PEANUTS - Fox/Blue Sky Animated Movie - 2015

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

PEANUTS - Fox/Blue Sky Animated Movie - 2015

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Now here's a CGI animated film I'm really looking forward to. Glad it ended up with Blue Sky and Fox as opposed to Dreamworks, who probably would've wanted to give Snoopy gas. :roll: Not only do I think this is long overdue, I think this could work gangbusters provided they use Vince Guaraldi's music and dumb it down...will be interesting to see what they do and how they do it.

But the fact it's being written by Charles Schulz's son and grandson -- that's good enough to get me encouraged. The family has such strict control over what gets made and licensed from their characters (just ask Lukas who tried to get A BOY NAMED CHARLIE BROWN out for years, to no avail) that I can't imagine it won't be anything other than faithful.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/charles ... y-studios/

BREAKING: Twentieth Century Fox Animation and Ice Age makers Blue Sky Studios will turn Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Woodstock and the Peanuts gang into an animated feature film franchise. Fox has closed a deal for the rights to turn the strip by the late Charles Schulz into a film that has already been set for release on November 25, 2015. That date commemorates the 65th anniversary of the comic strip, and the 50th anniversary of the TV special A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Fox Animation has set director Steve Martino, who co-directed the Fox/Blue Sky hit Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears A Who! and Fox Animation’s latest blockbuster, Ice Age: Continental Drift. The screenplay is by Craig Schulz and the writing team of Bryan Schulz & Cornelius Uliano. Craig Schulz and Bryan Schulz, who are Schulz’s son and grandson, will produce with Uliano.

Deal came after two years of rights negotiations with the Schulz family, culminating in a deal announced by Fox Animation president Vanessa Morrison. So much of the family film game is built around branded properties, and few family brands are as well known globally as Peanuts.

The Schulz strip was read daily by 355 million people in 75 countries and spawned such Emmy-winning specials as It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.

Also playing a key role in the deal was Neil Cole, chief executive officer and president of Iconix Brand Group which, in a joint venture with Charles M. Schulz Creative Associates, formed Peanuts Worldwide in 2010, the home to the global “Peanuts” property. Fox Aimation director of development Ralph Millero worked closely with Morrison and with the Schulz estate in securing the rights to the property.

Said Fox Animation’s Morrison: “We are thrilled to partner with the Schulz family and Iconix and honored to bring the Peanuts characters to the big screen. This all started with our love and respect for the work of Charles Schulz. We thank the Schulz family and Iconix for letting Fox and Blue Sky bring his vision to new generations of film goers.”

Craig Schulz, President, Charles M. Schulz Creative Associates, said, “We have been working on this project for years. We finally felt the time was right and the technology is where we need it to be to create this film. I am thrilled we will be partnering with Blue Sky/Fox to create a Peanuts movie that is true to the strip and will continue the legacy in honor of my father.”

“This is a momentous step for the Peanuts brand. The beloved characters, Snoopy, Charlie Brown and the whole gang resonate with multiple generations all over the world,” commented Neil Cole, CEO, Iconix Brand Group. “This film will give us a new medium in which to engage consumers globally and showcase the power of the Peanuts brand, ” added Cole.

mkaroly

Re: PEANUTS - Fox/Blue Sky Animated Movie - 2015

#2 Post by mkaroly »

Peanuts is my all-time favorite comic strip. The Fantanagraphics volumes of the strips are outstanding and way more valuable to me than the price I pay for them. I can see enjoying these films when they come out IF they are good.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

mkaroly wrote:Peanuts is my all-time favorite comic strip. The Fantanagraphics volumes of the strips are outstanding and way more valuable to me than the price I pay for them. I can see enjoying these films when they come out IF they are good.
Exactly. Again, that the Schulz family is so heavily involved -- Craig is producing and writing, his son is also co-writing the script -- is a great sign. They didn't just hand the rights over to people who don't understand the material, which is what I'd be afraid of. Peanuts requires the right touch and it'll be interesting to see how it comes together, but when they say they've been working on it for years, I believe them.

Blue Sky does a tremendous job with their animation and their character designs are as good as anyone out there, so no quibbles there.

If it works, this is going to be huge for them. The Peanuts gang still brings in so much in merchandise and is still visible even without any new content being produced. This could open up a whole new audience, a younger audience, while re-establishing the characters in today's world. I hope they do it justice.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Early teaser gives you a taste of the animation style. Given it's CG, it looks good to me -- love the Guaraldi music too!

Hopefully the film pans out..

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Full trailer -- could live without the song, but the animation style looks quite nice and Vince's music looks like it'll play a major role (I assume the score will fall to someone like Christophe Beck or someone).

Eric W.

#6 Post by Eric W. »

Has promise!

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Yay, they didn't ruin it Charlie Brown!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review ... iew-835849

Monterey Jack

#8 Post by Monterey Jack »

Glad to hear this isn't in the same category as those horrible Dr. Seuss CGI flicks, like Horton Hears A Who and The Lorax. I have a lot of fond memories of reading the Peanuts comic strips and, of course, the various TV specials (who our age does not?), so it pleases me they haven't gone for the lowest-common-denominator and pandered to the kiddie crowd with scatological "humor" (and their parents with will-be-dated-in-six-months pop-culture riffing). And the animation, despite being in CG, looks very faithful to a simple, graphic line quality of the strips and TV specials. Count me in. :)

mkaroly

#9 Post by mkaroly »

PEANUTS is my all-time favorite comic strip (a shout out to Fantagraphics Books who have been releasing definitive collections of all the PEANUTS strips), so perhaps more than THE MUPPETS this is sacred territory for me...lol...glad to hear that the movie has been done well.

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

Schulz family was heavily involved in every element of this -- no way they were going to give away the rights and not have a good hold on the movie that was going to be made from their property.

What I am excited about is Blue Sky, the Seuss movies notwithstanding, has done some good work -- the first ICE AGE is as good as any Pixar property IMO -- and they nailed the art design. Nobody makes hand-drawn anymore, so CG was always going to be the method -- but they've done it in a beautiful way that nails the original design while giving it some color and depth.

It was really the only choice. As Variety's (rave) review mentions, did anyone want to see a live-action Peanuts or have the characters designed like TINTIN?

http://variety.com/2015/film/reviews/th ... 201631353/

Eric Paddon

#11 Post by Eric Paddon »

On very rare occasions Schulz would do semi-topical stuff (and they were never included in the old paperback compilations) but even there he wouldn't overly indulge it. This may be the only example of Schulz doing something bodily function related, and because it was 1974 I think it was meant to be his sly comment on "The Exorcist."

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

LOL that's great Eric! I hadn't seen that one before.

Jedbu

#13 Post by Jedbu »

I was a huge fan of the strip when I was a kid (had tons of the books and a few hardcovers), never missed the TV specials and loved A BOY NAMED CHARLIE BROWN when I saw it on the big screen (although I thought that, with the exception of the title tune, that McKuen's songs were just OK). I also had the OST from Columbia Masterworks, and had been wondering why it had never been released on CD-the movie is out on DVD (just saw it at our local Walmart) and am tempted to get it to see how it holds up over the years. BTW, the Monster Cable multi-channel CD of the Christmas special is an aural treat.

If this is a monster hit, INSIDE/OUT might have some major competition at the Oscars this winter.

Eric Paddon

#14 Post by Eric Paddon »

To me there is one fatal flaw with "A Boy Named Charlie Brown" and that's ultimately how Charlie Brown is supposed to be a "failure" for in effect finishing second in a nationwide competition!

AndyDursin

#15 Post by AndyDursin »

I also had the OST from Columbia Masterworks, and had been wondering why it had never been released on CD-
The biggest crime was the CD Lukas produced, which would have allowed people to hear the entire underscore sans dialogue. It is not only a great score, but it has all of Guaraldi's original themes, orchestrated by John Scott Trotter who did a terrific job giving "shape" to Vince's music on most of the TV specials. Tracks like "Skating" have a whole new feel with the orchestra in back of them.

The music was beautifully remastered, edited and presented like all the FSM CDs. A shame nobody will get to hear it.
BTW, the Monster Cable multi-channel CD of the Christmas special is an aural treat.
I've been interested in picking this up but what version is it based on? For me, the definitive CD of that score is the 2012 remaster of the original LP. The sound is the best, and musically, the content on that disc is the most satisfying...it doesn't have the "misplaced tracks" and edits that afflicted the "remastered/expanded" version.

EDIT - Derrick Bang wrote the notes for the BOY NAMED CHARLIE BROWN CD Lukas was going to release (or was going to), and his page offers the differences between the myriad of different CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS CDs. I'm still interested in the Monster CD but I am hanging onto my 2012 CD no matter what! :)

http://www.fivecentsplease.org/dpb/cbxmas.html