Twilight Time Says Goodbye; $4-$11 Price Reductions

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Twilight Time Says Goodbye; $4-$11 Price Reductions

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

AS GOOD AS IT GETS will be the newest TT release coming this summer:

Upcoming releases:

DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS (1954) BLU-RAY - March 13th

BITE THE BULLET (1975) BLU-RAY - March 13th

DESIREE (1954) BLU-RAY - April 10th

BELL, BOOK & CANDLE (1958) BLU-RAY - April 10th

JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH (1959) BLU-RAY - May 8th

THE BIG HEAT (1953) BLU-RAY - May 8th

John Steinbeck's THE WAYWARD BUS (1957) BLU-RAY - June 12th

AS GOOD AS IT GETS (1997) BLU-RAY - June 12th

Monterey Jack

Re: Twilight Time - Blu-Ray Limited Editions Thread

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

Honestly...As Good As It Gets? A fifteen-year-old blockbuster with Best Actor and Actress Oscars? :?

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:Honestly...As Good As It Gets? A fifteen-year-old blockbuster with Best Actor and Actress Oscars? :?
Shows you what Sony thinks about releasing catalog titles on the format they created, doesn't it?

Ought to be a good seller for Nick and friends though :)

sprocket

#4 Post by sprocket »

There are some interesting releases on that list but can I justify spending $35 plus on them? It's very hard to. :|

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

sprocket wrote:There are some interesting releases on that list but can I justify spending $35 plus on them? It's very hard to. :|
The way I look at it: if you truly love and care about the film, it's a premium worth paying for because I go back to the laserdisc era when I'd routinely pay $30-$40 for a new release -- there were no "blind buys" back then unless I was buying used titles for $10 and under.

Besides that, certain TT releases are going to have a lot of value on the secondary market if they sell out. New copies of FRIGHT NIGHT go for (and sell for) $100 right now. Not that every title TT will release will go that route, but I can see a number of their releases having similarly collectable value. So it's like an investment on top of it, though I can understand if you're on the fence with a certain title, the pricing makes it more difficult to "try it". On the other hand, the market TT is going after are the folks who do love the film and will pay for a quality HD presentation of it.

John Johnson

#6 Post by John Johnson »

Next month, Twilight Time will bring both Désirée and Bell, Book, and Candle to Blu-ray.

Désirée is director Henry Koster's 1954 screen adaptation of the Annemarie Selinko novel. In it, Marlon Brando (A Streetcar Named Desire) stars as Napoleon Bonaparte, whose legendary rise and fall comes filtered through the prism of his relationship with the title character (Jean Simmons, Spartacus), a millinery clerk left forever desiring the French emperor after he marries his empress Josephine (Merle Oberon, Wuthering Heights).

Directed by Richard Quine (Paris When It Sizzles), Bell, Book, and Candle finds actors James Stewart (It's a Wonderful Life) and Kim Novak (Picnic) reunited after their first pairing in Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo; this fantasy-comedy has a decidedly less serious tone that the Hitchcock thriller, as Novak plays a witch living in modern-day New York who works her magic in order to woo a befuddled publisher (Stewart) away from his fiancée (Janice Rule, 3 Women).

Twilight Time's Désirée Blu-ray presents the film in its 2.55:1 original aspect ratio with a 4.0 DTS-HD Master Audio track. The disc also has the following bonus features:

Isolated score track
Original theatrical trailer
Liner notes by Julie Kirgo
The distributor's Bell, Book, and Candle disc preserves the picture's 1.85:1 aspect ratio and also adds a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track alongside the followiing supplements.

Two featurettes: - Bewitched, Bothered, and Blonde
- Reflections in the Middle of the Night
Isolated score track
Liner notes by Julie Kirgo
As is the standard for Twilight Time releases, both Blu-rays have limited 3,000 unit runs.

Désirée and Bell, Book, and Candle street on April 10th.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8400
London. Greatest City in the world.

John Johnson

#7 Post by John Johnson »

SALES PROMOTION COMMENCES FRIDAY, APRIL 13th at 4 pm EST.
Just wanted to give the heads-up to all our dedicated followers on FB -- starting this Friday with the pre-orders of "Journey to the Center of the Earth" and "The Big Heat" we wanted to alert you all to the following from SAE:

April 10 - Twilight Time’s next 2 Blu-ray releases JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH (1959) and THE BIG HEAT (1953) will go live April 13th at 4pm EST. As a bonus, there will be a limited 100 signed copies of Journey to the Center of the Earth by Pat Boone! This will be an additional product page with the same price and will denote “Autographed” for interested customers.

Also:

Beginning Friday at the same time as our 2 new Blu-ray releases go live, buy $85 dollars worth of Twilight Time product and receive your choice of 1 of the following 5 DVDs FREE with your purchase! To qualify you MUST include “Please add Free <title> DVD” in the order notes field on the final page of checkout on www.screenarchives.com

THE KREMLIN LETTER
VIOLENT SATURDAY
WOMAN OBSESSED
THE EGYPTIAN (DVD only)
MY COUSIN RACHEL

This promotion ends at the close of business on May 10th.

This is a first-anniversary thank-you to everyone who has supported us and made our start-up year the memorable adventure it has become....

London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

Nice titles just announced :)

THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES (1965) BLU-RAY - July 10th
COVER GIRL (1944) BLU-RAY - July 10th
HIGH TIME (1960) BLU-RAY - Aug 14th
BYE BYE BIRDIE (1963) BLU-RAY - Aug 14th

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

September/October titles...SOUND AND THE FURY and ENEMY MINE -- love both of those!

THE SOUND AND THE FURY (1959) BLU-RAY - Sept 11th

STEEL MAGNOLIAS (1989) BLU-RAY - Sept 11th

ENEMY MINE (1985) BLU-RAY - Oct 9th

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1990) BLU-RAY - Oct 9th

Edit - I wonder if ENEMY MINE means a new CD is coming...makes sense!

Eric W.

#10 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote: Edit - I wonder if ENEMY MINE means a new CD is coming...makes sense!
That's over due!

Monterey Jack

Re: Twilight Time - ENEMY MINE, SOUND & THE FURY, more

#11 Post by Monterey Jack »

Too bad about Enemy Mine...a nice 80's sci-fi movie I'd like to own on Blu, but cannot afford to buy for $35 shipped. :? At least with a $30 Criterion title, you usually get tons of excellent extra features, but the TT titles usually give you only an isolated score track and a booklet with liner notes.

AndyDursin

Re: Twilight Time - ENEMY MINE, SOUND & THE FURY, more

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

More new releases!

THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR (1955) BLU-RAY - Nov 13th

BONJOUR TRISTESSE (1958) BLU-RAY - Nov 13th

BELOVED INFIDEL (1959) BLU-RAY - Dec 11th

THE BLUE LAGOON (1980) BLU-RAY - Dec 11th

LOST HORIZON (1973) BLU-RAY - Dec 11th

Also, from Nick on MAJOR DUNDEE:

"A note about MAJOR DUNDEE: at Sony's request the title has been pushed back to March / April 2013 while more restoration work is done on the master. We're sorry about that as we are as eager to see it released as anyone, but the wait will be worthwhile!"

Jedbu

Re: Twilight Time - LOST HORIZON, BLUE LAGOON in Dec.

#13 Post by Jedbu »

The 1973 LOST HORIZON? Really? Seriously? Bleccccccchhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! :| :| :| :roll:

AndyDursin

#14 Post by AndyDursin »

Jeff, while it may not be to your liking, have to realize it's a big cult film and is likely to sell very well for TT....so it can fund future projects you will find appealing. 8)

Wonder if Nick can snag 1776 while he's at it ;)

Jedbu

#15 Post by Jedbu »

1776 I can understand (although if it is not EXACTLY the version E. Paddon likes, hoo-boy!) or A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS, but for the life of me I cannot understand how anyone can watch that Ross Hunter debacle without taking massive quantities of drugs accompanied by gallons of tequila and throwing rocks at the screen during the songs "Question Me an Answer (WTF???!!!)" and that godawful fertility dance... :oops: