BLADE RUNNER 2049 - Official Thread

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Paul MacLean

Re: BLADE RUNNER 2049 - October 6th - Teaser!

#46 Post by Paul MacLean »

I also find it weird that that opening seconds of this preview are a "preview of the preview".

Is this a new trend? :?

Monterey Jack

#47 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean wrote:I also find it weird that that opening seconds of this preview are a "preview of the preview".

Is this a new trend? :?
Because, God forbid, someone should waste more than five seconds on a movie trailer... :roll:

mkaroly

#48 Post by mkaroly »

I will probably go and see the film if for nothing else than to satisfy my curiosity...I don't plan on reading reviews of it beforehand (just as I am on an ALIEN:COVENANT review blackout).

AndyDursin

#49 Post by AndyDursin »

HE IS DECKARD'S SON

#crazyinternetheory

AndyDursin

#50 Post by AndyDursin »

As a side note, if you have either the Blu-Ray Collector's Box or the Digibook Anniversary release (even better), now's the time to sell. Everything is out of print and going for solid coin right now in the secondary market. Do it before it gets reissued, which you'd imagine it will be by October when 2049 is released.

AndyDursin

#51 Post by AndyDursin »

Lol at the Vangelis "remix" in the trailer which I'm now sitting through for the 59th time.

"Listen it's the old movie music you know....BUT ITS DIFFERENT!!"

Paul MacLean

#53 Post by Paul MacLean »

Looks interesting -- I'll definitely go to see it.

But I can't say it looks particularly groundbreaking the way the original was.

No one had ever seen anything like Blade Runner in 1982 (in fact it was so different that many people who would later champion the film were initially ambivalent to it -- and some were even turned-off by it). But this new movie -- while visually striking -- isn't particularly distinctive by today's standards (in fact it looks a lot like Tron Legacy to me).

The author of that article also refers to the new film's "killer soundtrack" -- but is the actual score even finished yet? The music in the promo piece might just be temp / library music (and if it is the actual score from the film, it's certainly nowhere near as striking as Vangelis' original).

AndyDursin

#54 Post by AndyDursin »

I'd have rather had Daft Punk scoring this movie than the guy who works on most of Villeneuve's movies. Vangelis is just a no-go at this point, sad to say.

AndyDursin

#55 Post by AndyDursin »

A new trailer, which looks less like BLADE RUNNER itself:

Paul MacLean

Re: BLADE RUNNER 2049 - October 6th - New Trailer

#56 Post by Paul MacLean »

Oh boy!

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2017/07/29 ... ns-zimmer/

‘Blade Runner 2049’ to Feature Music by Hans Zimmer
Posted: July 29, 2017 by filmmusicreporter in Film Scoring Assignments

Hans Zimmer is currently scoring Denis Villeneuve’s Blade Runner 2049. While we first heard of the composer’s involvement in the project back in May, Villeneuve clarified in a recent interview with Studio Cine Live that he is collaborating with Benjamin Wallfisch on the score and the theme written for the movie by the film’s original composer Johann Johannsson who is still involved in the project will be used in the score. The sci-fi thriller starring Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford, Ana de Armas, Sylvia Hoeks, Robin Wright, Mackenzie Davis, Carla Juri, Lennie James, Dave Bautista and Jared Leto takes place thirty years after the events of the first film and follows a new blade runner who unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what’s left of society into chaos. Hampton Fancher and Michael Green (Green Lantern) have written the screenplay. Ridley Scott who directed the 1982 original film (scored by Vangelis) is producing the project with Broderick Johnson, Andrew A. Kosove (The Blind Side, Insomnia). Blade Runner 2049 will be released on October 6, 2017 by Warner Bros. Pictures. Visit the official movie website for updates.

AndyDursin

#57 Post by AndyDursin »

Awesome news indeed. Lol!

Thankfully Johansson's theme will be used
;)

AndyDursin

#58 Post by AndyDursin »

Found this quote from Villeneuve interesting -- and gives me hope for this film -- mainly because he seems to understand what the original appeal of BLADE RUNNER was, before Ridley Scott "retconned" ambiguity into something very explicit in so far as Deckard's "identity" in Scott's "Director's Cut" and "Final Cut".

Either way, I agree with Harrison Ford. The movie is stronger in its original version -- and that's also how Ford played it, which is likely why he still doesn't like Scott's "revisions"!
I was raised with the first [movie], and then later on, I discovered what was the original dream of Ridley. So I really loved his version, too. The key to making this [new] movie was to be in between. Because the first movie was a story of a human being falling in love with a designed human being -- an artificial human being. And the story of the second movie is a replicant that doesn't know he's a replicant, who slowly discovers his own identity. So, those are two different stories. I felt that the key to deal with that was in the novel of Philip K. Dick. Which was that, in the novel, that characters are doubting themselves. They are not sure if they are replicants or not. From time to time, the detectives are having to go and perform [tests] on themselves to make sure they are really humans. I love that.

So I decided that the movie... Deckard, in the movie, is unsure, as we are, of what his identity is. Because I love that. I love mystery. That's an interesting thing to me. I really love that. Again, Harrison and Ridley are still arguing about that. If you put them in the same room, they don't agree. And they start to talk very loud when they do. It's very funny.
http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1689259 ... ade-runner

Eric Paddon

Re: BLADE RUNNER 2049 - Scott & Ford Still Don't Agree Over "That"

#59 Post by Eric Paddon »

I may be one of the few people in this world who's never seen ANY cut of this film!

mkaroly

Re: BLADE RUNNER 2049 - Scott & Ford Still Don't Agree Over "That"

#60 Post by mkaroly »

Eric Paddon wrote:I may be one of the few people in this world who's never seen ANY cut of this film!
You are missing out IMO. 8)