BLADE RUNNER 2049 - Official Thread

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: BLADE RUNNER 2 - Ryan Gosling (BOOO) to Star

#31 Post by AndyDursin »

I don't agree. I've liked him in a few things but he projects about one pouty emotion that's certain to be all he'll do in something like this. No thanks.

Monterey Jack

#32 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:I don't agree. I've liked him in a few things but he projects about one pouty emotion that's certain to be all he'll do in something like this. No thanks.
Like Ford's robotic, emotionless performance in the original is any better?

AndyDursin

#33 Post by AndyDursin »

I get that but Ford is capable of more. I've seen Gosling and his "pretty boy" dour persona in pretty much everything he's been in. He'll hit the same beats he always does. I dunno, maybe he'll surprise, but I feel like I've seen everything he's had to offer years ago.

Can't fault him for doing this movie though -- he's been trying to get into a sci-fi/fantasy film for years (LOGAN'S RUN or whatever), and this most recent vanity project he helmed is apparently direct-to-video junk. Only has two legit hits in his career and nothing in the last four years; overpraised art-house stuff like DRIVE and PLACE BEYOND THE PINES (which I did like) were modest hits at best given the critical hype. So he's clearly looking for something "commercial".

This teaming reeks of this to me...

DavidBanner

#34 Post by DavidBanner »

I think it's pretty clear that the new movie will be a Ryan Gosling film, with a quick cameo by Ford to tie it to the original. I expect it to be similar to Prometheus in trying to evoke the same world, albeit with a young new cast and a reinvention of many of the themes and memes from Ridley Scott's work.

I frankly don't have much interest in seeing it. I don't think the original left much room for another chapter - it was its own story and it had an ending. If someone was going to follow up on it, I can't imagine why they wanted to wait 35 years to do so. The last time I saw something like that was The Color of Money and that didn't end well. Maybe the best thing to do would be to retool the Gosling movie to be what it really is - a NEW sci-fi movie with a similar theme - and then see if anyone wants to see it. That would at least be more honest than trying to get money out of viewers who have enjoyed a 1982 movie for years on home video.

Regarding Gosling, I liked his work in Drive, which was a decent movie. Not the classic everyone claimed it to be, but still a good movie. Albert Brooks is particularly good in it, as is Ron Perlman. As for the Schenectady movie, that was a bit of a wipeout, and it was misleading for the filmmakers who inflicted it to sell as a Gosling movie. It wasn't. If anything, it was more of a Bradley Cooper movie, and the final third of it was a baffling misfire. I recall being less than impressed with all the indie movie clichés and the long moments of Eva Mendes and Gosling smoking cigarettes outside at night. It's never a good sign when the best scenes of your movie come from a great throwaway performance by Bruce Greenwood and a moment where Ray Liotta missed his mark when standing outside Cooper's car window. I saw that movie's serious problems symbolized in the director's lunkheaded decision to put a camera operator inside the motorcycle sphere at the beginning of the film. The shot is not in the movie, of course, since it never worked and only resulted in the motorcycles falling on the camera operator, who had to be taken to the hospital. Like I said, emblematic of a series of bad decisions on the film.

AndyDursin

#35 Post by AndyDursin »

Scott on why he's not directing -- sounds like it's because he's set up at Fox and the BLADE RUNNER sequel ended up with Alcon.
DEADLINE: Why didn’t you direct the sequel?

SCOTT: Alcon bought the title, and asked if I had any ideas. I did. So fundamentally it’s my essay about what happens and what the film is about. I was going to get writers, but decided to call up my old buddy Hampton Fancher because he walks the walk and talks the talk, albeit in these awful sandals. We came up with a nice tight target. He said he wouldn’t write the screenplay, but wrote a short novel. This was one of the writers I had the best experience with, on the original Blade Runner, meeting him every day, polishing the script. We’d solve one problem and there would be another. It drove him crazy but what happened is that what started off as a small contained play inside an apartment, and into an epic. The new one, we’ve got a very good director in Denis Villenueve. He has taken my script, from Hampton and Michael Green, and that’s what he’ll make. I can’t direct them all, and I have to do Prometheus.

AndyDursin

#36 Post by AndyDursin »

Release date bumped up to October (2017), so we'll have ALIEN and BLADE RUNNER sequels in theaters at the same time.

Everything old is....lol

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/blade ... 201757777/

Monterey Jack

Re: BLADE RUNNER 2 - Release Date Bumped Up

#37 Post by Monterey Jack »

An October release date indicates a lot more confidence in that film than a January one.

AndyDursin

#38 Post by AndyDursin »

It does, though I still think the prospects for this film being a big commercial hit are murky at best.

You could argue the fact they slotted it for a January release in the first place, though, probably was evidence of that on their end.

AndyDursin

#39 Post by AndyDursin »

"I am the Replicant now!!!!"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... had-906990
Barkhad Abdi, who earned an Academy Award nomination for his screen debut in 2013’s Captain Phillips, is the latest actor to join Alcon Entertainment’s Blade Runner sequel, whose cast includes headliners Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford and Robin Wright.

Denis Villeneuve is directing the follow-up, set several decades after the 1983 original, with filming scheduled to begin next month. The pic was written by Hampton Fancher and Michael Green, and succeeds the initial story by Fancher and David Peoples based on Philip K. Dick’s novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

Icon co-founders and co-CEOs Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove are producing, with Thunderbird Films CEOs Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble serving as executive producers. Ridley Scott and Bill Carraro also will executive produce.

The film will be released by Warner Bros. in North America, and Sony Pictures Releasing International will distribute in all media for all overseas territories.

Paul MacLean

#40 Post by Paul MacLean »

It looks like it's official -- Vangelis is NOT scoring the film. Instead the music will be provided by Jóhann Jóhannsson...

http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/cultu ... for_blade/

The one and only thing that would have interested me about this sequel would have been a new score by Vangelis.

Oh well. At least there's this to look forward to...

http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/2016/07/29 ... a-mission/

AndyDursin

#41 Post by AndyDursin »

Ok ok, I'll be there...

Paul MacLean

Re: BLADE RUNNER 2049 - October 6th - Teaser!

#42 Post by Paul MacLean »

Looks intriguing, but I'm astonished how bland it looks compared to the original film. Deakins' photography is great, but the art direction is pretty dull (that room looks like the set from The Odd Couple!).

AndyDursin

#43 Post by AndyDursin »

I keep forgetting that Hampton Fancher wrote this, too, so there's more continuity at play here than it might first appear. And Denis Villeneuve, coming off SICARIO and ARRIVAL, is a hot director with his own style -- one of the best making studio fare today.

Agreed on the visuals. We'll see how they work, though Villeneuve said he's making the film his way and is not necessarily matching it up with the original (or words to that effect), so it may have its own style.

On the surface, though, count me in...the teaser looks more compelling than I anticipated. I just hope the movie isn't another re-quel which is essentially a remake in the guise of a sequel a la FORCE AWAKENS (instead of Deckard we have Gosling's character going after another round of replicants, etc.).

Paul MacLean

#44 Post by Paul MacLean »

New trailer is up...

Eh...looks like Villeneuve is trying to balance what is visually trendy with trying to stay "true" to the spirit of the original.

I didn't like Arrival, so my hopes are not high.
Last edited by Paul MacLean on Mon May 29, 2017 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndyDursin

#45 Post by AndyDursin »

Ooooooh, IS HE A REPLICANT?? NO WAY. :D

The more I see of this, the more I feel this is a sequel to a movie that doesn't need one. It ends, it exists in its own place, it doesn't need "answers".

I also disliked ARRIVAL, though at least Villeneuve isn't JJ Abrams. Or Rian Johnson. Or Gareth Edwards.
lol

Guess we'll go see it anyway Paul! I'll gladly pay to watch Gosling do his pouty one-note performance again. :wink: