76 King Kong DVD Reissue

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Eric Paddon

76 King Kong DVD Reissue

#1 Post by Eric Paddon »

I've noticed that Paramount now plans to cash in on the Jackson Kong craze by reissuing the 76 film on DVD (which was first released in 1999, it's first ever widescreen issue as it never had one on Laserdisc) with totally new cover art (I think they're squeamish about using the original poster with the World Trade Center) for a November release. Anyone know if they plan on putting some supplementary material on it? I sure wouldn't mind seeing the NBC TV footage included as supplements. I could see Bridges and/or Grodin doing a commentary as well (though I would be surprised as hell if they ever got Lange to revisit this film)

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

I believe it's a straight re-issue, sadly.

Eric Paddon

#3 Post by Eric Paddon »

I was never even aware that the first DVD release had gone OOP so why they would bother to do it the same way again with an inferior cover is beyond me.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric Paddon wrote:I was never even aware that the first DVD release had gone OOP so why they would bother to do it the same way again with an inferior cover is beyond me.
Actually this one's really odd, Eric, because the first DVD release ISN'T oop!

I haven't seen Paramount's November PR slate yet, so hopefully, it'll have something extra on there. Otherwise, the main reason for this is easy: PETER JACKSON'S KING KONG. We're going to be seeing anything Kong related re-issued, repackaged, etc. to coincide with the movie's release.

The only other thing I can think of is that they were looking for a reason to get rid of the World Trade Center original poster artwork, and this was a convenient way to do so. :?: