THE ABYSS - 2014? / Transfer finished?

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Mike Skerritt

THE ABYSS - 2014? / Transfer finished?

#1 Post by Mike Skerritt »

Sorry if there is already a thread for this but I searched and didn't see one.

THE ABYSS is airing on Cinemax this month, in what looks to me like a true HD transfer. Widescreen, crystal clear. I've never seen it look this good. I know that Fox and Cameron have been working on a new transfer for Blu for some time with a reported eye on a 2014 release for the movie's 25th anniversary - if that's finished, would they have released it to their network partners for broadcast? Has anyone heard anything about this?

AndyDursin

Re: THE ABYSS - 2014? / Transfer finished?

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

I haven't heard anything on this or TRUE LIES beyond the perennial "it's coming XXX year" threads on various message boards -- which have been saying the same thing since 2007 at this point.

It's good to hear there's an HD master out there though, especially on US outlets. TRUE LIES was in standard def last month on TBS (lol) -- though there ARE 720p/1080i HDTV masters out there of both movies if you look around on the various bittorrents that were captured from various sources.

Mike Skerritt

#3 Post by Mike Skerritt »

I'm glad to know I'm not going crazy then. And it gives me hope for the future Blu release, whenever that may be. What I saw was gorgeous enough and is light years better than any version I've ever seen on TV.

DavidBanner

#4 Post by DavidBanner »

I strongly doubt that they would use a new HD transfer of The Abyss for an airing on Cinemax before the Blu-ray release. When that release finally arrives, you'll see them trumpeting that it's a new master, that it's been personally approved by Cameron, etc. It will be part of the marketing. Until, then, I have to believe that whatever is showing up on cable stations in HD is an older master approved for such purposes but not a reference quality piece of work that Cameron would sign his name to.

mkaroly

#5 Post by mkaroly »

Whatever the case, it is a crime that THE ABYSS has not been released on Blu-Ray. Let's hope it arrives sooner than later! With lots of supplementals...and both cuts!

DavidBanner

#6 Post by DavidBanner »

I expect that the Blu-ray of The Abyss, if they actually release it this year, will contain both cuts and all the extras from the earlier DVD and laserdisc editions. Suppose they might throw on a new commentary or a retrospective featurette, but the stuff that we already have is quite good. The making-of documentary on the laserdisc is candid and doesn't pull its punches.