EDGE OF TOMORROW "Repositioned" as "Live Die Repeat"

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

EDGE OF TOMORROW "Repositioned" as "Live Die Repeat"

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

What a HORRIBLE title.

Anyway, it's STARSHIP TROOPERS meets GROUNDHOG DAY in this plot description:

In the movie directed by Doug Liman from Dante Harper’s script, Earth is attacked by a brutal, relentless alien race known as Mimics. Cruise plays inexperienced Lt. Col. Bill Cage, who’s dropped into combat and winds up in a time loop reliving the same battle over and over. In an echo of Groundhog Day, Cruise’s character learns enough from each repetition to become more formidable against the enemy. Emily Blunt also stars. The Warner Bros-Village Roadshow movie is set to open June 2014

Monterey Jack

Re: ALL YOU NEED IS KILL - Another Tom Cruise Sci-Fi Flick

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:What a HORRIBLE title.

All you need is kill...

All you need is kill...

All you need is kill, kill...

Kill is all you need.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

I hope that makes the soundtrack. Zimmer is a genius at times! (I kid, I have no idea if he's scoring it -- but I know what it'll sound like if he does)

mkaroly

#4 Post by mkaroly »

Honestly, it sounds (and looks) like a joke.

John Johnson

#5 Post by John Johnson »

It's not everyday that Trafalgar Square gets shut down.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... opter.html
London. Greatest City in the world.

Eric W.

#6 Post by Eric W. »

Beyond hideous movie title. Not sure about the concept itself.

I guess Tom was due to make another bomb at some point. This has hallmarks.

Monterey Jack

#7 Post by Monterey Jack »

Retitled Edge Of Tomorrow...didn't see that one coming. :lol:

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

LOL even though the new title is generic, ALL YOU NEED IS KILL is one of the worst titles I can conceive of.

This movie's overriding question will be whether or not it's just another generic Tom Cruise sci-fi flick. After OBLIVION did only okay business, this movie's success is certainly not a sure thing.

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

Trailer's out.

GROUNDHOG DAY meets STARSHIP TROOPERS indeed. Where's Stephen Tobolowsky when you need him? Seriously, I might check it out, Liman is a solid director and it looks like it might be decent.

Monterey Jack

#10 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:Where's Stephen Tobolowsky when you need him?
"Ned...Ryerson...?"

"Bing...!"

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:Where's Stephen Tobolowsky when you need him?
"Ned...Ryerson...?"

"Bing...!"
:lol:

Worth a look if you've never seen it:

Monterey Jack

Re: EDGE OF TOMORROW [formerly ALL YOU NEED IS KILL] - Trail

#12 Post by Monterey Jack »

I always remember him from Sneakers.

"Hi! my-name-is-WERNER BRANDES-my-name-is-my-Passport?-verify-me"

AndyDursin

Re: EDGE OF TOMORROW [formerly ALL YOU NEED IS KILL] - Trail

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

Looks like Cruise has delivered another solid genre outing after all. Had a better feeling about this after the last trailer -- though Variety seems indifferent to its commercial prospects.
"An enjoyably gimmicky entertainment is not only one of Cruise’s better recent efforts, it’s also arguably the most purely pleasurable film Doug Liman has directed in the 12 years since “The Bourne Identity.
"not an action movie first and foremost, but rather a cheeky little puzzle picture in expensive-looking blockbuster drag."
“Groundhog Day” and “Starship Troopers” make surprisingly compatible bedfellows in “Edge of Tomorrow,” a cleverly crafted and propulsively executed sci-fi thriller in which an untrained soldier must relive the same day over and over again — expiring violently each time — until he finds a way to defeat the alien marauders that have taken Earth hostage. That our ill-prepared hero is played by Tom Cruise lends a sly if perhaps unintended layer of subtext to this smarter-than-average star vehicle, insofar as the now 51-year-old actor seems to have embraced a similar trial-and-error career strategy: testing out one man-of-action persona after another in his ongoing (some would say undying) bid for bankability. Alas, B.O. success is likely to elude him this time out, as Warners’ June 6 release feels surprisingly low on buzz and audience awareness for an f/x-heavy picture with a $175 million pricetag. International returns will have to work extra-hard to make up the difference.
http://variety.com/2014/film/reviews/fi ... 201184836/

AndyDursin

Re: EDGE OF TOMORROW - "Cleverly Crafted" - June 6th

#14 Post by AndyDursin »

Interesting...I have to say, as terrible a title as ALL YOU NEED IS KILL would've been, the hugely bland EDGE OF TOMORROW didn't help matters either.
Studios often lament the fact they have to remarket a movie when it’s about to hit home entertainment platforms, costing them millions in extra advertising dollars.

But in “Edge of Tomorrow’s” case, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment appears to be embracing the chance for a redo and is touting the film’s “Live Die Repeat” slogan over the film’s actual title (see below). The original source material for the time-looping Doug Liman-directed sci-fi actioner was “All You Need is Kill.”

On the film’s DVD and Blu-ray disc packaging, available for purchase Oct. 7, the title doesn’t even appear until Cruise and co-star Emily Blunt in the same line.

“Edge of Tomorrow,” although well received by critics, stumbled at the box office, earning $364 million worldwide, and just $99 million in the U.S.

That’s not to say “Live Die Repeat” wasn’t prominent in the film’s original marketing campaign.

The slogan was front and center in the film’s posters and billboards, creating potential over the film’s title, as well. But on a smaller box cover — and its final design — the words stand out even more.
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/tom-c ... 201283383/

Monterey Jack

Re: EDGE OF TOMORROW - "Cleverly Crafted" - June 6th

#15 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:Interesting...I have to say, as terrible a title as ALL YOU NEED IS KILL would've been, the hugely bland EDGE OF TOMORROW didn't help matters either.
I'm reminded of an entry in Roger Ebert's Little Movie Glossary, "BLANC", which stood for the Bureau of Lame and Anemic Name-Changes, where movie titles that are unique and eye-catching are substituted for ones that are banal and uncommercial (i.e. Cop Tips Waitress $2 Million became It Could Happen To You, Cloak & Diapers became Undercover Blues, ect.). Honestly, as silly as All You Need Is Kill was...is was certainly a lot more memorable than Edge Of Tomorrow, which could have been about anything. :? Live, Die, Repeat is actually a good middle ground between the two. Just a shame that such an enjoyable movie got lost in the summer crush...it ought to find a more appreciative audience at home.