BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (and Galactica 1980) On Blu-Ray!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Eric Paddon

Re: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (and Galactica 1980) On Blu-Ray!

#31 Post by Eric Paddon »

Given the trends noted elsewhere, I'm not buying the argument that politics plays no role in any reluctance to put out "True Lies". I'm not saying it's *the* overriding reason, but it certainly has to be *a* factor.

At this stage, "True Lies" is the only film with Cameron's name on it I'd ever want to own a copy of.

DavidBanner

#32 Post by DavidBanner »

Eric, you're of course entitled to your opinion about why James Cameron hasn't prioritized making Blu-rays of The Abyss or True Lies. I personally think it has less to do with politics than with Cameron not feeling it important to spend time revisiting these movies when he'd rather do more current things. I do wonder whether some people like certain movies because of their politics, so there is the notion that it cuts both ways. It's curious that you find True Lies to be the one James Cameron movie that you'd ever want to own. More so than Aliens or The Terminator, either of which has many more interesting concepts than can be found in most of the rest of Cameron's resume?

In any case, this is a distraction from the point of this thread, which was to discuss the upcoming release of the original series of Battlestar Galactica on Blu-ray in the US. I'm curious to see what this will look like - I had already ordered the UK edition, but if I see a US version coming quickly enough, I'll be happy to cancel the UK idea and just go with the one for this region. And I hadn't known that Galactica 1980 episodes had been repackaged as Battlestar Galactica material - seems to me that they wouldn't be compatible, particularly given that the cast was almost completely different, and the 1980 batch was mostly aimed toward younger kids.

Eric Paddon

#33 Post by Eric Paddon »

Aliens I do have. I think of it so much in connection with the first film continuing a storyline that I often forget he did that film. I've never seen a single Terminator film in my life and really don't have any interest in seeing them. I'll say nothing about Titanic since I've vented my hate for that film enough times over the years.

To clarify though, I don't mean to say Cameron specifically would block a release due to politics, I think the corporate suits would be just as much responsible if not more.

I too would buy a Blu-Ray Galactica in a minute.

John Johnson

#34 Post by John Johnson »

Finally, here’s something cool: This is a project I first saw several years ago, and have long been sworn to secrecy about, but since it’s now leaked somehow on AICN I feel comfortable talking about it here. I have this good buddy named Adam “Mojo” Lebowitz. Some of you may know of him – he was a VFX artist on the new Battlestar Galactica, plus he also worked on Star Trek (including Voyager & The Motion Picture: Director’s Edition), Serenity, Babylon 5, and other great genre projects. Anyway, after Ron Moore’s Battlestar wrapped, he was looking for a new project and hit upon the idea of giving the classic 1970s Battlestar Galactica TV series the same kind of special edition upgrade/revamping that the original Star Trek was getting from CBS. So on his own time, he worked on a demo reel intended to pitch the project to Syfy and Universal Studios Home Entertainment. What you see in the video linked below is the result. It’s a “remastered” space battle scene from the classic episode The Living Legend: Part 1...

The original idea was to remaster the entire series, and then the project became remastering just the two-part episodes, and then finally just The Living Legend: Parts 1 & 2. The problem was, while Universal was reportedly interested in the idea, when the rubber met the road they apparently didn’t want to spend the money. But Mojo kept working to bring the budget down, and down, and down some more... and Universal never bit. This went on for years. Last I heard, the studio (apparently) finally decided not to do the project at all, but rather just to repackage the German Blu-ray set for American consumers. Which would be lame, especially in light of the recent death of series creator Glen A. Larson. So here’s the deal: Classic Battlestar is coming to Blu-ray in early 2015. But don’t expect to see anything like the above on the discs, because Universal turned the idea down. Maybe... just maybe... fans of this series will see Mojo’s demo and let Universal Studios Home Entertainment know (via Facebook and Twitter) that they want more of this on Blu-ray. Because there should be more of this on Blu-ray. It’s pretty fracking awesome. In any case, at least you all now get to enjoy a good look at how cool classic Battlestar remastered might have been.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/m ... 11914_1515
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#35 Post by AndyDursin »

Given the fact that BG isn't STAR TREK and the market for catalog Blu-Rays is as small as it is, it's not "lame" that they'd release the pre-existing HD masters of BG on Blu (and Universal wouldn't want to spend a dime on remastering it further, no matter how low the costs were reduced by his FX "friend"). The US market is fortunate to be getting it at all.

John Johnson

#36 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:Given the fact that BG isn't STAR TREK and the market for catalog Blu-Rays is as small as it is, it's not "lame" that they'd release the pre-existing HD masters of BG on Blu (and Universal wouldn't want to spend a dime on remastering it further, no matter how low the costs were reduced by his FX "friend"). The US market is fortunate to be getting it at all.
Yes.
I find it odd the extras for the UK version still haven't been listed yet.

John Johnson

#37 Post by John Johnson »

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif., Nov. 24, 2014 - From renowned writer/producer Glen A. Larson, the creative force behind Knight Rider, The Six Million Dollar Man, and Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, comes the groundbreaking TV series that launched one of the most beloved sci-fi franchises in history, now available in widescreen and high definition as both Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection and Battlestar Galactica: The Remastered Collection come to Blu-ray on May 12, 2015 from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment. These essential collections for Battlestar Galactica devotees include all 24 explosive episodes of Battlestar Galactica: The Original Series plus the complete 10-episode spin-off series, Galactica 1980.

Newly remastered in 16:9 widescreen presentation for the very first time, Battlestar Galactica: The Remastered Collection features both pioneering series meticulously reformatted to be optimized for the HDTV viewing experience. Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection also includes both series in 4:3 Full Frame as they were originally televised, plus the theatrical version of the premiere episode "Saga of a Star World" presented in 1.85:1 Widescreen for the ultimate collector.

This epic adventure, which provided the inspiration for the critically acclaimed 2004 Syfy reimagined series, comes with over 4 hours of bonus features, including over 3 hours of deleted scenes from Battlestar Galactica: The Original Series! These collections also includes featurettes such as "Glen Larson on the Creation of Battlestar Galactica" and "Stu Phillips: Composing the Score" with an inside look at the genesis of this remarkable production, and "Remembering Battlestar Galactica," a 45-minute retrospective documentary featuring cast and crew on the making of this ground-breaking series.

In Battlestar Galactica: The Original Series, the Twelve Colonies, hopeful for lasting peace following centuries of intense warfare, gather to sign a treaty with their dreaded enemies, the Cylons. But after an act of treachery on the eve of the ceremony, the Cylons launch a devastating surprise attack, destroying the Colonies' home planets and most of their military strength. A lone flagship battlestar, the Galactica, remains to aid the surviving colonists on their epic journey to a new home on a far-off, legendary planet-Earth.

Battlestar Galactica: The Original Series stars Richard Hatch (The Streets of San Francisco), Dirk Benedict (The A-Team), Lorne Greene (Bonanza), Herbert Jefferson Jr. (Apollo 13), John Colicos (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), Maren Jensen (The Love Boat), Noah Hathaway (The Never Ending Story), Laurette Spang (Airport 1975), Tony Swartz (Dynasty) and Terry Carter (McCloud).

Galactica 1980: The Complete Series picks up 30 years after the events of Battlestar Galactica, as the original crew finally makes the long-anticipated descent to Earth. With time running out and the Cylons closing in on their trail, Commander Adama and the Galactica team work harder than ever to help Earth create the technology necessary for battle.

Galactica 1980: The Complete Series stars Kent McCord (Emergency), Barry Van Dyke (Diagnosis Murder), Robyn Douglass (Breaking Away) and Lorne Greene.

Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection includes:
Battlestar Galactica: The Original Series (Widescreen and Full Frame)
Galactica 1980: The Complete Series (Widescreen and Full Frame)
Battlestar Galactica - The 125-minute theatrical edit of the premiere episode "Saga of a Star World"

Battlestar Galactica: The Remastered Collection includes:
Battlestar Galactica: The Original Series (Widescreen)
Galactica 1980: The Complete Series (Widescreen)

Blu-ray disc unleashes the power of your HDTV and is the best way to watch movies at home, featuring perfect hi-def picture and hi-def sound. Digital including UltraViolet is a revolutionary new way for fans to collect their movies and TV shows in the cloud. UltraViolet lets consumers instantly stream and download to tablets, smartphones, computers and TVs.

BONUS FEATURES ON BLU-RAY
Over 3 hours of Deleted Scenes
Remembering Battlestar Galactica - a 45-minute retrospective documentary featuring cast and crew on the making of this ground-breaking series.
Episode Commentary with Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict and Herbert Jefferson Jr.
Glen Larson on the Creation of Battlestar Galactica
Stu Phillips: Composing the Score
And More!

THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION - TECHNICAL INFORMATION - Blu-ray
Street Date: 5/12/2015
Running Time: 57 Hrs. 7 Mins
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 Widescreen, 4:3 Full Frame
Languages:
Full Frame & Widescreen Versions: English
Full Frame Version: French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Subtitles:
Full Frame & Widescreen Versions: English SDH, Spanish, French
Full Frame Version: Dutch, Italian, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish, Japanese, Portuguese
Sound: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and DTS Digital Surround 2.0 Mono (Battlestar Galactica: The Original Series), DTS Digital Surround 2.0 (Galactica 1980: The Complete Series)

THE REMASTERED COLLECTION - TECHNICAL INFORMATION - Blu-ray
Street Date: 5/12/2015
Running Time: 27 Hrs. 31 Mins
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 Widescreen
Language: English
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Sound: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and DTS Digital Surround 2.0 Mono (Battlestar Galactica: The Original Series), DTS Digital Surround 2.0 (Galactica 1980: The Complete Series)

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Battle ... tion/20514

DavidBanner

#38 Post by DavidBanner »

Why does the Remastered Collection contain 30 less hours than the Definitive Collection?

Also, the list of extras sounds like they just ported over what was on the earlier US DVD set. What happened to the extras they provided for the German Blu-ray set?

I'm also not understanding why they tried to convert those shows to 16x9. The shows' effects were designed to be viewed on small screens in a square frame. Blowing everything up can only reveal all the flaws in the effects, as well as the drop in quality from constantly re-using the same VFX shots throughout many episodes.

Eric Paddon

#39 Post by Eric Paddon »

Because the "definitive" collection has all the contents of the "remastered" collection plus the episodes presented in their CORRECT aspect ratio, which I suspect is drawn from the older transfers, meaning only the compromised format episodes were given a remastering. Not very good on Universal's part, though I ordered the set anyway.

DavidBanner

#40 Post by DavidBanner »

Thanks Eric. I wasn't clear from the press release. It sounded like the Definitive Collection was the episodes for both series in 4x3 and just the theatrical cut of the pilot in 16x9. I think you're right that it's actually everything in 16x9 and 4x3.

The issue of the missing extras remains, sadly.

AndyDursin

#41 Post by AndyDursin »

I'm totally confused by this.

So the cheaper "remastered" version is basically just the German set with 4:3 HD transfers and minus the extras DVD.

The "definitive" is both series in 4:3 AND 16:9 and with the theatrical movie Blu-Ray added as an extra?

Why even bother with the two SKUs? The theatrical movie was cropped, too, there wasn't anything added to the 16:9 frame AFAIK...so the 16:9 framing for the whole series doesn't make much sense.

DavidBanner

#42 Post by DavidBanner »

There is a crucial difference from the German set - the bonus disc of extras is not included. Instead, the extras from the earlier US DVD set have been used again here.

sprocket

#43 Post by sprocket »

AndyDursin wrote:I'm totally confused by this.
So the cheaper "remastered" version is basically just the German set with 4:3 HD transfers and minus the extras DVD.
I read it as the cheaper 'remastered' version only has 16:9 framing, not 4:3.

You'll have to get the 'definitive' version for the full frame.

TomServo

#44 Post by TomServo »

I'm so ready for this set! I'm happy to get the one that includes both original and 16x9 presentations, plus it includes the movie-cut of the pilot, which I never picked on blu-ray. I'm absolutely excited.

John Johnson

#45 Post by John Johnson »

Here's the clip from The Living Legend with the new CGI footage.