Twilight Time Says Goodbye; $4-$11 Price Reductions

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: Twilight Time - LOST HORIZON, BLUE LAGOON in Dec.

#16 Post by AndyDursin »

Jedbu wrote:1776 I can understand (although if it is not EXACTLY the version E. Paddon likes, hoo-boy!) or A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS, but for the life of me I cannot understand how anyone can watch that Ross Hunter debacle without taking massive quantities of drugs accompanied by gallons of tequila and throwing rocks at the screen during the songs "Question Me an Answer (WTF???!!!)" and that godawful fertility dance... :oops:
I think some people like it because it is so bad! ;)

Jedbu

#17 Post by Jedbu »

I attended a sneak preview of the film years ago with my mother-a theater in Cleveland was showing a film we wanted to see and LH was to show beforehand. We figured two movies for the price of one would be a good deal and my mother loved the original version and thought Ross Hunter's version of AIRPORT was terrific.

The version we saw included the fertility dance and the reaction from the audience was like that of the audience in THE PRODUCERS at the end of the "Springtime for Hitler" number-mouths hanging open in astonishment. "Question Me an Answer" has to be one of the dumbest songs EVER, George Kennedy should NEVER have appeared in a musical, let alone Peter Finch, and the list just goes on. MAD magazine did one of its best parodies when it shot this abomination down in flames.

AndyDursin

#18 Post by AndyDursin »

I agree with you that it is awful Jeff. The movie was released right before I was born, and I wanted to see it for years before Pioneer did that Special Edition laserdisc. The songs aren't any good and the performances give off a "WTF were they thinking" type of casting vibe. I can still see why it has something of a following -- I just shake my head at the people who actually think it's good.

That said, I'm excited to see it in high-def and I'm sure it'll be a good seller for TT.

Eric Paddon

Re: Twilight Time - ENEMY MINE, SOUND & THE FURY, more

#19 Post by Eric Paddon »

AndyDursin wrote: Also, from Nick on MAJOR DUNDEE:

"A note about MAJOR DUNDEE: at Sony's request the title has been pushed back to March / April 2013 while more restoration work is done on the master. We're sorry about that as we are as eager to see it released as anyone, but the wait will be worthwhile!"
The original soundtrack option had better be on this or no way am I going to buy it. I have now after a critical study of the film last December, come to the conclusion that Amfitheatrof has gotten a bum rap of the first order and that replacing the score was wrong. Caliendo's gets no listen from me.

AndyDursin

#20 Post by AndyDursin »

Wow, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1990) is only up for pre-order and it's nearly sold out...just 500 copies and 2-per person. This will be TT's fastest selling release yet!

https://www.screenarchives.com/title_de ... PRE-ORDER/

Eric Paddon

Re: Twilight Time - NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD Almost Sold Out

#21 Post by Eric Paddon »

Sounds like they'll have some extra copies available due to returns from customers not happy at all about the transfer.

AndyDursin

#22 Post by AndyDursin »

I'm going to wager it's not going to be many. A group of Blu-ray.com posters went batty, spent page after page trashing Nick and Brian, said there's no way the transfer was "correct" -- only to find out the DP signed off on it and the director loves it.

For people who think the FSM board can be petty, it's nothing compared to the juvenile mindset of that board. There are over 5000 replies on the thread for this title alone.

I'm not really a fan of the movie, but the image quality is very good IMO, and had people not made this big deal out of it, I'm going to guess people wouldn't have said squat about it. Either way, I can't see them getting many returns -- if any.

Eric Paddon

#23 Post by Eric Paddon »

I have to admit, based on the screencap comparison, if I'd been a fan of the movie based on the earlier DVD, I'd be ticked off too. The "1776" experience is for me the ultimate proof of how what the director thinks is not necessarily the best idea, especially if fans have been accustomed to seeing things a certain way.

AndyDursin

#24 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric Paddon wrote:I have to admit, based on the screencap comparison, if I'd been a fan of the movie based on the earlier DVD, I'd be ticked off too. The "1776" experience is for me the ultimate proof of how what the director thinks is not necessarily the best idea, especially if fans have been accustomed to seeing things a certain way.
Those screencaps vary and some of them are outright garbage. The movie isn't nearly as blue-hued as some of those screencaps appear, and what you can't see from merely looking at screen caps, is the level of detail in the image. Frankly I think some of the shots were darkened further from what the image actually is, just on the part of fanboys wanting to drum up more controversy. While I can sympathize with the viewers who just want it the way it was on DVD, the level of hyperbole in that thread is laughable...absolutely hysterical ("it's so blue I can't make out any details!" -- please get a new pair of glasses if you actually believe that to be the case).

The other end none of those people want to talk about -- isn't it possible the DVD could possibly be "wrong" as well? They use it like it's the Gospel, but for a movie about a ZOMBIE outbreak, the brightness of the image plays at odds with the tone of the movie. The darkening of the image, to me, makes dramatic sense when you see how the film plays out. It's probably something that the DP or director wanted to do all along.

Either way -- I understand the questioning of the changes, and they're offering refunds for those who don't like it. Given that SONY produced the transfer, however, there's nothing else TT can do.

Personally I watched it the other night and I thought the movie looked very good. I think it's a totally overblown controversy that -- judging from the fact the prices on the secondary market are all going up again, not down -- riled up a small amount of viewers (which is, of course, what most internet controversies are ultimately). The hell, the film bombed at the box-office -- how many of these people, if any, actually saw the film in theaters? You'd think it was AVATAR or STAR WARS the way so many people seem to have such a miraculous memory of what the film looked like theatrically in 1990. It barely grossed $5 million!! :?

AndyDursin

#25 Post by AndyDursin »

Here's the official TT statement...

UPDATE: As promised, we have discussed NOTLD at the studio and are able to verify via SPE's Mastering Department, that our Blu-ray is indeed the approved transfer from 2010, generated for the film's 20th anniversary, and done in consultation with the film's director of photography. As you will have also seen on this page and elsewhere on the internet, director Tom Savini has now had a chance to view the end product and declared it "fantastic." As we are aware that some fans of the film will remain disappointed, our offer of a full refund still stands if you wish to return your copy. However, we would caution you with this thought: this is a limited edition run of 3,000 copies, and the title is sold out. Right or wrong, it is a collector's item, and there are no guarantees this title will ever be repressed. Going forward, if TT encounters another situation where the new transfer differs greatly from the old, we will bring that to collectors' attention prior to the disc being offered so that you may know of the changes beforehand. Thanks for all your support.

Best,

Nick Redman and Brian Jamieson.

AndyDursin

#26 Post by AndyDursin »

Great slate of early 2013 releases confirmed:

OUR MAN FLINT (1966) BLU-RAY - Jan 15th

EXPERIMENT IN TERROR (1962) BLU-RAY - Jan 15th

PONY SOLDIER (1952) BLU-RAY - Feb 12th

IN LIKE FLINT (1967) BLU-RAY - Feb 12th

NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA (1971) BLU-RAY - Feb 12th

Eric Paddon

Re: Twilight Time: NICHOLAS & ALEXANDRA, FLINT Movies Start

#27 Post by Eric Paddon »

I guess bad luck timing is why we'll never see a Blu-Ray of "Fate Is The Hunter"? It was nice to get it on DVD, but it's a bummer if being among the first titles freezes it out of Blu-Ray.

AndyDursin

#28 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric Paddon wrote:I guess bad luck timing is why we'll never see a Blu-Ray of "Fate Is The Hunter"? It was nice to get it on DVD, but it's a bummer if being among the first titles freezes it out of Blu-Ray.
Yeah, I feel the same about Film Flam Man. Guess they realized pretty quickly BD was the smarter route for them commercially.

Paul MacLean

#29 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA (1971) BLU-RAY - Feb 12th
Great news! Nicholas and Alexandra is one of the most underrated films of all time. And while it is obviously influenced by Doctor Zhivago (most of David Lean's key people worked on it -- Freddie Young, John Box, Eddie Fowlie, etc.), it is arguably as good as Zhivago (and at the risk of sounding sacrilegious, I think Franklin Schaffner achieves a smoother and more polished result than Lean did).

Probably the best cast ever assembled for a film as well -- Michael Jayston, Janet Suzman, Laurence Olivier, Jack Hawkins, Ian Holm, Brian Cox, Roy Dotrice, Curt Jurgens, John Wood, Julian Glover, Steven Berkoff, Tom Baker, etc., etc.

It's just a shame though that this undervalued classic will only see life as a limited edition. :(

AndyDursin

#30 Post by AndyDursin »

True, but we're also fortunate it's being released at all on Blu-Ray. Catalog titles are on a fast downward spiral for anything pre 1980. It's either this or streaming...and I know how you feel about that :)