BATTLESTAR GALACTICA Movie Hires New Writer

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA Movie Hires New Writer

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Guess Bryan Singer is out...

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/battl ... 201153687/
Universal is ramping up a movie version of the sci-fi franchise “Battlestar Galactica,” aiming to develop the film as a complete reimagining of the story.

“Transcendence” writer Jack Paglen has signed on to write the screenplay. Paglen has also committed to Ridley Scott’s “Prometheus” sequel for Fox that will start production this fall.

Original series creator Glen Larson will produce the “Battlestar Galactica” film.

There have been three “Galactica” TV series (including the brief “Galactica 1980″). The first, starring Lorne Greene and Richard Hatch, ran during the 1978-79 season and was centered on humans engaged in a lengthy war against a cybernetic race known as the Cylons while searching for Earth.

In 2003, a reimagined “Battlestar Galactica” miniseries aired on Sci Fi Channel. The second series, starring Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell, went on to run for four seasons.

In 2009, speculation emerged that Bryan Singer was attached to direct a “Battlestar Galactica” movie.

Universal’s exec VP of production Scott Bernstein and director of development Jay Polidoro are overseeing the latest version of “Battlestar Galactica” for the studio.

Warner Bros. will open “Transcendence,” starring Johnny Depp, on April 18.

Paglen is represented by ICM Partners and Lichter Grossman Nichols Adler and Feldman. Larson is represented by the Lichtman Group, manager Denny Bond of Management 3 as well as attorneys Neville Johnson, Douglas Johnson and James Ryan of Johnson & Johnson.

John Johnson

Re: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA Movie Hires New Writer

#2 Post by John Johnson »

London. Greatest City in the world.

Eric Paddon

#3 Post by Eric Paddon »

No interest on my part. The boat set sail long ago on that for me because the only thing that would have satisfied me was a continuation of the TV series (not necessarily all the cast but one designed to give closure to the TV series storyline). Ron Moore hijacked that hope and today I'm not interested in seeing another reimagining of the original premise with new people.

DavidBanner

#4 Post by DavidBanner »

"Original series creator Glen Larson will produce the "Battlestar Galactica" film."

Hmmmmm.

Given that Glen Larson is deceased, I wonder how they intend to pull that one off?

Yes, I know it's probably contractual for Larson to be given a credit in absentia, but that's like saying that Gene Roddenberry will be producing the new Star Trek webisode series for CBS All-Access...

John Johnson

#5 Post by John Johnson »

The Battlestar Galactica movie was first announced back in 2016 by Universal, with Red Sparrow director Francis Lawrence at the helm. However, not much has been talked about since the day that it was announced. The Battlestar Galactica movie was rumored to be based on the original 1978 television series created by Glen A. Larson and in a new interview, Lawrence reveals that he's still working on the project and intends for it to be a mix of the original 1978 series and the later reboot in 2003.

Francis Lawrence revealed that he is still working on the Battlestar Galactica movie along with Westworld co-creator Lisa Joy. The original TV series holds a special place in Lawrence's heart, stating that was the first entertainment set that he had ever been on where he got to try on a Cylon helmet. Francis Lawrence intends to take some of that nostalgia and mix it into the big screen adaptation. He had this to say.

"I'm working on that, that's something I'm developing. I'm working on that with Lisa Joy, who is one of the creators of Westworld. The original series was actually one of the first sets that I ever went on. I remember being a kid and loving that show and they were filming near my house and my mom took me down there and I got to try on a Cylon helmet... There will definitely be visual nods. We're all fans of both series so there will definitely be nods, but for it to be worth doing for us we have to have our own take on it."

While still highly regarded in some circles, the original Battlestar Galactica TV show wasn't much more than a Star Wars rip off. The first series was followed 2 years later by Galactica in 1980 and then followed with a bunch of book adaptations. It wasn't until 2003 that Battlestar Galactica returned to TV with a two-part, three-hour miniseries, which spawned a new show that ran until 2009. A prequel series, Caprica premiered in 2010 and was later cancelled the same year, with the SyFy Network running a marathon in 2011 to show off the rest of the episodes that never originally aired.

All of the projects, including the web series, Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome, all took from the original 1978 source material and turned it into a more mature storyline that brought the franchise more credibility. A movie was the best idea in the early 2000s when the new show was hot and popular, but it's questionable if now is the time to completely reboot the series, since it's only been 8 years since Caprica. Whatever the case may be, Francis Lawrence is looking to blend the original Battlestar Galactica with some of the later iterations, which is an interesting prospect for fans.

Francis Lawrence is out promoting Red Sparrow at the moment, which opens up next week in theaters. Lawrence did not reveal any other details about the Battlestar Galactica movie besides letting everybody know that it is still in development, so hopefully it ends up going into the pre-production stage soon. You can read the rest of the Francis Lawrence interview about Red Sparrow and Battlestar Galactica at ComingSoon.

https://movieweb.com/battlestar-galacti ... -lawrence/

John Johnson

#6 Post by John Johnson »

Eric Paddon

#7 Post by Eric Paddon »

John Johnson wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:34 am While still highly regarded in some circles, the original Battlestar Galactica TV show wasn't much more than a Star Wars rip off........ All of the projects, including the web series, Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome, all took from the original 1978 source material and turned it into a more mature storyline that brought the franchise more credibility........
It's because critics write junk like this that explains why this is still a sore subject all these years later.

Eric Paddon

#8 Post by Eric Paddon »

Here's what the director had to say when asked about the possibility of gender-swapping certain Battlestar Galactica roles.
"Yes absolutely 100 per cent! I'm not going to give any details but 100% there's room for that.""

Cue Rocky the Flying Squirrel, "AGAIN???"

Honestly, what's next after the last one decided that we needed to make two signature characters of the original (Starbuck and Commander Cain) butch females? Female Baltar sells out humanity because female Adama spurned her?