ALIEN: PARADISE LOST - PROMETHEUS Sequel Title

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Mike Skerritt

Re: PROMETHEUS 2 - Production Starts Fall '14

#16 Post by Mike Skerritt »

Monterey Jack wrote:dry, pretentious stuff like The Counsellor. :?
I would've said the same thing about PROMETHEUS :wink:

AndyDursin

Re: PROMETHEUS 2 - Production Starts Fall '14

#17 Post by AndyDursin »

Ridley just confirmed his "next movie" is indeed PROMETHEUS 2 to Empire -- production looks like it's starting in January.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... m-20150827

Also not coincidentally, Blomkamp's ALIEN 5 will be delayed to make sure this gets out of the gate first:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/33574 ... g-patient/

Heres the text about it from the Empire MARTIAN piece:
They faced another challenge when the film’s release date was brought forward. But according to Damon, the typically fast-working Scott didn’t worry. “Ridley was done with the movie about two weeks after we shot!” he smiles. “I was already on to my next movie!” adds Scott. “I was starting to look for locations for my next movie, which is Prometheus 2.” Back to space so soon?

Monterey Jack

Re: PROMETHEUS 2 - Scott Directing, Shooting Starts in Janua

#18 Post by Monterey Jack »

I'm sure than Andy and I are two of the only people who will admit to liking Prometheus (seriously, just mention liking that movie casually at any other message board, and you'll get EVISCERATED), so I'm happy this will actually be happening. I just wonder if Fox will force Scott to tie the movie into the events of Blomkamp's Alien movie, since that film is getting pushed back.

AndyDursin

#19 Post by AndyDursin »

Scott is also producing ALIEN 5 so there could well be a master plan, even if it's just a minor shared plot element (like the derelict ship). This article from the spring mentions that Blomkamp and Scott had already talked about the two projects not getting their signals crossed:

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/03/25/ ... st-2807934

Beyond that, though, the timelines are so different I'm not sure how much you could directly connect Prometheus 2 and Alien 5. It's probably more likely you'd connect ALIEN 5 with the "Prometheus universe" than the other way around...I also think Scott is going to make whatever movie he wants, and Blomkamp is likely going to make what he wants. Still, if they're in it together, you could put an easter egg or two in there to placate die-hard fans if nothing else.

mkaroly

#20 Post by mkaroly »

Monterey Jack wrote:I'm sure than Andy and I are two of the only people who will admit to liking Prometheus (seriously, just mention liking that movie casually at any other message board, and you'll get EVISCERATED), so I'm happy this will actually be happening. I just wonder if Fox will force Scott to tie the movie into the events of Blomkamp's Alien movie, since that film is getting pushed back.
Count me as one who liked (nay, loved) PROMETHEUS and am giddy with excitement about anything ALIEN related coming to theaters. I am hopeless as I even liked the AVP series...lol...at any rate, I saw PROMETHEUS a few times in the theater and a couple of times at home, so it is the movie I have watched most in recent memory.

Monterey Jack

#21 Post by Monterey Jack »

mkaroly wrote:I am hopeless as I even liked the AVP series...lol...
The first was okay, but Requiem... :shock: Hands-down the worst film inspired by either franchise.

mkaroly

#22 Post by mkaroly »

Monterey Jack wrote:
mkaroly wrote:I am hopeless as I even liked the AVP series...lol...
The first was okay, but Requiem... :shock: Hands-down the worst film inspired by either franchise.
I am so hopeless that I think ALIEN:RESURRECTION is worse than AVP:R, but by just a scosh. I would rather watch AVP:R than A:R...neither film gets viewed much by me anymore. But, I guess the first step to recovery is admitting one has a problem...lol...

sprocket

#23 Post by sprocket »

Prometheus was only OK but really thought the ending fight between the 'navigator' alien and the 'alien mother' was really creepy. :shock:

AndyDursin

#24 Post by AndyDursin »

Excellent, wide-ranging interview with Scott in Deadline mentions PROMETHEUS 2:

http://deadline.com/2015/09/ridley-scot ... 201522484/
DEADLINE: Where do you take the Prometheus 2 plot?

SCOTT: You can either say, leave the first film alone and jump ahead, but you can’t because it ends on too specific a plot sentence as she says, I want to go where they came from, I don’t want to go back to where I came from. I thought the subtext of that film was a bit florid and grandiose, but it asks a good question: who created us? I don’t think we are here by accident. I find it otherwise hard to believe you and I are sitting here at this table, because the molecular miracles that would have had to occur were in the trillions, since the first sign of human life that crawled out of the mud with four fingers, would bloody well be impossible, unless there was some guidance system. Also, you have the sun approximately the same distance from earth as it is from maybe millions of planets and planetoids that are almost identical distance and therefore enjoy the value of sunlight on their soil. Are you telling me there are no other planets with human life? I simply don’t believe it.

That raises the question to me, same as was depicted in 2001 when that object comes hurtling through space, and lands in Ethiopia. And an ape that had been grubbing around in the water hole with all of them bickering at each other, goes up and touches it. He has a bigger thought injected into his brain than Newton got sitting under a tree and seeing an apple fall. Stanley then picks something metaphorically poetic in its violence, as the ape picks up a hip bone and brains the anteater so they can eat him. That is one gigantic, magnificent leap of a thousand years of evolution; that is where the world begins. It is pretty grand thinking, and that’s what I want to explore. You’ve got to go back and find those engineers and see what they are thinking. If engineers are the forerunners of us, and therefore were creators of life forms in places that were possible for biology to function, who created that? Where’s the big boy? You think this was all an accident? I don’t know. Even Stephen Hawking now says, I am not sure. He no longer believes in the big bang.

DEADLINE: Based on all the press I read about Exodus, I thought you were an atheist.

SCOTT: I’m not, really. I’m a logical agnostic. I keep asking questions, and keep going back to…how can this be…we’re it? Come on. But there is no perfect answer.

AndyDursin

#25 Post by AndyDursin »

Ridley touting MORE sequels after this one now:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/se ... ilms-alien

AndyDursin

#26 Post by AndyDursin »

ALIEN: PARADISE LOST is apparently the PROMETHEUS sequel title.

Straight from the horse's mouth...

Eric Paddon

#27 Post by Eric Paddon »

The term "logical agnostic" for me rates right up there in the category of amusing oxymorons but I'll just leave it at that.