Twilight Time Says Goodbye; $4-$11 Price Reductions

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

Re: Twilight Time - NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD Almost Sold Out

#31 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:Great slate of early 2013 releases confirmed:

OUR MAN FLINT (1966) BLU-RAY - Jan 15th

EXPERIMENT IN TERROR (1962) BLU-RAY - Jan 15th

PONY SOLDIER (1952) BLU-RAY - Feb 12th

IN LIKE FLINT (1967) BLU-RAY - Feb 12th

NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA (1971) BLU-RAY - Feb 12th
I wonder if any of them will see a CD release?
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

Re: Twilight Time: NICHOLAS & ALEXANDRA, FLINT Movies Start

#32 Post by AndyDursin »

Haven't the Flint movies been covered pretty well already?

John Johnson

#33 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:Haven't the Flint movies been covered pretty well already?
I'm sure the Jerry fans would welcome a new release. As for Nicholas and Alexandria, any new Richard Rodney Bennett would be most welcome.

John Johnson

#34 Post by John Johnson »

Twilight Time has officially announced at least some of its releases for March and April, including its first ever two disc Blu-ray release, the hotly anticipated Sam Peckinpah film Major Dundee.

On March 12, Twilight Time will release:

The Fury
Christine

On April 9th, Twilight Time will release:

Major Dundee
The Song of Bernadette

Twilight Time's Nick Redman indicates that a third April release may ultimately be forthcoming. No technical specs have been announced, other than that Major Dundee will span two Blu-ray discs.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10083

Monterey Jack

#35 Post by Monterey Jack »

John Johnson wrote:On March 12, Twilight Time will release:

The Fury
Christine
Great, high-def releases of a Carpenter and De Palma film...that will set me back almost SEVENTY DOLLARS if I order them both. :evil:

Nothing infuriates me more than seeing a film I want to own on Blu get released by Twilight Time.

AndyDursin

#36 Post by AndyDursin »

I understand your gripes, but it's a good thing you weren't around in the laserdisc era when $40 was the going rate for EVERY film 20 years ago! I remember paying $100 for some Criterion titles too...though it didn't happen much since I was in high school at the time.

Funny, I was listening to THE FURY today here on my ipod in Aruba. Great score, especially the film version. Not a great movie, but I'm looking forward to seeing it again. 8)

Monterey Jack

#37 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:I understand your gripes, but it's a good thing you weren't around in the laserdisc era when $40 was the going rate for EVERY film 20 years ago! I remember paying $100 for some Criterion titles too...though it didn't happen much since I was in high school at the time.
I do remember the days when special edition laserdisc boxes sold for anywhere from $80 to $150...I still have a number of them left in my collection (mainly the ones with extras that never made their way to DVD/Blu, like that great E.T. set with the full 80+ minute documentary). But that was twenty years ago. Other companies like Shout Factory manage to release niche genre films without a set 3,000-copy limit or jacking the price up to a stinging $35 (including unavoidable S+H direct from Screen Archives). If a limited soundtrack CD can be released for $20 or less, there's no excuse for paying ten bucks more than that for a Blu where the only extras are an isolated score track and a booklet. :roll: Criterion releases are around the same MSRP, but A.) they're loaded with tons of excellent features, and B.) they go on sale several times a year, often w/free shipping through Amazon. As much as I'd love to own Christine and The Fury in high def (the latter in particular...the DVD looked pretty rough), I can't justify blowing $35 on them when, for the same amount of money, I can get get three or four Blus through Amazon. I'll wait for some other label to re-issue them down the line.
Funny, I was listening to THE FURY today here on my ipod in Aruba. Great score, especially the film version. Not a great movie, but I'm looking forward to seeing it again. 8)
The film is a stylish guilty pleasure (plus, young Amy Irving :D), and Williams' score is phenomenal, both in the lush LSO album recording and the original film tracks. The Varese Club release of both recordings is one of my favorites.

John Johnson

#38 Post by John Johnson »

Perhaps now's the time to offload my copy of the CD

Monterey Jack

#39 Post by Monterey Jack »

John Johnson wrote:Perhaps now's the time to offload my copy of the CD
I wouldn't be at all surprised if LaLaLand or Intrada reissued that album soon, with the Varese Club release being OOP for about a decade now. And a lot of the Twilight Time Blus have coincided with soundtrack reissues...

mkaroly

#40 Post by mkaroly »

AndyDursin wrote:I understand your gripes, but it's a good thing you weren't around in the laserdisc era when $40 was the going rate for EVERY film 20 years ago! I remember paying $100 for some Criterion titles too...though it didn't happen much since I was in high school at the time.

I love the original film score to THE FURY as well...much more that I do the album presentation.

AndyDursin

#41 Post by AndyDursin »

Agreed Michael. There are times I prefer album versions over their film counterparts (Capricorn One and Damien Omen II being a couple of them), but THE FURY's film performance has a lot more energy and tension than the London Symphony version. I like the latter too, but comparatively speaking the film version is superior for my listening pleasure. 8)

AndyDursin

#42 Post by AndyDursin »

Nick just emailed TT's official release schedule through mid year:

THE FURY (1978) BLU-RAY - March 12th
CHRISTINE (1983) BLU-RAY - March 12th

THE SONG OF BERNADETTE (1943) BLU-RAY - March 26th
Release brought forward to be ready at Easter time.

MAJOR DUNDEE (1965) BLU-RAY (2-disc set) - April 9th

AT LONG LAST LOVE (1975) BLU-RAY - April 9th (NOTE: Not on the TT label, but exclusively handled by TT for Twentieth Century Fox) We will be handling all production for this Fox title on behalf of the studio, but it will not be a limited edition, although it will be available exclusively at www.screenarchives.com

PHILADELPHIA (1993) BLU-RAY - May 14th
LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN (1945) BLU-RAY - May 14th

HARD TIMES (1975) BLU-RAY - June 11th
THE DRIVER (1978) BLU-RAY - June 11th
THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN (1970) - June 11th

DavidBanner

Re: Twilight Time: Full Schedule Through Mid 2013 Released

#43 Post by DavidBanner »

At Long Last Love?????

You mean the same one that the Golden Turkey Awards lambasted the heck out of back in the day? That movie had its own place of infamy in the book, next to Robot Monster and Scream Blacula Scream...

AndyDursin

#44 Post by AndyDursin »

Yep, it's that one! I don't think it ever made it to DVD, VHS or laserdisc...but I did see it on Cinemax years ago. TT has definitely put together some cult musical titles there with that and LOST HORIZON...but I bet they'll sell for them! (I certainly enjoy them too as a Golden Turkey Awards aficionado :)

jkholm

#45 Post by jkholm »

What do you guys think about the chances of sell-outs for Christine and The Fury? They go up for pre-order next week. On Facebook, Twilight Time made a comment that suggested they think Christine will sell out quickly.