composer -- that prompted 90% of people to buy a soundtrack. (Sad, but true.)