The Sweeney Film - UK, US and Le French

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

The Sweeney Film - UK, US and Le French

#1 Post by John Johnson »

I really didn't think this would get a release stateside.

The Sweeney, a contemporary film version of the police drama that ran on England’s ITV from 1975 to ‘78, will open in theaters on this side of the Atlantic and be available via video on demand beginning March 1.

The Sweeney is the nickname of the Flying Squad, a division of the London police force that focuses on violent crime and armed robbery. The name comes from Cockney rhyming slang, with Sweeney Todd standing in for Flying Squad.

The Sweeney’s lustrous line-up of British stars includes tough guy Ray Winstone, Damian Lewis (fresh off winning a Golden Globe award for his acting in Homeland), Hayley Atwell, and Steven Mackintosh. Plan B singer Ben Drew also has a prominent role as the junior partner to Winstone’s senior police detective.

The criminal thriller, which includes a big shootout in London’s Trafalgar Square, opened in England last September. Although it scored a 65 percent favorable rating from critics on RottonTomatoes.com, movie reviewers at most of the major British papers were less than kind.

Reviewing the film in The Guardian, critic Peter Bradshaw wrote, “Ray Winstone is good casting as Regan, the old-school copper who isn’t fussed about playing by the rules, etc. … But the film is fantastically heavy-handed and humorless, and the police-procedural details are wildly implausible and wrong.”

Bradshaw was particularly vituperative about Drew’s acting style: “His look of intense, silent menace often makes him look like a six-year-old secretly urinating in a swimming pool.”

The original TV show starred John Thaw as Detective Inspector Jack Regan and Dennis Waterman as Detective Sergeant George Carter, his partner. The show connected with 1970s audiences enough to warrant two spin-off movies: Sweeney! (1977) and Sweeney 2 (1978).

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2 ... n-march-1/
Last edited by John Johnson on Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

Re: The Sweeney Film

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Damian Lewis is on fire right now thanks to Homeland. Have to imagine his presence in the cast probably was the reason for the domestic interest over here.

Hayley Atwell is a sweetheart -- might have to check it out!

John Johnson

#3 Post by John Johnson »

I have the film on pre-order, which is released tomorrow, but I still want to see it on the big screen.

Edmund Kattak

#4 Post by Edmund Kattak »

I just finished watching the first 10 minutes - will have to finish later. I was a little dismayed to see an early sex scene between Ray Winstone and Haley Atwell. Not much exposition or really nasty, but he has to be almost 30 years her senior. I get a little bummed when I see that (like Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt in As Good As It Gets, not that these films are anywhere close to each other). At least from the first 10 minutes, Atwell has certainly debunked my sweet image of Agent Carter from Captain America. Her character in this movie strikes me as gruff and a little dirty. ;)
Last edited by Edmund Kattak on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indeed,
Ed

John Johnson

#5 Post by John Johnson »

Edmund Kattak wrote: Her charachter in this movie strikes me as gruff and a little dirty. ;)
Hopefully, it won't be too far removed from the tv series. One of my all time favourite tv shows, next to The Professionals.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

I was a little dismayed to see an early sex scene between Ray Winstone and Haley Atwell.
Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. That is not going to inspire me to watch it lol.

Edmund Kattak

#7 Post by Edmund Kattak »

AndyDursin wrote:
I was a little dismayed to see an early sex scene between Ray Winstone and Haley Atwell.
Yeah, that was the point that made me turn it off for now and revisit it later (Hopefully). So far, Damian Lewis had a walk-on walk-off scene. It kinda reminded me of how BAD the Sean Connery 1975 opus THE TERRORISTS was. If you've seen that, it appears as though Connery walks into a scene, mumbles a few lines of dialogue, then walks off - in just about the entire first half or so of the film. I hope good 'ol Damian isn't relegated to doing that for the rest of the film.
Indeed,
Ed

John Johnson

#8 Post by John Johnson »

I get the feeling Network DVD aren't impressed with the film. :D

On Sale Now: The Original. The Best. The Sweeney

It is an offence to impersonate a police officer - especially Jack Regan of the Sweeney!

They are the Sweeney, son. And they haven’t had any dinner… Relive the most ground-breaking British police drama ever made. Regan and Carter are part of New Scotland Yard’s infamous Flying Squad. Mixing with London’s seedy underworld they clear the streets of the Smoke's hardest criminals.

Last week, Regan was listed as one of Time Out's London Top Ten TV 'Tecs, described as "The '70s rozzer against which all others are measured,"

http://networkonair.com/features/2013/0 ... dium=email

John Johnson

#9 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:
Alot of that happened in the original tv series. Regan and Carter were often seen with a local bit of skirt. Hearing about this in the film for me is more in keeping with the tv series. On a side note, this new film version is the third Sweeney film. During the 70s, there were two feature films which featured the original cast.

Edmund Kattak

#10 Post by Edmund Kattak »

John Johnson wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:
Alot of that happened in the original tv series. Regan and Carter were often seen with a local bit of skirt. Hearing about this in the film for me is more in keeping with the tv series. On a side note, this new film version is the third Sweeney film. During the 70s, there were two feature films which featured the original cast.

But in the series, what was the age difference between Regan and Carter? I don't know how that scene in the film was received, but on this side of the pond I can see it being a bit of turn-off - although we all know that sort of stuff happens a lot anyway!
Indeed,
Ed

John Johnson

#11 Post by John Johnson »

Not too sure about Regan's age, but I believe Carter gives his age as 26 in the episode "Hit and Run".

However, I did find this.

When watching the Sweeney, I thought John Thaw looked like a man in his late 40s or early 50s and this was how old the character of Regan was. I recall one episode where Regan chases a villain and says he is getting to old to do this and Carter sometimes teases Regan about his age. I was surpised to discover that John Thaw was only 33 when the Sweeney started. Does anyone else feel that John Thaw looked older than his age and are there any episodes of the Sweeney where it is indicated how old the character of Regan was supposed to be.

http://www.thetvlounge.co.uk/sweeney/vi ... 22&start=0

Edmund Kattak

#12 Post by Edmund Kattak »

Okay, so there's a 25 year difference between Winstone and Atwell - still a bit weird. As far as Winstone (Regan) and Drew (Carter), I don't see a problem as of yet. I like the kick-ass initiative of Carter in the first ten minutes, but I don't know the original series to say anything beyond that.
Indeed,
Ed

John Johnson

#13 Post by John Johnson »

Entertainment One will release a combo pack edition of director Nick Love's The Sweeney (2012), starring Ray Winstone Hayley Atwell, and Damian Lewis. The release will be available for purchase online and in stores across the nation on April 2.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10502

John Johnson

#14 Post by John Johnson »

Original trailers for the two original Sweeney films. Old school.

John Johnson

#15 Post by John Johnson »

Now that The Sweeney film from 2012 is a distant memory (the shootout in Trafalgar Square being the only good scene), The French jumped on the bandwagon in 2016 with what looks like a straight remake for the French market called The Squad (aka Antigang). In the UK, the film was released as The Sweeney:Paris. With the addition of Jean Reno, surely it couldn't be as bad as it's predecessor.

I have been on the lookout for the Blu-ray release, but it seems not even the French wanted to release it on this format. Now it seems it has come out, but in Australia of all places. I have a few films to order from part of the world, so I'll be adding it next to Charlie and Boots, a Paul Hogan comedy, the original Lost Horizon, The Dish and The Castle.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-sho ... he/973479/