ALIEN: PARADISE LOST - PROMETHEUS Sequel Title

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

ALIEN: PARADISE LOST - PROMETHEUS Sequel Title

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

...writer hired, and it's not Damon Lindelof, thankfully!

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/jack-pa ... metheus-2/

Jack Paglen‘s had quite a ride since his script Transcendence made the 2012 Black List. That one was picked up by Alcon Entertainment, which hired Christopher Nolan collaborator and Oscar-winning cinematographer Wally Pfister to make his directorial debut. Warner Bros is releasing it April 25, 2014 and Johnny Depp, Rebecca Hall, Paul Bettany and Kate Mara are starring. Now Paglen’s in negotiations for Ridley Scott’s Prometheus 2, another sci-fi themed-story and the sequel to Fox’s June 2012 pic that starred Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, Noomi Rapace and Idris Elba and grossed $400M-plus worldwide. Fox had announced previously that a sequel was in the works.

Monterey Jack

Re: PROMETHEUS 2 - Looks Like It's Happening

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

I'll believe it when I start seeing pictures from the set after they begin filming.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

I'll be surprised more if it doesn't happen than it does. $400 million worldwide on a budget that didn't spiral out of control -- that's quite good. Simple economics dictate that, one way or another, they'll make it, especially if Scott isn't interested in directing it. I'd imagine at this point he'd probably just produce it, which would get things moving quicker.

mkaroly

#4 Post by mkaroly »

I would be really happy with a second film. Here's hoping!

Mike Skerritt

#5 Post by Mike Skerritt »

I'll be happy as long as they don't revisit the sins of the first movie, which hopefully is more likely now that Lindelof isn't involved.

PROMETHES actually angers me if I think about it too much. For a film that looks so immaculate and has so many interesting ideas in the set up to literally piss all of that away in the name of an empty, hollow, offensively stupid Mystery Box just makes my skin crawl.

Paul MacLean

#6 Post by Paul MacLean »

I liked Prometheus when I first saw it, but less so on second viewing. At its core it is really just an Alien remake -- they land on a strange planet, decide to explore a strange alien structure, get contaminated and (with the help of a treacherous android loyal to the company) bring the contaminant into the ship and almost everyone dies.

I also thought the ending was odd, as we see Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbinder leaving the alien ship...and then in the last shot the alien ship takes-off, presumably with them on board. :?

The performances, art direction, photography and effects were excellent, and it was a essentially entertaining, but nowhere near in league with the original Alien, or Aliens.

I wish Scott would dust-off that old Guy Fawkes screenplay he's been meaning to make since the 70s.
Last edited by Paul MacLean on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

jkholm

#7 Post by jkholm »

I really enjoyed Prometheus and thought it was one of last summer's best movies. I especially liked the way it incorporated philosophical questions about humanity and the relationship between man and creator. That's not something you typically see in a big budget sci-fi movie (or if you do, it's not handled very well.) The genre elements were well done as well.

Mike Skerritt

#8 Post by Mike Skerritt »

jkholm wrote:I especially liked the way it incorporated philosophical questions about humanity and the relationship between man and creator. That's not something you typically see in a big budget sci-fi movie (or if you do, it's not handled very well.) The genre elements were well done as well.
My big problem was that the film in no way reflected the conviction of those questions. They become a smokescreen, neither pushing the narrative forward nor making thematic sense in any substantial way. It's incredibly fertile ground for an interesting sci fi movie, even an ALIEN film, but it never decides what it wants to be. Instead it devolves into a mishmash of genre tropes driven by characters dumber than your typical slasher flick.

I so wanted this movie to be good, and they came so close in so many respects - I would put the first 15 minutes against anything that came out last year - but it so utterly fails to deliver on its promises that I just can't see myself ever watching it again.

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

jkholm wrote:I really enjoyed Prometheus and thought it was one of last summer's best movies. I especially liked the way it incorporated philosophical questions about humanity and the relationship between man and creator. That's not something you typically see in a big budget sci-fi movie (or if you do, it's not handled very well.) The genre elements were well done as well.
That was my reaction as well. Though as we found out, Lindelof de-ALIENed the screenplay and did nothing else, the film had actual ideas -- and some gorgeous art design -- in the picture. Even if all the concepts aren't entirely developed, they are also there, so the film worked for me, and I can see myself revisiting the film here and there again, because I like the look of the picture and the atmosphere so much. Compare it to the bombast of this summer's mind-numbing genre fare like STAR TREK or MAN OF STEEL and I'll be up for a return to the PROMETHEUS universe. Hopefully they'll have a better handle on the plot, though I think too many nitpickers sat there and ripped apart certain elements that you could rip apart in ANY science fiction film.
Paul MacLean wrote:I also thought the ending was odd, as we see Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbinder leaving the alien ship...and then in the last shot the alien ship takes-off, presumably with them on board.
It's a bit confusing, but it's a different ship they left on. There's a line of dialogue where Fassbinder tells her there are other ships he can pilot.

mkaroly

#10 Post by mkaroly »

The more I watch it, the more I like it. I do wish they had expanded a few of the scenes to flesh out the narrative and/or answer some of the questions left on the table, but at least the film had me thinking long after the movie was over...and that is more than I can say for most stuff that I have seen recently! And the visuals are stunning and marvelous.

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

Looks like PROMETHEUS 2 might be shooting this fall because Fox has an "untitled Ridley Scott" project now lined up for 2016.

The Wrap confirms it's the PROMETHEUS sequel in this article, with the writer Scott hired to pen the as-of-yet-unproduced BLADE RUNNER project doing a rewrite. This has moved ahead of the BLADE RUNNER project which I think is a good thing overall.

Apparently this one will be more "ALIEN-y" which is no shocker, and has become a "priority" for Fox. As I said, Scott turns in reasonably budgeted fare and with $400 mil in the bank for PROMETHEUS, I think this one is going to happen.

http://www.thewrap.com/prometheus-2-lan ... exclusive/

After working with Ridley Scott on a new “Blade Runner” movie, veteran scribe Michael Green has been hired to rewrite the untitled “Prometheus” sequel for 20th Century Fox, TheWrap has learned.

Jack Paglen (“Transcendence”) wrote the original draft of the screenplay.

Multiple sources have told TheWrap that the “Untitled Ridley Scott Project” that 20th Century Fox announced it will release in March 2016 is “Prometheus 2,” although the film may not ultimately use that title. An insider told TheWrap that production is scheduled to start this fall, after Scott has delivered his Moses movie “Exodus” to Fox.

“Prometheus” served as an ‘unofficial’ prequel to Scott's seminal 1979 sci-fi movie “Alien,” and the sequel that Green will write aims to be much more “alien-y” and in line with the terrifying tone of past films in the franchise. Additionally, the sequel is expected to feature multiple ‘David’ androids, which means there will be more than one Michael Fassbender on screen at the same time, according to an individual familiar with the project.

20th Century Fox had no comment regarding the film's plot details or title.

“Prometheus” starred Noomi Rapace as Elizabeth Shaw, a God-fearing archaeologist tasked with finding the Engineers, an alien race that served as the architects of humanity. Fassbender co-starred as an android named David whose remains, by the end of the film, help sole human survivor Shaw launch an Engineer spacecraft bound for their home planet. The last shot featured an alien creature bursting out of an Engineer's chest, and a sequel will likely incorporate that terrifying development.

Green was hired to write “Blade Runner” back in May 2013 and he is currently finishing a polish of the script. While Alcon and Scott Free are keen to start production on that project, the “Prometheus” sequel is in first position for Scott. The sequel has become a priority project at Fox, as the first film grossed more than $400 million worldwide.

Green worked on “Smallville” and “Heroes” before he wrote “Green Lantern” for Warner Bros., which also hired him to pen “The Flash.” He's repped by WME, 3 Arts Entertainment and attorney Patti C. Felker.

Paul MacLean

Re: PROMETHEUS 2 - Fall Shoot for a 2016 Release (?)

#12 Post by Paul MacLean »

I can understand Fox wanting a sequel to a big hit, but I personally wish Scott would hand the reigns to someone else and direct his Blade Runner followup instead.

AndyDursin

Re: PROMETHEUS 2 - Fall Shoot for a 2016 Release (?)

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

Production is confirmed to start this fall, so it's a go.

Monterey Jack

Re: PROMETHEUS 2 - Production Starts Fall '14

#14 Post by Monterey Jack »

Good to hear. Unlike a lot of geeks who groused about nitpicky crap ("She should have run sideways!"), I greatly enjoyed Prometheus, and would rather see Scott spend his Golden Years making movies like this than dry, pretentious stuff like The Counsellor. :?

AndyDursin

Re: PROMETHEUS 2 - Production Starts Fall '14

#15 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:Good to hear. Unlike a lot of geeks who groused about nitpicky crap ("She should have run sideways!"), I greatly enjoyed Prometheus, and would rather see Scott spend his Golden Years making movies like this than dry, pretentious stuff like The Counsellor. :?
Still haven't seen it. No review copy and I am having a hard time justifying spending $10 on a used version lol