PEANUTS - Fox/Blue Sky Animated Movie - 2015

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Jedbu

Re: PEANUTS - Fox/Blue Sky Animated Movie - 2015

#16 Post by Jedbu »

I think the Monster Cable disc is based off an earlier edition, because I know I purchased it while I was still living in Los Angeles, and I left there in early 2012. What I like about the multi-channel version is that you have a choice of the ambiance while listening-small jazz club, concert hall, etc., and the sound is crystal clear.

Too bad about Lukas' work on the A BOY NAMED CHARLIE BROWN OST-would have loved to hear that score with those choices.

AndyDursin

#17 Post by AndyDursin »

Yeah, we can unfortunately blame the Peanuts people for it. Lukas finished it, it was all mixed and ready to go. I'm not sure how it broke down (can't remember to be honest) but I believe the newspaper syndicate pulled the plug and/or asked for some ridiculous monetary/licensing demands -- this was AFTER he had gone through CBS who owns the rights to the film, which was an ordeal in itself.

He sent me a copy and it is glorious. He's said it was the single biggest nightmare/disappointment of his entire soundtrack producing career, and I can see why. :(

Monterey Jack

#18 Post by Monterey Jack »

8.5/10

This was an absolutely charming movie...one that thankfully refrains from the usual clutter that gums up most CG animated features these days (annoying pop culture references, scatological "jokes", BIG NAME CELEBRITY!!! voice casting, incessant, painful slapstick) and retains the gentle, slightly melancholy tone of the original comic strips and TV specials. It's not especially compelling as a narrative (Charlie Brown has a crush on the Little Red-Haired Girl, tries to impress her...that's it, really), but in this day of kiddie-movie overkill, it's nice to see a family movie that doesn't require an overblown fight with a villain or an overextended chase to climax the story. Instead, it's about good ol' Charlie Brown discovering that a sense of self-worth is the most important thing in life, and that's a wonderful lesson to pass on to children in an ever-more-cynical age of media consumption. The look of the film is gorgeous, retaining the graphic line quality of the original Charles Schultz illustrations while still "modernizing" the style enough so that today's kids will respond to it. I also loved that Snoopy and Woodstock retain Bill Melendez's humorously guttural vocalizations, and that the school teachers still "speak" in that muted-trombone "WAH-WAH-WAH". A real treat for Peanuts fans, and a great way to introduce the characters to a new generation.

jkholm

#19 Post by jkholm »

Monterey Jack wrote:8.5/10

This was an absolutely charming movie...one that thankfully refrains from the usual clutter that gums up most CG animated features these days (annoying pop culture references, scatological "jokes", BIG NAME CELEBRITY!!! voice casting, incessant, painful slapstick) and retains the gentle, slightly melancholy tone of the original comic strips and TV specials. It's not especially compelling as a narrative (Charlie Brown has a crush on the Little Red-Haired Girl, tries to impress her...that's it, really), but in this day of kiddie-movie overkill, it's nice to see a family movie that doesn't require an overblown fight with a villain or an overextended chase to climax the story. Instead, it's about good ol' Charlie Brown discovering that a sense of self-worth is the most important thing in life, and that's a wonderful lesson to pass on to children in an ever-more-cynical age of media consumption. The look of the film is gorgeous, retaining the graphic line quality of the original Charles Schultz illustrations while still "modernizing" the style enough so that today's kids will respond to it. I also loved that Snoopy and Woodstock retain Bill Melendez's humorously guttural vocalizations, and that the school teachers still "speak" in that muted-trombone "WAH-WAH-WAH". A real treat for Peanuts fans, and a great way to introduce the characters to a new generation.
Completely agree. I went to see it today with my wife and kids and absolutely loved it. Whoever did the voice casting deserves an award. How long did it take to find kids whose voices sound almost exactly like the voices from the old specials? Linus in particular sounded perfect.