STARGATE Film Coming from Emmerich/Devlin/WB/MGM

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

STARGATE Film Coming from Emmerich/Devlin/WB/MGM

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

I'm guessing this is more a "reboot" than a "remake" seeing as it's likely to be "set in the same universe" or something (lol). Interesting that Devlin is working with Emmerich again after the two parted ways.

Sadly, you know the music won't be as good...

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/mgm-war ... -stargate/
Big day for reboots. First it was Cliffhanger, and now MGM and Warner Bros. announced they are teaming with Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin to create a re-imagined trilogy based on the sci-fi hit Stargate, one of the biggest titles in the MGM library. Emmerich, who directed and co-wrote the original 1994 film with Devlin, is on board to direct this one, with Devlin producing. Those two are already hard at work on a new version of Independence Day at Fox.

MGM’s Gary Barber called Emmerich and Devlin “world-class creators of the original Stargate,” and said they will “bring their reinvigorated vision of this wildly popular property to audiences of multiple generations.”

“The Stargate universe is one that we missed terribly, and we cannot wait to get going on imagining new adventures and situations for the trilogy. This story is very close to our hearts, and getting the chance to revisit this world is in many ways like a long lost child that has found its way back home.” MGM’s Jonathan Glickman will oversee it with Warner Bros’ Greg Silverman. Warners will distribute with MGM handling some international territories. Back in its day, Stargate set the record for highest October gross and did near $200 million in global ticket sales. It went on to have a very successful run as a syndicated TV series.
http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/mgm-war ... -stargate/

Mike Skerritt

Re: STARGATE Film Coming from Emmerich/Devlin/WB/MGM

#2 Post by Mike Skerritt »

They won't have to work too hard to improve on the original, which despite a fantastic first act (typical of the Emmerich/Devlin films) is AWFUL (also typical of the Emmerich/Devlin films).

AndyDursin

Re: STARGATE Film Coming from Emmerich/Devlin/WB/MGM

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

I've never been a huge fan of theirs...even ID4 was a "movie of the moment"...and it hasn't aged well. It was a movie meant to be seen in a big theater with a rowdy crowd (like when Lukas and I saw it with my parents on opening night). Divorced of that it's pretty much just ok.

Emmerich's best movie for me by far was The Patriot. He has a good command of visuals and used to have good taste in film music but lately even those have fallen off the map.

That said I was entertained by Stargate and loved the score although it really blew its chance at greatness (like having the charismatic Russell cast as this stoic unemotive hero). I also have a soft spot for any movie that ends with this big climactic cue as THE END comes flying into the frame.