Twilight Time Says Goodbye; $4-$11 Price Reductions

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: Twilight Time: Full Schedule Through Mid 2013 Released

#46 Post by AndyDursin »

I expect CHRISTINE to go faster than THE FURY, and probably will be TT's fastest sell out. Keep an eye on it for sure.

AndyDursin

#47 Post by AndyDursin »

CHRISTINE sold out in about 4-5 hours.

Just from reading around online and acknowledging the typical bellyaching that comes with these sell-outs, I do believe Screen Archives needs to do a more timely job of getting their "now available!" emails out. The email I received that these were available came in at about 9pm, by which point only 500 copies were left. I wasn't around at 9pm on a Friday night, and I don't think a lot of people were, which is probably why there are so many complaints.

Anyway, never underestimate the pull of Carpenter and Stephen King -- even if CHRISTINE is patently mediocre for the most part. 8)

Monterey Jack

#48 Post by Monterey Jack »

I managed to get a copy of Christine before the sell-out, but I still feel dirty for giving into TT's price-gouging tactics. These should be selling for $20, tops. :?

AndyDursin

#49 Post by AndyDursin »

I always laugh at the "F--K YOU DAD!' line. Comedy gold. :lol:

I'm interesting in seeing both CHRISTINE and THE FURY again in high def. Both films definitely have their problems, but they have some appeal to them: CHRISTINE in Carpenter's direction, even if the film isn't remotely scary and the lead character's "obsessiveness" is poorly developed. I still find it a missed opportunity for the most part. THE FURY has a great Williams score and some memorable moments, but also a very downbeat, ultimately depressing plot that's extremely uneven, and with a unsatisfying ending on top of it. DePalma was all over the place with that film, though overall, I still find it moderately entertaining as an exercise in style.

Paul MacLean

#50 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:THE FURY has a great Williams score and some memorable moments, but also a very downbeat, ultimately depressing plot that's extremely uneven, and with a unsatisfying ending on top of it.
The Fury was far too much of a downer for me -- but I do think the whole sequence where Douglas ties-up the old couple and steals their clothes, and then impersonates a goofy old man ("You're under arrest!") is hysterically funny.

Monterey Jack

#51 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean wrote:The Fury was far too much of a downer for me -- but I do think the whole sequence where Douglas ties-up the old couple and steals their clothes, and then impersonates a goofy old man ("You're under arrest!") is hysterically funny.
It's even funnier to realize it's a young, moustache-less Dennis Franz as one of the cops that Douglas hijacks. :lol:

AndyDursin

#52 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:
Paul MacLean wrote:The Fury was far too much of a downer for me -- but I do think the whole sequence where Douglas ties-up the old couple and steals their clothes, and then impersonates a goofy old man ("You're under arrest!") is hysterically funny.
It's even funnier to realize it's a young, moustache-less Dennis Franz as one of the cops that Douglas hijacks. :lol:
I forgot that! It's been years since I've seen it...but I remember Daryl Hannah popping up at the beginning as well.

Monterey Jack

#53 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:I forgot that! It's been years since I've seen it...but I remember Daryl Hannah popping up at the beginning as well.
Supposedly Jim Belushi is an extra in one scene, but I've never been able to spot him.

AndyDursin

#54 Post by AndyDursin »

For more hilarity, check out the Blu-ray.com message board thread on TT. Dozens upon dozens of pages of chronic complainers who, for the last 2 years, have continuously recycled the same whines and arguments over and over again. I can't think of a collective "online community" as juvenile. I think they truly believe every Blu-ray release should be a $5 Walmart dump bin title, as so few of them have an understanding of how the business or the real world functions.

They're so bad, they make the FSM board readership look tame and civilized by comparison! :lol:

sprocket

#55 Post by sprocket »

I wandered onto SAE's website around 4:15 on Friday afternoon ... which of course was down... I had forgotten that it was pre-order time for Christine. :lol:

When it came up again, I checked Christine out - and I'm sure the page title said "CHRISTINE (1983/ LIMIT 10 COPIES PER CUSTOMER)(PRE-ORDER)". Who the hell is going to buy 10 copies, except ebay speculators and distributors?? Shame on SAE. Later it changed to the more reasonable limit of 2 per customer.

I have a few of these Twilight Time releases and although they are expensive, I haven't regretted buying any. I really do think before I buy one, though. I have no problem with their business model, after all, the latest Hollywood blockbuster easily sets you back as much on release, and isn't a fraction as well made or entertaining.

AndyDursin

#56 Post by AndyDursin »

Second chance offering on March 8th for those who missed out.

Basically buy 1 copy, and several other TT offerings, to get over $100, and get a signed copy by Keith Gordon for free.

Friday, March 8th - now that SAE have had a chance to process all the orders for CHRISTINE, as normally happens there are cancellations -- this means a limited quantity of CHRISTINE will be available again for sale. These will retail at the usual $29.95 and will be limited to one copy per customer.

Also, we are very pleased to announce that actor / director Keith Gordon will be signing a limited quantity of promotional copies. The autographed copies will be given away FREE to any customer who purchases $100 dollars worth or more, of TT product. ($100 dollars equals one free copy, $200 dollars equals 2 free copies and so on.)

Both the signed and unsigned regular retail copies will go up at 4 pm EST. (Set your alarm clocks!)

AndyDursin

Re: Twilight Time - ENEMY MINE, SOUND & THE FURY, more

#57 Post by AndyDursin »

MAJOR DUNDEE is a 2-disc set with the original theatrical version and score, obviously, on one of the discs, restored in HD for the first time. I know that'll make Eric happy.

Monterey Jack

Re: Twilight Time: CHRISTINE "Second Chance" March 8th

#58 Post by Monterey Jack »

2-disc set...that means a $70 pricetag, right? :roll:

AndyDursin

Re: Twilight Time: CHRISTINE "Second Chance" March 8th

#59 Post by AndyDursin »

TT's July/August titles have been announced.

THE DISAPPEARANCE is going to be a tough sell, but SLEEPLESS and BODY DOUBLE ought to do well.

---------------------------------------------

PHILADELPHIA (1993) BLU-RAY - May 14th
LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN (1945) BLU-RAY - May 14th
HARD TIMES (1975) BLU-RAY - June 11th
THE DRIVER (1978) BLU-RAY - June 11th
THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN (1970) BLU-RAY - June 11th
SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE (1993) BLU-RAY - July 9th
LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING (1955) BLU-RAY - July 9th
BODY DOUBLE (1984) BLU-RAY - Aug 13th
SEXY BEAST (2000) BLU-RAY - Aug 13th
THE DISAPPEARANCE (1977) BLU-RAY - Aug 13th

Eric Paddon

Re: Twilight Time: July/August Releases Slated

#60 Post by Eric Paddon »

Not one title from that list interests me. Just as well since the Dundee experience frankly has soured me in general on the label (no, I'm not saying I would refuse to buy a title I *really* want to see on Blu Ray out of spite. It's just that I am not inclined to do any "blind buying" of a movie that is not something I am instinctively familiar with at those prices).