CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER - 4/14

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Edmund Kattak

Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER - 4/14

#46 Post by Edmund Kattak »

AndyDursin wrote:The "Batfleck" angle will do a lot more for that Bat/Supes film than the "Man of Steel 2" part is going to. Kind of like SUPERMAN RETURNS -- with an added $100 mil thrown in because of 3-D and inflation more or less -- I don't feel the "fanboys" embraced MAN OF STEEL a whole lot, as evidenced by Warner making this movie more of a JUSTICE LEAGUE prequel than "MAN OF STEEL 2" as it were.

Either way it's good to see Cap doing so well. The first movie -- for whatever reason (period setting, etc.) -- just did "okay" by Marvel standards.
Those keep citing "THE AVENGERS" effect as being the reason behind the bigger profits of IRON MAN 3, THOR 2, and now CAP 2. The second THOR movie wasn't that great, but it did much more business than the first one (The first one was better). CAP 2 may be in a slightly different place because it is tapping the modern era, with a story that has overtones of the kind of spying that we've been seeing in the news lately - but in a Marvel context. That said, I still really liked the first CAP movie because of the moral construct of that era, as well as the period. I don't think many younger audiences connected with it for that reason. Sure you had the comic book fans and older crowd, but the social media culture just doesn't get it.

That brings us to CAP 2. Steve Rogers is still the same guy with high moral fiber - who is learning about the moral ambiguities of those around him. Here's a guy who "keeps a list" and "writes it down," when someone tells him what he missed and should seek out. But the storyline, oft compared to the 1970's conspiracy movie (like THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR, PARRALAX VIEW, MARATHON MAN, etc.), makes me think that it kind of appeals to those fifty and sixty somethings who gravitated towards those movies. CAP 2 throws in a little of everything. Even the cinematography has a strangely 1970's feel to it, but not like ARGO which was set in that period. I think this movie has a lot to offer everybody. Make no mistake, it is not perfect, but not nearly as stale as THOR 2 was. I'll have to see it again to absorb more. The good thing is that the trailers don't really reveal any of the movie's surprises or disclose to much of it's DNA. We'll see what you think. Everyone has a different pair of eyes and processes things differently.
Indeed,
Ed

Mike Skerritt

#47 Post by Mike Skerritt »

I get why, but I think they overplayed the "70's paranoia thriller" hand. It's more of the Social Commentary Dressed as Sci-Fi genre. It has much more in common with MINORITY REPORT than THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR.

Either way, I really dug it. THE AVENGERS hits higher highs, but CAP 2 is much better paced and more consistent.

Monterey Jack

Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER - 4/14 - New Trailer

#48 Post by Monterey Jack »

Edmund Kattak wrote:The scene with a much older Peggy (Good makeup job on Haley Atwell) was great - I just wished they had more of it.
Actually, that's the one scene I could have done without...I thought the makeup on Haley Atwell was AWFUL, and the earlier scene with Steve watching the 50's-era film of her in the museum was enough to set up the girl and the world he was still pining for. They should have just written that she died while Steve was frozen in the Arctic. The nursing home scene just felt awkward and embarrassing.

Other than that, I greatly enjoyed the film (8/10), a cool 70's conspiracy thriller with modern-day action sequences and a tone that was appreciably "gritty" without being completely dour and humorless. Nice to see Robert Redford again.

AndyDursin

#49 Post by AndyDursin »

Enjoyed it a lot -- more than the last THOR -- though you were right Ed, I think it had one of the most useless "film scores" in history. Yes, I found it THAT worthless. It could've easily been library music -- nondescript noise that added nothing to the film and failed to add one bit of dramatic engagement, even when the movie needed it.

Otherwise, the story was solid, I liked how they worked in Cap's past and the original film as a motivation for several plot points. The Hayley Atwell scene worked well enough and I felt the make-up was very effective -- if anything, tthe movie could've used more of that. I think it needed her involvement because there's a connection between her and Emily Vancamp's role -- it's hinted at (she's on the phone with her aunt when she passes Cap in the hallway), but they chose not to develop that angle...I guess they're going to hold that off until Part III.

In contrast to wanting more of Emily's Sharon Carter, I would have liked less Scarjo -- I personally don't find Black Widow all that interesting -- and is it wrong of me for wishing that Nick Fury actually died? Jackson has just phoned in these performances IMO. Basically, though, when Jenny Agutter gets to kick some ass, what's wrong with that? lol.

All it needed was a good film score which would've added to the picture and given it an emotional range. I would say more than any other Marvel score (yeah, even the terrible Iron Man score by Ramin Noodles), this score did the least for the film it was supporting, and that says something.

John Johnson

#50 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:and is it wrong of me for wishing that Nick Fury actually died? Jackson has just phoned in these performances IMO. Basically, though, when Jenny Agutter gets to kick some ass, what's wrong with that? lol.
Jackson will appear in the season finale of Agents of Shield.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/s227/agent ... blVSZ1UMWm
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#51 Post by AndyDursin »

Anyone else notice Massachusetts spelled wrong onscreen a half dozen times when the ships are about to launch? I think it was spelled Massachusettes or something like that lol on some computer map they kept using.

Edmund Kattak

#52 Post by Edmund Kattak »

AndyDursin wrote:Anyone else notice Massachusetts spelled wrong onscreen a half dozen times when the ships are about to launch? I think it was spelled Massachusettes or something like that lol on some computer map they kept using.
I guess even S.H.I.E.L.D. has people who can't spell.
Indeed,
Ed

Monterey Jack

#53 Post by Monterey Jack »

Movies cost $200 goddamn million dollars, and yet they can't afford a spell-checker?! :?

AndyDursin

#54 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:Movies cost $200 goddamn million dollars, and yet they can't afford a spell-checker?! :?
I did a double take, because it was on-screen the first time -- and I was like "did they really spell it wrong?" Then it cut back to the same graphic, and it was spelled wrong again!

I also found it funny two of the only states that were even designated on the map were Connecticut and "Massachusettes".

I wonder if it'll be corrected by the time it hits Blu-Ray...